twinsfindme

Ask a 1L!

15 hours ago, GoLeafsGo said:

I graduated from undergrad debt free because I worked a LOT during my undergrad. My master’s program was funded through the school and working as a TA. I have enjoyed working as a TA and found it rewarding but what I didn’t like was that I felt it was busy when I was busy (i.e. marking essays when I have my essays due and just before exams next year). 

I received a $5000 entrance scholarship from Queens, according to OSAP calculator I should get about $6300 in bursaries (can someone speak to how accurate the calculator is?), so that’s over half my tuition. Would anyone recommend continuing working as a TA as well? 

I actually have a similar experience. I worked 2-3 jobs at a time in undergrad, and managed to graduate debt free (with the help of scholarships). I also TA'd.

I would echo what georgecostanzajr said above - law school is a different beast all together. Now, this does not mean no one works. A very few people have part-time jobs at retail/ cafe occasions. Another handful (like myself) have different jobs for the faculty, like Ambassadors or working for the Marketing or News teams. These lower commitment jobs (5 hrs/week) would be much more manageable, with the work load. Obviously it won't be enough to keep you debt free, but just think - you've done 2 degree already without a penny of debt. That's exceptional. The few thousands you rack up in law school will be nothing compared to your peers. Law students are almost expected to be in debt :P

• Thanks 1

Can someone recommend some particular places to live in?

I'm looking to lease a bachelor/1 bdrm that's in a decent location.

So far, I'm considering the Brock Towers or Skyline. I've ruled out the Princess Towers based on some negative reviews of the building and location (i.e. right beside the clubs, loud). Ideally I'd like something a bit more affordable than Brock/Skyline.

Edited by georgecostanzajr
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 12:17 PM, georgecostanzajr said:

So far, I'm considering the Brock Towers or Skyline. I've ruled out the Princess Towers based on some negative reviews of the building and location (i.e. right beside the clubs, loud). Ideally I'd like something a bit more affordable than Brock/Skyline.

For what it's worth, I lived in Princess Towers and liked it. Sure, it's nothing fancy, there might be some peeling paint on the walls and the building feels like a cross between a residence and a prison, and you get a bit of crowd noise from outside on weekends... but the location was super convenient, there's laundry inside the building, and it was one of the most affordable options for a 1-bedroom. I didn't find the noise level to be THAT far beyond weekend noise living in downtown Toronto. I was there for a few years and didn't regret it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, georgecostanzajr said:

Just an FYI, when I accepted back in March I was looking into housing in Kingston. I reached out to skyline/Brock towers and they were both full, put myself down on a waiting list and haven't heard anything back yet. 

Just because you see ads online doesn't mean they're still available! 

Make lots of calls and see what places are actually available. Good luck!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CreamCheeseLion said:

Just an FYI, when I accepted back in March I was looking into housing in Kingston. I reached out to skyline/Brock towers and they were both full, put myself down on a waiting list and haven't heard anything back yet. 

Just because you see ads online doesn't mean they're still available! 

Make lots of calls and see what places are actually available. Good luck!

Funny enough that you say this because I just went through this. I can't seem to find anything relatively ideal and I've spent hours during the past few days searching for accommodation. They really weren't kidding when they said Kingston doesn't have the best housing market, huh? I'm honestly leaning toward accepting my offer from Western because of this (and a few other reasons). Anyways, thanks for the heads up. I think it serves as an important note for others here as well.

By the way, out of curiosity, have you signed a place or are you still searching? Cheers.

11 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Funny enough that you say this because I just went through this. I can't seem to find anything relatively ideal and I've spent hours during the past few days searching for accommodation. They really weren't kidding when they said Kingston doesn't have the best housing market, huh? I'm honestly leaning toward accepting my offer from Western because of this (and a few other reasons). Anyways, thanks for the heads up. I think it serves as an important note for others here as well.

By the way, out of curiosity, have you signed a place or are you still searching? Cheers.

I did end up signing a place actually, I found it through keystone properties.  If you do end up deciding to go to QL, I suggest checking their website, they still have a few available.

Edit: they are pretty expensive, but they were very helpful and easy to deal with. 

Edited by CreamCheeseLion
Forgot important info!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CreamCheeseLion said:

I did end up signing a place actually, I found it through keystone properties.  If you do end up deciding to go to QL, I suggest checking their website, they still have a few available.

Edit: they are pretty expensive, but they were very helpful and easy to deal with. 

I found a decent place with them (albeit expensive, as you've mentioned), but apparently they only do showings from 9-4 on weekdays. No evenings and weekends (I really don't know how that's possible for a property management company, but it is remarkably so). And on top of that, they won't lease a place to you unless you've attended a showing (or someone on your behalf has). Sigh. Anyways, I have accepted my Western offer. I think this whole search made realize that my preferences for Queen's are mostly trivial, and that both schools will give me excellent opportunities & a similar student experience. Thanks for your help.

What do students generally do during reading week? Does it differ from first year to second year to third year? Would it be okay to go on a trip during that time?

3 hours ago, GoLeafsGo said:

What do students generally do during reading week? Does it differ from first year to second year to third year? Would it be okay to go on a trip during that time?

There is very much a difference depending on your year, so I'll break it down by year. Disclaimer: I just finished 1L, so my knowledge of upper year is second-hand.

TLDR: As long as you're not a 2L planning to do do in-firm interviews in Toronto, go on vacation.

There's a Fall reading week AND a winter reading week, with different implications for each. The Fall reading week for law is different than in undergrad. It happens in November and is designed to coincide with in-firm week - the week that the Toronto firms do the second round of interview students for 2L summer positions. This mostly matters for 2Ls, but I think it's important context. The winter term reading week happens in February, halfway through the term like other universities.

1L: Because reading week falls close the the beginning of exam season, and 1Ls are generally freaked about exams, almost all of my class said they would spend the week prepping outlines. Very few people accomplish everything they set to do. As well, at Queens, the ILS course hands out the memo assignment the Friday before reading week, and you have 2 weeks to complete it. I think the idea is to give you time to do it. I'll tell you something: Everyone in my section talked abut how they were going to do it over break. Not one of us did. And they might be changing the assignment timeline this year. So, basically, some may tell you to spend the week prepping. I personally believe in mental rest. Take the vacation, or at least spend a few days of the week away from the books. I've found it affective to institute 3 days of freedom before spending time catching up on readings and 

2L: As mentioned, fall reading week is designed to coincide with 2L recruit in-firms. If you're a 2L, this means this week should be kept open for interviews. If you're not interviewing, do what you please. Same with winter break; seems like it's a week for you to use how you please. I don't know how clinics work, but you may need to stick back to work files during that time, but don't quote me on that.

3L: The 3L year is legendary. People often have their articles already lined up, and are remarkably chill about class. Now, your activities, moots, journal obligations, clinics, etc. will affect this, but many 3Ls take the week off. Heck, a handful of 3Ls take random, mid-term vacations because their courses are a bit lighter. I call it the 3L lifestyle, and I'm already dreaming about it.

• Like 3

On 2018-05-11 at 6:06 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

There is very much a difference depending on your year, so I'll break it down by year. Disclaimer: I just finished 1L, so my knowledge of upper year is second-hand.

TLDR: As long as you're not a 2L planning to do do in-firm interviews in Toronto, go on vacation.

There's a Fall reading week AND a winter reading week, with different implications for each. The Fall reading week for law is different than in undergrad. It happens in November and is designed to coincide with in-firm week - the week that the Toronto firms do the second round of interview students for 2L summer positions. This mostly matters for 2Ls, but I think it's important context. The winter term reading week happens in February, halfway through the term like other universities.

1L: Because reading week falls close the the beginning of exam season, and 1Ls are generally freaked about exams, almost all of my class said they would spend the week prepping outlines. Very few people accomplish everything they set to do. As well, at Queens, the ILS course hands out the memo assignment the Friday before reading week, and you have 2 weeks to complete it. I think the idea is to give you time to do it. I'll tell you something: Everyone in my section talked abut how they were going to do it over break. Not one of us did. And they might be changing the assignment timeline this year. So, basically, some may tell you to spend the week prepping. I personally believe in mental rest. Take the vacation, or at least spend a few days of the week away from the books. I've found it affective to institute 3 days of freedom before spending time catching up on readings and 

2L: As mentioned, fall reading week is designed to coincide with 2L recruit in-firms. If you're a 2L, this means this week should be kept open for interviews. If you're not interviewing, do what you please. Same with winter break; seems like it's a week for you to use how you please. I don't know how clinics work, but you may need to stick back to work files during that time, but don't quote me on that.

3L: The 3L year is legendary. People often have their articles already lined up, and are remarkably chill about class. Now, your activities, moots, journal obligations, clinics, etc. will affect this, but many 3Ls take the week off. Heck, a handful of 3Ls take random, mid-term vacations because their courses are a bit lighter. I call it the 3L lifestyle, and I'm already dreaming about it.

Thank you for your thorough response!

On 5/11/2018 at 2:05 PM, GoLeafsGo said:

Would just add a couple of things to the great information above. If you are applying for 1L summer jobs, the interviews could be during the February reading week and may not be flexible. Alternatively, if you are doing the job shadow program through the CDO, it may be easier to schedule your shadow day during reading week. I wouldn't forgo a vacation for this, but if you are just sitting around the house, it can be a valuable use of a day. 

Re: clinics. Generally, you can still do as you please during reading week. You can usually let your clients know that you will be unavailable or less available during that week. Sometimes people have to stay back for hearings or choose to stay around because without classes it is much easier to schedule client meetings but that is the exception, not the rule.

Edited by PurpleGael
  • Thanks 1

Are housing opportunities in Kingston really that bad? Would it be possible to find anything close to campus at the beginning of July?

Edited by Trew

15 hours ago, Trew said:

Are housing opportunities in Kingston really that bad? Would it be possible to find anything close to campus at the beginning of July?

I don't think opportunities are bad. I went looking end of June, and had a variety of places to look at. But as with many things, looking late means you have fewer options, the closest places tend to be gone, and you may be looking at more expensive options. I would say Kingston generally has some pretty dismal student housing options, especially in the student ghetto (sorry, ahem, 'Student District' [that's what we're supposed to call it now]), so I would recommend taking a 15-20 minute walk to campus over living in a poorly insulated apartment with a squirrel problem. See my below post regarding paying attention to things like utilities.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

I would say Kingston generally has some pretty dismal student housing options, especially in the student ghetto (sorry, ahem, 'Student District' [that's what we're supposed to call it now]),

You get what you pay for. Many of these options are in the $700-$800 range. If you want to keep your costs down through law school that's attractive pricing.

1 hour ago, GoLeafsGo said:

Do you recommend attending orientation?

100% yes. Do not miss. So fun, you get to know your classmates, it's awesome. (Grain of salt though because this year admin is taking it on so no idea if they'll be able to preserve the craziness of orientation) 

15 hours ago, GoLeafsGo said:

Do you recommend attending orientation?

Yes. O-week is a lot of fun, takes you to some great spots in Kingston, and is a great first intro to your classmates. Because 1L is spent with your section, I liked o-week because it also gave me access to a group outside of just my 25 daily classmates. It also lets you build relationships with some upper years, which is great for advice down the line. They used to do an 'upper year buddy program', which they've scrapped this year, so your o-week leaders can maybe take the place of these leaders.

56 minutes ago, RNGesus said:

What exactly is the Visitors and Info Session slots on the Mon/Fri afternoons?

These are placeholders left open during everyone's timeline. There won't always be something in that slot, but if the Career Services Office (CSO) is running a session, or the Dean's office is talking about courses/ exam study techniques, then they'll schedule them during these slots because they know everyone is free. These are all voluntary attendance events, and won't occur all the time.

• Thanks 1