Jump to content
twinsfindme

Ask a 1L!

Recommended Posts

I was hoping to get some clarification about the December exams. From my understanding, most classes offer an optional exam in December to help take some of the pressure off of having a 100% final exam in April.

My main question is how much is this December exam worth if you choose to write it? Also, if you score badly can you choose to effectively cancel the score and then have the April exam be worth 100%?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hemingway17 said:

I was hoping to get some clarification about the December exams. From my understanding, most classes offer an optional exam in December to help take some of the pressure off of having a 100% final exam in April.

My main question is how much is this December exam worth if you choose to write it? Also, if you score badly can you choose to effectively cancel the score and then have the April exam be worth 100%?

Thanks!

Hi Hemingway, 

I am a 2L at Queen's and hope I can be of some assistance. All black letter law classes (contracts, property, torts and criminal) are full year courses ( aside from Constitutional Law and Public Law are one semester courses with the December/April exam being the final exam). These full year courses have December exams that are usually "fail safe". The exams are NOT optional. 

So the December exams are usually worth between 10%-30% of your final grade, it is dependent on the prof how much weight they give the mid-term exam (I think, there is also probably some kind of protocol) However, if you do better on the Final Exam in April, your December exam will not count towards your final grade. This kinda takes the pressure off when the finals roll around in April. 

You do not get to "choose" to cancel your score and the exams are not optional. 

If you want more clarification or have any other questions please do not hesitate to DM me. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CornOnTheCob said:

Hi Hemingway, 

I am a 2L at Queen's and hope I can be of some assistance. All black letter law classes (contracts, property, torts and criminal) are full year courses ( aside from Constitutional Law and Public Law are one semester courses with the December/April exam being the final exam). These full year courses have December exams that are usually "fail safe". The exams are NOT optional. 

So the December exams are usually worth between 10%-30% of your final grade, it is dependent on the prof how much weight they give the mid-term exam (I think, there is also probably some kind of protocol) However, if you do better on the Final Exam in April, your December exam will not count towards your final grade. This kinda takes the pressure off when the finals roll around in April. 

You do not get to "choose" to cancel your score and the exams are not optional. 

If you want more clarification or have any other questions please do not hesitate to DM me. 

Ah ok, I understand now! Thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year, I believe there’s only been one prof giving out failsafe midterms, and that’s for Public. These aren’t true “failsafes” for the most part, but they’ll move around the weight. So it’ll be worth e.g. 10-25%, whichever benefits you. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RNGesus said:

This year, I believe there’s only been one prof giving out failsafe midterms, and that’s for Public. These aren’t true “failsafes” for the most part, but they’ll move around the weight. So it’ll be worth e.g. 10-25%, whichever benefits you. 

Ok I'm confused again haha. Was this for 1L? Cornonthecob said every full year class had them.

The reason I'm asking about this so much is because I'm currently deciding between queen's and western. I've been told from a current student that I know personally at western that they have them for basically every class. So this could be a deciding factor if it has become rare at queen's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hemingway17 said:

Ok I'm confused again haha. Was this for 1L? Cornonthecob said every full year class had them.

The reason I'm asking about this so much is because I'm currently deciding between queen's and western. I've been told from a current student that I know personally at western that they have them for basically every class. So this could be a deciding factor if it has become rare at queen's.

Cornonthecob was specifically taking about full year courses. Public/ Constitutional are half year classes, not full year. You take Public in the fall. This past year, at least one of the Public profs offered a truly failsafe midterm - i.e. it only counted if it helped your final grade. The only other assessment for that class was the final exam. The broad idea is this not only gave people failsafe practice for their Public final, it also introduced them to law exams generally. Skills like working with fact patterns, organization and timing, and just getting used to the environment of these exams, are transferable from Public to all other law exams.

In case this matters, Public is always the first exam in December, so you get the final out of the way and then take the midterms for all the full year courses. Broadly speaking, a poor midterm grade worth 10% won’t budge your mark much. If you got a B on your December midterm for criminal, and your April final is an A, no preofessor would seriously give you a grade less than A-. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hemingway17 said:

Ok I'm confused again haha. Was this for 1L? Cornonthecob said every full year class had them.

The reason I'm asking about this so much is because I'm currently deciding between queen's and western. I've been told from a current student that I know personally at western that they have them for basically every class. So this could be a deciding factor if it has become rare at queen's.

Hey, I normally don't post here but as a 1L I think I got some knowledge for you. Apparently the school policy or something changed this year, and although the december exams are worth anywhere from 10-30%, they are not fail safe at the end. So no matter what you get on them, they do count, or so I've been told by my peers. So even if I do way better on the finals, the december exams still count. I hope that they don't, but as far as I know, they do.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RezCyborg said:

Hey, I normally don't post here but as a 1L I think I got some knowledge for you. Apparently the school policy or something changed this year, and although the december exams are worth anywhere from 10-30%, they are not fail safe at the end. So no matter what you get on them, they do count, or so I've been told by my peers. So even if I do way better on the finals, the december exams still count. I hope that they don't, but as far as I know, they do.

I heard rumours about this change in policy. 

So December exams are worth between 10-30% - usually.  Which should take a little pressure off. 

Sorry for my misinformation! I hope the fact that there are mid-terms exams and that they carry (very little) doesnt deter you from Queen's. In the grand scheme they are worth very little and likely have little impact on your final grade (and even smaller impact on your whole life...that is sometimes the hardest thing to keep in mind- it was for me). 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RezCyborg said:

Hey, I normally don't post here but as a 1L I think I got some knowledge for you. Apparently the school policy or something changed this year, and although the december exams are worth anywhere from 10-30%, they are not fail safe at the end. So no matter what you get on them, they do count, or so I've been told by my peers. So even if I do way better on the finals, the december exams still count. I hope that they don't, but as far as I know, they do.

Ok thank you for the updated info! Definitely clears things up

4 hours ago, CornOnTheCob said:

I heard rumours about this change in policy. 

So December exams are worth between 10-30% - usually.  Which should take a little pressure off. 

Sorry for my misinformation! I hope the fact that there are mid-terms exams and that they carry (very little) doesnt deter you from Queen's. In the grand scheme they are worth very little and likely have little impact on your final grade (and even smaller impact on your whole life...that is sometimes the hardest thing to keep in mind- it was for me). 

 

 

No worries! Thanks for your responses and I won’t let it deter me. Even though they aren’t fail safe I still feel better knowing I won’t have to face too many 100% finals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been searching for the answer to this question and can't seem to find it anywhere! 

Does Queen's release their class rankings? As in, make available to all in the class where you sit in terms of the grading curve?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdjdjd said:

I've been searching for the answer to this question and can't seem to find it anywhere! 

Does Queen's release their class rankings? As in, make available to all in the class where you sit in terms of the grading curve?

 

Not as far as I know. Just the course prize winners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jdjdjd said:

I've been searching for the answer to this question and can't seem to find it anywhere! 

Does Queen's release their class rankings? As in, make available to all in the class where you sit in terms of the grading curve?

 

They release the course prize winners, and the medalists. The medalists are the people who had the highest, second highest, and third highest GPAs in any given year. 

They will also inform people who make Deans List. Deans List is the top 10% of the class. So if you don’t medal but are in the top 10% you’ll know, although no one else will unless you tell them, or add it to LinkedIn. But no one outside of the top 3 know their numbered rank, and no one in the bottom 90% of the class knows where they stand either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×