Jump to content
benschnell

Ask a 1L student

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, lewcifer said:

Cherryhill Village has quite a few law students living there, there's a mall with a Shoppers and a Metro right there so it's really convenient if you won't have a car. There's also a bus route with several stops in the neighbourhood that will take you straight to the law school, the ride is about 10-15 minutes.

Some law students live with roommates, others live alone. Lots of law students who want roommates find them in the Facebook group, so I'd recommend posting in there and seeing if anyone is interested. Upper years who need someone to pick up their lease sometimes post in there as well, and there's an apartment spreadsheet that an upper year made a while back that generally gets passed around to incoming students, so that should be in the Facebook group (though prices on it are probably outdated, but it's a good place to start). You can also check the Western off-campus listings (https://offcampus.uwo.ca/listings/) but you're more likely to end up with undergrads as roommates there, although when I was looking I remember seeing a few listings specifying that they were looking for graduate/professional students so you might be able to avoid that.

Wow, what a champ. Thanks so much ❤️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can any upper years comment on the Marq (75 Ann St)? is it a good building to live in? do other law students live there? about to pull the trigger on a lease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

can any upper years comment on the Marq (75 Ann St)? is it a good building to live in? do other law students live there? about to pull the trigger on a lease. 

Hey! I was there for my last semester (this past winter term). It's not bad. They have a shuttle service that takes you to alumni hall (across from the law building) and it runs frequently in the morning. It also runs until 5pm (I think) - so I often take that to get home. If you don't manage to catch the shuttle, you are about a 10 min walk to the nearest bus stop (which isnt too bad). The closest grocery store is a 10 min walk away and you are close to lots of the bars law students hang out at. The building has a pretty good gym, a study space and lounge area. Overall, it was okay! I did find the walls a bit thin so you can hear your neighbours (esp when they party) and yes tons of law students live in the building. If you have any other specific questions you can always msg me. Good luck with 1L! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will 1Ls have the opportunity to join clinics this year? from previous posts, it seems that there is about forty spots for 1Ls in clinics and everyone applies. could COVID reduce spots and make it harder to join a clinic? (mainly interested in the business law clinic). 

Edited by jatthopefullawyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to UofT for undergrad and found the undergrad campus culture at Western to be super different from that at UofT. What’s the campus/faculty culture within the law program like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talcove said:

I went to UofT for undergrad and found the undergrad campus culture at Western to be super different from that at UofT. What’s the campus/faculty culture within the law program like?

Very collegial! Also very big on partying but that’s also very upper year/SLS driven with the Dennings (and even O-Week) so without most upper years on campus (and who knows what the bar scene will look like this year) that may very well change.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ricketycricket said:

Can anyone speak to roughly how much textbooks typically cost per year? Just trying to somewhat budget for the upcoming year :)

If you buy new (I did, a lot of people find that to be an unnecessary expense but I didn't want an older edition or a copy with highlighting/notes already in it), probably $170-200 per book (and likely one book per class).

Edited by TobyFlenderson
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TobyFlenderson said:

If you buy new (I did, a lot of people find that to be an unnecessary expense but I didn't want an older edition or a copy with highlighting/notes already in it), probably $170-200 per book (and likely one book per class).

Does legal research/writing have a textbook? If you include corporate in winter, that means 6 books. Would first year books cost approximately $1200 then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

Does legal research/writing have a textbook? If you include corporate in winter, that means 6 books. Would first year books cost approximately $1200 then? 

You'll need the McGill Guide which I think was $30? Maybe $50. If your corporate books are the OBCA and CBCA, you can probably wait until right before the exam, since they're just paper copies of the legislation so during class, you can just use the digital version for free. I think the books were $90 each, but I didn't buy them because the shift to online meant I could just use the digital ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TobyFlenderson said:

You'll need the McGill Guide which I think was $30? Maybe $50. If your corporate books are the OBCA and CBCA, you can probably wait until right before the exam, since they're just paper copies of the legislation so during class, you can just use the digital version for free. I think the books were $90 each, but I didn't buy them because the shift to online meant I could just use the digital ones.

I also know people who just printed the OBCA and the CBCA themselves from the digital version and used that for the in-person exam, so there was no need to buy the books if you didn't want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If money’s tight, I wouldn’t bother buying the corporate statutes. Either print them or add the relevant sections to your summary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 9:40 PM, Rearden said:

If money’s tight, I wouldn’t bother buying the corporate statutes. Either print them or add the relevant sections to your summary.

I bought the OBCA and CBCA books (used obviously) and I don't think I even opened them once.

Also assuming Nichols will still be teaching the course this year, he provides 1L students with a digital textbook he wrote for the course on OWL for free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 2:06 PM, ricketycricket said:

Can anyone speak to roughly how much textbooks typically cost per year? Just trying to somewhat budget for the upcoming year :)

I bought all of mine used from upper years except Torts, and I only ended up spending about $200 total for all of those used books. I just made sure to find people who had no highlighting (or very very minimal) because I knew I wanted to make my own highlights. If the highlighting is your biggest concerns, a lot of upper years don't do it and you can definitely find a good deal. 

Also for ethics, they give you the textbook. The textbooks are sponsored by a law firm, so there's no cost on you for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I was wondering if the Western law library has any practice tests that they give access to students? And if not, where a person can get them from..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Samkab said:

Hi! I was wondering if the Western law library has any practice tests that they give access to students? And if not, where a person can get them from..

it should be on OWL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Samkab said:

Hi! I was wondering if the Western law library has any practice tests that they give access to students? And if not, where a person can get them from..

Go on the Western Law - Curriculum and Course Information site on OWL. Under the Exam Questions Archive tab you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone share their opinions on whether taking ethics in winter term is frowned upon by firms in 2L OCIs? Although I am really interested in taking corporate, I have heard that it is more difficult and ethics just seems more straightforward.  

Edited by JusticeLordDenning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

Can anyone share their opinions on whether taking ethics in winter term is frowned upon by firms in 2L OCIs? Although I am really interested in taking corporate, I have heard that it is more difficult and ethics just seems more straightforward.  

The advantages to taking Corporate in 1L are (in my opinion):

  • Showing firms that you're interested in corporate law (if you're applying to corporate firms & want to practice corporate law)
  • Having corporate law on your transcript earlier than students at other law schools do
  • Can take courses that have Corporate as a prereq in first term 2L
  • Slightly lighter courseload for first term 2L
  • Nicholls is a good professor & he doesn't usually teach first term (so you probably wouldn't have him for Corporate in 2L)
  • If you end up not liking Corporate, you figure that out early and don't have to ever take another corporate course again

There are fewer disadvantages, in my opinion. It's true that most Western students will take Corporate in 1L, and most (if not all) of the people with business backgrounds take it in 1L. That does make the class more competitive.

I took Corporate in 1L. I'm in 2L now, and our OCIs have been pushed back to January because of COVID, so it's hard for me to say whether my classmates who took Ethics last year will be looked at any differently because of it (and it might be moot for us anyway, since by the time OCIs will take place everyone in our year will have finished both Corporate and Ethics). I honestly doubt firms would be that concerned about it, unless you were talking about your great desire to practice corporate law and didn't have any sort of business background to indicate your interest in the area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

Can anyone share their opinions on whether taking ethics in winter term is frowned upon by firms in 2L OCIs? Although I am really interested in taking corporate, I have heard that it is more difficult and ethics just seems more straightforward.  

Former 1L/2L/3L here. Ignore the noise.

It doesn't matter which course you take for OCIs. Take the course that gives you higher grades. Grades are literally the only thing that matters for the recruit. If knowing corporate mattered for 2L jobs, all students who took corporate would get bay street jobs compared to the 4 other law schools that do not offer corporate in 1L. However, that is not the case. The placement rate for all Ontario schools minus Windsor and Ottawa is around the same. That's all you need to know. 

Ethics is a relatively easier course than Corporate. Graham is a wonderful prof. There are many students who took Ethics in 1L who are now corporate lawyers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...