benschnell

Ask a 1L student

I've been panicking for the past hour or so because of how significant moot/advocacy skills are in building up my extracurriculars, and, ultimately, securing a summer law student position at law firms. I do not have any mooting experience whatsoever nor have I attended any oral advocacy sessions during undergraduate studies. The significance of mooting is really scaring me at the moment, and I would love to hear feedbacks from current students on how the training on oral advocacy skills is done at Western as well as its effectiveness. 

Also, I'd love to hear about the faculty's support in careers during law school (summer employment, to be specific) and after law school. I've yet to decide on the specific area of law I would like to study/practice. With that being said, however, I presume that I would be choosing one from the following: international law, criminal law, and litigation. Thank you in advance!

Edited by futureattorney

I've been panicking for the past hour or so because of how significant moot/advocacy skills are in building up my extracurriculars, and, ultimately, securing a summer law student position at law firms. I do not have any mooting experience whatsoever nor have I attended any oral advocacy sessions during undergraduate studies. The significance of mooting is really scaring me at the moment, and I would love to hear feedbacks from current students on how the training on oral advocacy skills is done at Western as well as its effectiveness. 

Also, I'd love to hear about the faculty's support in careers during law school (summer employment, to be specific) and after law school. I've yet to decide on the specific area of law I would like to study/practice. With that being said, however, I presume that I would be choosing one from the following: international law, criminal law, and litigation. Thank you in advance!

You don't need mooting/advocacy skills to land summer employment so it doesn't necessarily have to carry any significance. You will have to moot for part of your Legal Research, Writing, and Advocacy course in 1L but otherwise you can mostly avoid it if you wanted. Also, the vast majority of law students have no idea how mooting works before the first day of classes. 

However, the areas of interest you listed would all likely carry a significant oral advocacy component. You'll get some insight from the LRWA course and through whatever guidance is offered with the moot competitions run at Western. There are a whole lot of them you can try to do throughout the year to practice your skills. I don't have much experience with lit-related courses but I imagine several of them can help with oral advocacy stuff in upper years.

You don't need mooting/advocacy skills to land summer employment so it doesn't necessarily have to carry any significance. You will have to moot for part of your Legal Research, Writing, and Advocacy course in 1L but otherwise you can mostly avoid it if you wanted. Also, the vast majority of law students have no idea how mooting works before the first day of classes. 

However, the areas of interest you listed would all likely carry a significant oral advocacy component. You'll get some insight from the LRWA course and through whatever guidance is offered with the moot competitions run at Western. There are a whole lot of them you can try to do throughout the year to practice your skills. I don't have much experience with lit-related courses but I imagine several of them can help with oral advocacy stuff in upper years.

Thanks for the clarification, and that does give me a relief from a panic attack. I'm glad Western seems to offer plenty of opportunities with regards to mooting, so I'll definitely try to take advantage of those.

The reason why I thought mooting/advocacy skills would land summer employment was that those would be extra credentials to my resumé, along with stellar grades, of course. Is it, then, safe for me to assume that it's better to focus on getting the necessary grades than to worry about other credentials? What do current law firms tend to look for in placing students for summer employment?

Thanks for the clarification, and that does give me a relief from a panic attack. I'm glad Western seems to offer plenty of opportunities with regards to mooting, so I'll definitely try to take advantage of those.

The reason why I thought mooting/advocacy skills would land summer employment was that those would be extra credentials to my resumé, along with stellar grades, of course. Is it, then, safe for me to assume that it's better to focus on getting the necessary grades than to worry about other credentials? What do current law firms tend to look for in placing students for summer employment?

1. Pro tip: never do any extra curriculars in law school for resume padding. Do the things you want to do. Don't do the things you don't want to do. Your ECs should reflect your actual interests, not what you believe firms will prefer as your interests.

2. Asking what all law firms look for in placing summer students is too broad of a question to answer effectively. Law firms are going to be interested in grades, work experience, education, soft factors, and personality, with no clear ordering or ranking between those variables. Some people will get hired with stellar grades, bland work experience, and zero ECs. Some will get hired with OK grades, great softs, and fantastic interviewing skills. There's no single answer or pattern. Just worry about getting the best grades you can in the circumstances and pursuing other interests as you see fit. 

3. Relax/breathe. You are super far away from having to worry about hiring. If you get wound up before you even start school it's gonna be a pretty shitty time. 

• Like 1

Are there any good hi-rises downtown to look out for? I'm looking for a nice 1 bed downtown. The kijiji for London is pretty overrun by condo management companies relisting their openings at regularly timed intervals, so its a bit annoying to parse over the various apartments and locations. 

Any help would be appreciated :)

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 11:54 PM, SergeiBerezin said:

Are there any good hi-rises downtown to look out for? I'm looking for a nice 1 bed downtown. The kijiji for London is pretty overrun by condo management companies relisting their openings at regularly timed intervals, so its a bit annoying to parse over the various apartments and locations. 

Any help would be appreciated :)

520 Talbot, 544 Talbot, 675 Richmond, 695 Richmond, 205 Oxford, 180 Mill St.

Hi everyone,

I'm highly interested in pursuing a career in criminal law. I know western has a reputation of being very business oriented so I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how the criminal law courses are. I viewed some of the course offerings online and a lot of them seem very interesting, but it also states not all of them are offered each year. And remembering from doing my undergrad at uwo, most of the interesting courses they listed often weren't active. Any insight would be great as I'm highly debating between western and queens right now!

Thanks in advance :)

On 4/26/2017 at 10:56 PM, ltp262 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm highly interested in pursuing a career in criminal law. I know western has a reputation of being very business oriented so I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how the criminal law courses are. I viewed some of the course offerings online and a lot of them seem very interesting, but it also states not all of them are offered each year. And remembering from doing my undergrad at uwo, most of the interesting courses they listed often weren't active. Any insight would be great as I'm highly debating between western and queens right now!

Thanks in advance

FWIW, Criminal Law Advocacy (CLA) is offered every year and as part of the course you take on crim files through the school's clinic. Western also has a bid point system so regardless of how clinic applications pan out, you can always allocate bid points to ensure you get crim file experience. I didn't take anything to do with crim after 1L though so hopefully others can chime in on course options.

• Like 1

On 2017-04-26 at 10:56 PM, ltp262 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

It has that reputation but there is a strong contingency building for criminal law. Every school offers criminal law classes and has a legal aid clinic, so you will never be limited from going into that field by your school selection. Western's criminal law interest is growing and I'd encourage you to come, but your decision will ultimately be about a number of factors.

Feel free to check out this group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/725513827586829/

On 2017-03-07 at 0:08 PM, donoghuevstevenson said:

Most important question: I heard from an alumnus Western has a drunk moot. Does this still happen?

Maybe just the moot at Law Games.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I'm moving to 205 oxford. I was wondering if anyone living there uses the WiFi they provide (on the website it says WiFi provided). I heard its slow so I should get my own? Also is there a forum or fb page I can join to buy furniture from other students. I am not moving there until the end of the summer but I dont see a lot of postings of furniture on craigslist at the moment.

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, thatsaboutit said:

Hi everyone! I'm moving to 205 oxford. I was wondering if anyone living there uses the WiFi they provide (on the website it says WiFi provided). I heard its slow so I should get my own? Also is there a forum or fb page I can join to buy furniture from other students. I am not moving there until the end of the summer but I dont see a lot of postings of furniture on craigslist at the moment.

Thanks!

Everyone always bought EVERYTHING off of Facebook groups in London.  Try Buy/Sell London and other ones with similar names. Also, UWO textbook exchange is a good resource for school related! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lolaya said:

Everyone always bought EVERYTHING off of Facebook groups in London.  Try Buy/Sell London and other ones with similar names. Also, UWO textbook exchange is a good resource for school related! 

Join "UWO Law Text Book Sale Hub" (on FB) for books.

For furniture, try "I Want This Gone!" or "Free & For Sale" (both on FB). If you need links to any of these, let me know.

Edited by Cabaret
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, thatsaboutit said:

Thanks!

Hey future neighbour! I'm moving in there too this September. I talked to an upper year who's living there now and they said the wifi is fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThereIsNoCowLevel said:

Hey future neighbour! I'm moving in there too this September. I talked to an upper year who's living there now and they said the wifi is fine.

Nice looking place. Anyone know if it's noisy?

2 hours ago, CanadaCup said:

Nice looking place. Anyone know if it's noisy?

I heard it's better than the buildings further down on Richmond since those are closer to the bars and train tracks but I imagine the noise coming from inside the building is the same.

Hi everyone, how prevalent is the drinking culture at Western? I know there are Dennings that take place bi-weekly, would people care if you don't drink at these events?

8 hours ago, awesd said:

Hi everyone, how prevalent is the drinking culture at Western? I know there are Dennings that take place bi-weekly, would people care if you don't drink at these events?

No one cares.

• Like 2

On 2017-03-08 at 1:24 PM, legallyblonde9 said:

Living arrangements are great - there are a TON of affordable student apartments in London (although I would recommend living DT so you're close to the bars but still a good distance from campus)

You do get a free bus pass w/ your tuition and the system is decent - not as efficient as TTC w/ the subway but it's still gets you from a-b. I drive to school every day but that also has its downside too because parking at the school is a nightmare and half. There are hacks to ensure you always get a spot, though (showing up at certain times/ beating the system w/ certain lots)

London's a great city - it's no Toronto but it has about everything you could need. Nightlife is pretty nice, and there are a ton of great cafes to study at as well as things to do on free time. 

In terms of the school itself the atmosphere is great. I've found the profs to be BEYOND helpful in every regard and the staff are lovely. I've met with profs who I've never even had before to ask them for advice on moots / career etc and they're always more than happy to do what they can to support the students. There is a real sense of camaraderie at the school, especially in light of the 22 person small group first year. Tons of clubs to join and the upper years are all extremely welcoming and supportive. There are bi-weekly pub nights that get the entire school out together, and there are always fun events being hosted at the school (w/ more free pizza than you could every imagine). 

I chose Western over Queens myself for a number of other reasons, but it all comes down to what the right fit for you is! Helps to visit the schools as well before making a decision. Good luck!

Could you elaborate on said parking hacks? Planning on driving every day myself! :)

On 2017-05-23 at 9:45 PM, awesd said:

I mean, there are a lot of people who like to drink. But you don't have to go to the Dennings, and there are many who don't. If that's not your scene (it's not mine!), there are lots of other fun things to do. You could also go and not drink - most of the others will be too drunk to notice/care.

On 2017-05-24 at 6:10 PM, squidddx8 said:

Could you elaborate on said parking hacks? Planning on driving every day myself!

Huron College lot. Really close to the law building, and has never been full in the two years I've been at Western.

• Like 1