benschnell

Ask a 1L student

Green Non-Reserved - New Permits (Valid in green zones) $38.35 $460.20 Grey Non-Reserved - Renewal Permits only if you currently have a Grey Permit (Valid in grey and green zones) $41.00 $492.00

Looking into parking passes. Do not really know campus. Any benefit to grey zone parking as a law student?

Unless you have some type of connection (i.e. a grad student who will sell you their permit), law students can only buy green permits. 

It will depend on your small group prof's attitude towards Law Games.  My small group was strongly discouraged from participating -- i.e., we were told that no allowances would be made.

That said, I know of a few 1Ls who participated (though no one in my small group); perhaps someone will be able to chime in on the feasability of participating.

I went to Law Games as a 1L - I had no issues. I lost about 3-4 days on my memo, but that actually motivated me to work harder and I still got a draft done the weekend after. Its totally doable. 

• Like 1

How does a 1L's fall examination period typically look? I understand that several courses have 100% exams, which I presume occur in the April exam period?

How does a 1L's fall examination period typically look? I understand that several courses have 100% exams, which I presume occur in the April exam period?

Typically, most fall midterms are worth 30% (depending on which professor you have, some might be worth less).

The only 100% exam that I had in April was Corporate Law; I don't know whether the Ethics exam was worth 100%.

Typically, most fall midterms are worth 30% (depending on which professor you have, some might be worth less).

The only 100% exam that I had in April was Corporate Law; I don't know whether the Ethics exam was worth 100%.

Even then, in Corporate Law you had the option to do assignments through the semester to lessen the percentage of the final. Although I think most people opted for the 100% final anyways. 

The 1L Exam period was clearly structured so that 1Ls have time between each exam. You probably won't ever see two exams on the same day, or even on back-to-back days. 

So since we have this formal ceremony in the morning of the 6th that requires business attire... does that mean we're supposed to show up on the first day in suits and be wearing that all day? I always thought that was the quintessential "things not to do on the first day of law school" haha 

So since we have this formal ceremony in the morning of the 6th that requires business attire... does that mean we're supposed to show up on the first day in suits and be wearing that all day? I always thought that was the quintessential "things not to do on the first day of law school" haha 

I'm not sure how much help the upper years will be - this ceremony is a new thing for this year's class. But I guess so? The first day wasn't that long last year, and there was some kind of break before the evening events (so you could go change/get ready). 

• Like 1

The first day is going have one hell of a weird vibe if it's 1Ls in suits and JPs in their usual tank tops.

• Like 2

I assume the JP's won't be taking the Professionalism PledgeTM so I suppose there'd be no reason for them to suit up.

Edited by beyondsection17

For those who have questions about the ceremony - the information was specified in Assoc. Dean Chamberlain's invitation to the ceremony, but to answer, yes, you will be coming to school on the first day in your business attire. This is because there will be no opportunity to change between registration and the ceremony. The first day is pretty compact. Of course, you can change into something more comfortable after the ceremony (there will be tours, or (I think) some down time before the evening activities).

As for the JPs, we won't be attending the ceremony as we have other activities during that time, so there's no need for JPs to suit up.

So I've read on this forum that some people received bursaries around December. Is there a second round of bursaries that goes out around then? I thought it was just the one round that happened during the summer for the beginning of the academic year.

• Like 1

So I've read on this forum that some people received bursaries around December. Is there a second round of bursaries that goes out around then? I thought it was just the one round that happened during the summer for the beginning of the academic year.

I think my 1L bursary was in the summer before 1L started and my 2L bursary was in Dec/Jan of 2L. Others can chime in if they had a different experience.

• Like 1

Not strenuous, they really should not be a concern for you. They are pass/fail and if you fail you just redo the assignment. That being said, if you can get them done before O-week starts I would do it so that you can focus on enjoying the week!

• Like 1

Not strenuous, they really should not be a concern for you. They are pass/fail and if you fail you just redo the assignment. That being said, if you can get them done before O-week starts I would do it so that you can focus on enjoying the week!

do you know when we find out if we passed or failed the quizzes? i just submitted mine but didn't get any results. Thanks!

do you know when we find out if we passed or failed the quizzes? i just submitted mine but didn't get any results. Thanks!

Inside the course on OWL, on the right hand side, click on gradebook

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm moving into 205 Oxford and will have my car with me the entire time I'm in London. Since our building's parking garage is under construction, I was told that there is a free lot near by where I can park my car at. I searched around on google map and the only lot that seems to fit the description is the 75 Ann Street building.  Can anyone give me a bit more information regarding residential parking? Anything is appreciated.   

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm moving into 205 Oxford and will have my car with me the entire time I'm in London. Since our building's parking garage is under construction, I was told that there is a free lot near by where I can park my car at. I searched around on google map and the only lot that seems to fit the description is the 75 Ann Street building.  Can anyone give me a bit more information regarding residential parking? Anything is appreciated.   

Hey! Hope this isn't too late. I'm at 205 as well. However, for the time before that, I was parking at 75 Ann.

Basically, go over to 75 Ann. Right when you walk in, you'll see the main office. Just tell them that you're at 205 and need a parking spot. They'll give you a parking decal and a remote, which will give you access to the underground garage. It's kind of annoying, but the walk from 75 to 205 isn't too bad.

Private message me if you have any other questions!