benschnell

Ask a 1L student

I have a Mac and haven't had any issues.

I would only add that you do not have to purchase Microsoft Office: you are provided with an Office 365 account (it's how you access your @uwo.ca email), so you'll be able to download and install Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. for free (though I imagine the cost is somehow built into our tuition).

To be sure, follow these steps to install Office programs on your computer:

1. Login to your Office 365 account via https://myofficeinfo.uwo.ca/
  2. You should see a screen where you can select an "Online App" (Mail, Word, etc.)
  3. Click on the "Install Office 2016" button (located in the top-right corner of the screen) and follow the prompts
Edited by Rearden
  • Like 4

I have a Mac and haven't had any issues.

I would only add that you do not have to purchase Microsoft Office: you are provided with an Office 365 account (it's how you access your @uwo.ca email), so you'll be able to download and install Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. for free (though I imagine the cost is somehow built into our tuition).

To be sure, follow these steps to install Office programs on your computer:

1. Login to your Office 365 account via https://myofficeinfo.uwo.ca/
  2. You should see a screen where you can select an "Online App" (Mail, Word, etc.)
  3. Click on the "Install Office 2016" button (located in the top-right corner of the screen) and follow the prompts

Amazing, thank you. Almost bought it yesterday.

After some keyword searches like "summaries" and "suit," I still have a question about each, and I'm sorry if I simply missed the answers.

1) How often are suits required in first year? Does the answer change significantly if you are involved in certain EC's like CLS or moots (are moots EC?)? 

2) I've read (on this site) about printing electronic summaries, but I've heard from current students that some summaries are hard copies. Is there ever a shortage of summaries for 1L's?

3) Seriously... textbooks. I am seeing a lot of "you don't really need the textbooks; just read the summaries." Actually, though? Is that safe?

4) I don't have a question 4

After some keyword searches like "summaries" and "suit," I still have a question about each, and I'm sorry if I simply missed the answers.

1) How often are suits required in first year? Does the answer change significantly if you are involved in certain EC's like CLS or moots (are moots EC?)? 

2) I've read (on this site) about printing electronic summaries, but I've heard from current students that some summaries are hard copies. Is there ever a shortage of summaries for 1L's?

3) Seriously... textbooks. I am seeing a lot of "you don't really need the textbooks; just read the summaries." Actually, though? Is that safe?

1. Often enough that you need one. Not often enough that you need two.

2. I'm not aware of any summaries that exist only in hard copy form. I don't know what you mean by a shortage of summaries.

3. I'm a believer that some people can get through 1L just fine without reading a textbook. You should still definitely have the textbooks though. Buy used whenever possible as a way to save money.

• Like 1

1) At least 1, maybe 2

2) No shortage - you will be given access to an online database with them when you arrive

3) Depends on your style of learning, your professor and the subject matter - feel free to PM me for more details

4) Glad to hear!

Best of luck next year :) 

Does anyone have up to date info about where to pick up our Western ONE cards? I'm not sure if I missed it anywhere. I will only be moving to London on the 4th and can't find faculty hours anywhere. 

This is what I found: http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/general-information/features/where_to_pick_up_your_westernonecard/index.html

Law Students

If you uploaded or had your photo taken prior to August 28, 2014* you can pick up your Western ONECard from the Faculty of Law on Tuesday, September 2, 2014.

Does anyone have up to date info about where to pick up our Western ONE cards? I'm not sure if I missed it anywhere. I will only be moving to London on the 4th and can't find faculty hours anywhere. 

This is what I found: http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/general-information/features/where_to_pick_up_your_westernonecard/index.html

Law Students

If you uploaded or had your photo taken prior to August 28, 2014* you can pick up your Western ONECard from the Faculty of Law on Tuesday, September 2, 2014.

They'll be available for pick up starting September 1st in the law building! We should be getting more specific email about it sometime next week!

Law Students

what i understood from the email we got today is that we can also just get it on sept 6th at orientation if you've already uploaded your photo online.

The answers above are all true, but just for my $0.02. You need a suit. Your use of it will vary based on ECs. Moots require a suit, and they are extra-curricular. But you will no matter what need one for an early formal, and for your January Term. If you're in CLS you may need a suit. There may be other employment-based occasions as well (firm tours, interviews, etc.)

Summaries are abundant and are always electronic.

I would stick with the textbooks, but yes, its dependent on the person. Some are pretty necessary though as they drive class discussion, and there may be participation marks within those classes.

When are the formals typically held?

There's normally one during O-Week and then there is Law Ball which is usually in March.

• Like 1

How is Western's OCI for Ottawa firms?

Western's success in Ottawa isn't incredible, especially compared to schools like Queens, Dal, and (duh) Ottawa. Ottawa firms don't OCI at Western last time I recall. That being said, people still get articling jobs there. 

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere - but any recommended internet providers for apartments with good student rates in London?

I got Cable 15mps 400GB for 49$/mo with teksavvy! They had packages that were as low as 25/30$ if you wanted to go with dsl/slower speed/less data too! 

Cheapest rates I could find, though, unless your family is with Rogers and they can cut a deal with adding you to an existing plan or something!

• Like 3

Green Non-Reserved - New Permits (Valid in green zones) $38.35 $460.20 Grey Non-Reserved - Renewal Permits only if you currently have a Grey Permit (Valid in grey and green zones) $41.00 $492.00

Looking into parking passes. Do not really know campus. Any benefit to grey zone parking as a law student?

What are the first 2-3 days of the January intensive like? I'm not expecting to participate in law games, but I noticed that anyone participating would miss the beginning of this. Is that something that's factored in since it's a university thing? 

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere - but any recommended internet providers for apartments with good student rates in London?

I got Cable 15mps 400GB for 49$/mo with teksavvy! They had packages that were as low as 25/30$ if you wanted to go with dsl/slower speed/less data too! 

Cheapest rates I could find, though, unless your family is with Rogers and they can cut a deal with adding you to an existing plan or something!

Rogers has student promotions, if you're interested.

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/bundles/students

What are the first 2-3 days of the January intensive like? I'm not expecting to participate in law games, but I noticed that anyone participating would miss the beginning of this. Is that something that's factored in since it's a university thing? 

It will depend on your small group prof's attitude towards Law Games.  My small group was strongly discouraged from participating -- i.e., we were told that no allowances would be made.

That said, I know of a few 1Ls who participated (though no one in my small group); perhaps someone will be able to chime in on the feasability of participating.

• Like 1