benschnell

Ask a 1L student

7 hours ago, BBAtoJD said:

Western changed the way the professionalism ceremony is run last year (my year). You don't get invited onto the stage or introduced individually anymore!!

The ceremony last year consisted of a motivational speech (or two), and the Dean's welcome. There is also a pledge, during which students are asked to stand where they are sitting and repeat after the Dean.

If I remember correctly, the lunch was a really good stir fry (pretty sure I went up for seconds even though no one else did). There was also salad, bread, desserts, pop, water, tea, coffee.

Note: the lunch was included

If it's stir fry it's probably from the grad club.. they do catering there, thanks! Also thank God we don't have to introduce ourselves one by one. That'd be something...

On 2018-07-23 at 6:27 AM, Iwantajd said:

Can anyone speak to 565 talbot st? 

Also, for ladies, is a blazer and a pencil skirt passable for formal events or does it have to be a pants suit? 

i lived at 565 talbot in 1L. i liked it! not perfect but pretty good. i lived with a roommate and i thought the rent was pretty reasonable (i think we each paid 525 plus utilities or smth). the location is super good. really close walk to richmond row for going out like to bars and stuff, and also really close walk to the 106/6 bus stop that goes to school and also busses that go to masonville and stuff like that. also a pretty close walk to the greyhound station if you're going back to toronto or wherever. close-ish to the grocery store, there's a valumart that's like a 15ish minute walk, maybe even 20 mins, which is kinda far if you're carrying lots of groceries, but you can also take the bus for the 2 or 3 stops. the only con is that the building is not super nice, like it's definitely not a condo or anything near it lol, and the lobby sometimes smelled bad-ish (like really really strong cleaning products), and i definitely had some bug issues in my unit (like i frequently saw silverfish and centipedes) but it wasn't unbearable, like the bug issue was like a 3/10 issue for me. all in all i would give the building like a 7/10 haha.

4 hours ago, pinkroses said:

i lived at 565 talbot in 1L. i liked it! not perfect but pretty good. i lived with a roommate and i thought the rent was pretty reasonable (i think we each paid 525 plus utilities or smth). the location is super good. really close walk to richmond row for going out like to bars and stuff, and also really close walk to the 106/6 bus stop that goes to school and also busses that go to masonville and stuff like that. also a pretty close walk to the greyhound station if you're going back to toronto or wherever. close-ish to the grocery store, there's a valumart that's like a 15ish minute walk, maybe even 20 mins, which is kinda far if you're carrying lots of groceries, but you can also take the bus for the 2 or 3 stops. the only con is that the building is not super nice, like it's definitely not a condo or anything near it lol, and the lobby sometimes smelled bad-ish (like really really strong cleaning products), and i definitely had some bug issues in my unit (like i frequently saw silverfish and centipedes) but it wasn't unbearable, like the bug issue was like a 3/10 issue for me. all in all i would give the building like a 7/10 haha.

I can't say I ever spent too much time in this area, lived mostly on the other side of the river, but everything besides the building condition here sounds right. Do leave early for all your exams though, because the geniuses who did London's city planning decided to run a train through the middle of the main downtown artery, and Murphy's Law will get you every time. You're around some great food you can get on your way back there, which is both a blessing and a curse, depending on your disposition. Burrito Boyz, Little Ceasar's (if you're into that), Barakat, Smokes, and there's a damn good taco place right by Vic Park. I think it may be a little more and I'm not sure about it's availability, but I've heard good things about people living in the Marq buildings by the Talbot St Underpass.

All that being said, I still suggest living on the other side of the river, just due to how the buses are routed. Coming from the west has a bus stop basically right outside the Law building, whereas anything crossing the bridge means you need to either walk all the way up UC Hill, or from NatSci.

On 7/24/2018 at 5:27 PM, student3416 said:

If it's stir fry it's probably from the grad club.. they do catering there, thanks! Also thank God we don't have to introduce ourselves one by one. That'd be something...

Grad Club is in the basement of Middlesex, and I don't think they cater events. You're thinking of Great Hall Catering. I can't say I was ever really a fan of their food, but that may just be my preferences. 

Do law students have time to travel during the February reading week? Is it a busy time where we'll need to actually use that week to catch up?

49 minutes ago, LawStudent1996 said:

Do law students have time to travel during the February reading week? Is it a busy time where we'll need to actually use that week to catch up?

I travelled every year. Your Jan term paper (in upper years) might be due around that time, but you have plenty of time before to work on it. 

18 minutes ago, Cabaret said:

I travelled every year. Your Jan term paper (in upper years) might be due around that time, but you have plenty of time before to work on it. 

Thanks for your reply! Do 1Ls have a term paper at that time, or anything else I would need to focus on?

3 hours ago, LawStudent1996 said:

Thanks for your reply! Do 1Ls have a term paper at that time, or anything else I would need to focus on?

I would recommend waiting until after classes start in September to decide whether to book travel. The Winter term is a very busy time. Western technically has 3 'terms,' Fall (September-December), January, and Winter (February-April). Because of this, the Winter term is shorter, and may feel like more of a time crunch. It honestly does depend on the person (studying habits, organization, etc.), but I would recommend waiting until you get in the swing of things to book something.

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, LawStudent1996 said:

Sorry, not 100% sure anymore. They seem to change the 1L January term dates/assignments a little every year so I can't be sure. But like I said, I went away for Reading Week in 1L, 2L, and 3L and don't think it had a negative impact on me/my schoolwork.

• Thanks 1

On Western's website, it says that the pass/fail course "Orientation to the Law & the Legal System" provides "background for the study of law." Will this include things like briefing cases and making summaries?

38 minutes ago, student3416 said:

On Western's website, it says that the pass/fail course "Orientation to the Law & the Legal System" provides "background for the study of law." Will this include things like briefing cases and making summaries?

The first assignment in my year was a case brief. A summary is essentially a collection of many case briefs. 

On 7/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, LawStudent1996 said:

Just finished 1L; don't worry, your Jan intensive (Long Memo) and subsequent moots will be done by then. You'll have plenty of readings to do over the week (It is law school after all), but there's nothing pressing due when you get back and I know people that left the country for the week.

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to book flights for an important event the second weekend of september, but it is a bit difficult without having our schedule and I'd like to do it before the prices increase or the seats sell out. What time are 1L's typically done on Fridays?

28 minutes ago, hopefuljd2018 said:

I'm trying to book flights for an important event the second weekend of september, but it is a bit difficult without having our schedule and I'd like to do it before the prices increase or the seats sell out. What time are 1L's typically done on Fridays?

Hard to say. But it's the second week of September - nothing substantial will be happening then. Just book your ticket and talk to whomever your Friday prof is about that class' material should you need to miss one. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 6:27 AM, Iwantajd said:

Can anyone speak to 565 talbot st? 

Also, for ladies, is a blazer and a pencil skirt passable for formal events or does it have to be a pants suit? 

also wondering this. also do people wear heels usually to the orientation lunch?

Posted (edited)

This year they are introducing Western law backpacks as the small gift at the induction ceremony. Out of curiosity, what was the gift in past years?

Edited by student3416

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2018 at 9:52 PM, student3416 said:

This year they are introducing Western law backpacks as the small gift at the induction ceremony. Out of curiosity, what was the gift in past years?

Um, last year we got a copy of Professor Graham's new book, and a few smaller things (pens, post-it notes [you will get so many post-it notes for free so don't bother buying], small portable charger, etc.)

On 8/16/2018 at 9:51 PM, erbear23 said:

also wondering this. also do people wear heels usually to the orientation lunch?

Most people showed up in suits of some sort. Some people were a bit more casual with a blazer and whatever bottoms. Nobody cares if you're in pants/skirt and nobody cares what shoes you're wearing as long as they're business appropriate. I recommend not losing any sleep over it (because that will come along soon enough). Enjoy O-week 1Ls! 

Edited by kiamia

Hi! Future 1L here. The orientation schedule was emailed to us last night. The email also contained information regarding the business law clinic and it sparked my curiosity. Realistically, can a student participate in more than one clinic? Or is a student even allowed to participate in more than one? I am asking as there are several that seem of interest to me. Is it safe to say that the business law clinic is the most competitive?

12 hours ago, cs8 said:

Hi! Future 1L here. The orientation schedule was emailed to us last night. The email also contained information regarding the business law clinic and it sparked my curiosity. Realistically, can a student participate in more than one clinic? Or is a student even allowed to participate in more than one? I am asking as there are several that seem of interest to me. Is it safe to say that the business law clinic is the most competitive?

Business Law Clinic has probably the most people vying for the fewest spaces, so in that sense yes. As to doing multiple things, whether it's Community Legal Services, BusLaw, Dispute Resolution Centre, something for the Probono Students of Canada, the Journal, or many other things, conceptually and practically it's possible to do more than one at a time. People have in the past; nothing individually is that much work. For the most part I would recommend limiting yourself to one or two major commitments. You'll get busy throughout the year, and you may want to participate in one of the many moots or other competitions that pop up. Remember that you want to come out of 1L with the best grades you can, first and foremost. And have fun. 

(You can only work in one clinic in the summer. I forget if you're required to work in the BusLaw clinic throughout the summer, but you can. And you can apply for Community Legal Services summer positions too if you're there during the year.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1