benschnell

Ask a 1L student

1 hour ago, vanappubc said:

When is the marks release for 1L? 

Grades Meeting is May 11th. So around then. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 7:56 PM, sotiredofyork said:

where do the majority of law students live? 

Check the 2021 facebook group. This differs cohort to cohort, but most students gravitate towards downtown. 

15 hours ago, student3416 said:

Does the law school use OWL like undergraduates do, or is there another system for courses?

yep, OWL. 

Posted (edited)

Do I need a suit for orientation week? I know in the past there has been semi formal events. 

Do people bring guests to that?

Edited by student3416

9 hours ago, student3416 said:

Do I need a suit for orientation week? I know in the past there has been semi formal events. 

Do people bring guests to that?

Yes, you should have a suit. Aside from the semi formal dinner, a few years ago the school introduced some sort of professionalism ceremony that I think (from looking at the pictures) people wore business attire for.

I didn't bring a guest/my S.O. to any o-week events and I don't know of anyone who did. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure you even had the option of bringing a guest, but things might have changed over the last few years.

1 hour ago, Rearden said:

Yes, you should have a suit. Aside from the semi formal dinner, a few years ago the school introduced some sort of professionalism ceremony that I think (from looking at the pictures) people wore business attire for.

I didn't bring a guest/my S.O. to any o-week events and I don't know of anyone who did. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure you even had the option of bringing a guest, but things might have changed over the last few years.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Rearden said:

Yes, you should have a suit. 

Would business separates work? Like dress pants and a blazer or would I feel out of place?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, foreveraloan said:

Would business separates work? Like dress pants and a blazer or would I feel out of place?

You would likely be out of place. Try to keep an eye out for deals before the school year starts and invest in a suit. You'll need one for networking, interviews, moots, and so on anyway. 

Edited by hmyo
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 5:33 PM, hmyo said:

Grades Meeting is May 11th. So around then. 

Hi, are you sure about this? I'm a nervous 1L and I couldn't find this information anywhere. Really hope it happens tomorrow and I can stop worrying.

2 hours ago, awesd said:

Hi, are you sure about this? I'm a nervous 1L and I couldn't find this information anywhere. Really hope it happens tomorrow and I can stop worrying.

You can see it on OWL's calendar or you can verify by checking the recruiting emails Robyn sends out regarding when to order transcripts. 

We should have our marks sometime tomorrow if all goes well. 

20 hours ago, hmyo said:

You can see it on OWL's calendar or you can verify by checking the recruiting emails Robyn sends out regarding when to order transcripts. 

We should have our marks sometime tomorrow if all goes well. 

Do you happen to know how to access your marks? I can't seem to find them even though the email on reviewing exams came in.

49 minutes ago, dparkus said:

Do you happen to know how to access your marks? I can't seem to find them even though the email on reviewing exams came in.

I guess not all went well today. Last year they were out the same day as the grades meeting. I reckon Mysty's absence may be impacting operations a bit this year. 

Hold tight and hope for Monday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2018 at 8:26 PM, hmyo said:

I guess not all went well today. Last year they were out the same day as the grades meeting. I reckon Mysty's absence may be impacting operations a bit this year. 

Hold tight and hope for Monday. 

Really missing Mysty at this point. I know they are all trying their best, but I need my marks bruhh.

I need to know whether I'm Bay street or Bloor st. 

1 minute ago, awesd said:

Really missing Mysty at this point. I know they are all trying their best, but I need my marks bruhh.

I need to know whether I'm Bay street or Bloor st. 

Marks went up today around 3pm. 

Just now, hmyo said:

Marks went up today around 3pm. 

Where????:o I don't have anything on student centre. 

1 hour ago, awesd said:

Where????:o I don't have anything on student centre. 

On the right column, web academic transcript. Request a report. 

Go tell your classmates and be a hero.

14 hours ago, hmyo said:

On the right column, web academic transcript. Request a report. 

Go tell your classmates and be a hero.

Thank you!!! Unfortunately, only have one grade out. Hopefully they release the rest today. 

Not sure if I wanna be the bearer of bad news. Although by now the released grade is also on student centre so I'm sure everyone is aware. 

2 hours ago, awesd said:

Thank you!!! Unfortunately, only have one grade out. Hopefully they release the rest today. 

Not sure if I wanna be the bearer of bad news. Although by now the released grade is also on student centre so I'm sure everyone is aware. 

They're all up now. Thankfully the single grade I was looking at for the past 24 hours was one of my worst ones. It was a humbling experience. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For those who have clinic experience. In regards to the Business Law clinic and CLS, what is the application process like and what do they look for in a candidate? I found an old post from 2010, but I imagine it may be outdated. Thanks!

Edited by student3416