Sign in to follow this  
Kstar1266

UVIC vs TRU

Hello!

I'm currently an undergrad student at TRU. I am just trying to gather info and prioritize schools as I will likely be applying in the fall. It is mainly between UVIC and TRU for me (although I will probably apply at UBC and U of C as well). I've come up with a few pros and cons for my top two, but would love some input from current students, especially about UVIC.

If anyone has any info about the likelihood of obtaining scholarships/bursaries at either school I would also like to take that into consideration.

Pros of TRU: 

- family lives here, and so do I (can always move back in with my parents if i need to)

- fairly cheap rent

- I hear TRU is the best for getting positions in the interior, which would be nice

- TRU has a nice campus

Cons of TRU:

- high tuition

- new school, not a lot of info about it out there

- Kamloops is a pretty boring city

Pros of UVIC:

- Law Co-op program

- lower tuition

- fair weather in winter

- better reputation 

- also a pretty nice campus, beautiful city

Cons of UVIC

- higher cost of living

- moving away is obviously a little less convenient

I am essentially just trying to gather as much information as I can in the off chance that I end up having to choose between the two. It would also just be nice to be able to answer people when they ask me where i'd like to go haha.

If anyone has any convincing arguments for other schools, I am certainly open to that information as well! 

Thank you  :)

Youve pretty much hit all the differences on the head.  I do believe that every one who goes to school should have the experience of moving to a new city

• Like 1

Hello!

I'm currently an undergrad student at TRU. I am just trying to gather info and prioritize schools as I will likely be applying in the fall. It is mainly between UVIC and TRU for me (although I will probably apply at UBC and U of C as well). I've come up with a few pros and cons for my top two, but would love some input from current students, especially about UVIC.

If anyone has any info about the likelihood of obtaining scholarships/bursaries at either school I would also like to take that into consideration.

So you're going to be applying in fall 2016, for a fall 2017 start date?

Way, way, way too early to start worrying about this.

If you want to work on law school admissions, work on your current courses and keep practicing your LSAT. Once you start getting acceptances, then decide which school to go to. You may find that where you are admitted to (or not), or what burseries or scholarships you are offered (or not) makes the decision very easy for you.

• Like 1

So you're going to be applying in fall 2016, for a fall 2017 start date?

Way, way, way too early to start worrying about this.

If you want to work on law school admissions, work on your current courses and keep practicing your LSAT. Once you start getting acceptances, then decide which school to go to. You may find that where you are admitted to (or not), or what burseries or scholarships you are offered (or not) makes the decision very easy for you.

Not at all early.

OP There is a considerable difference between the two. Personally, as an undergraduate here, I would recommend UVic over TRU. Reputation, location, and generally opportunities are greater at UVic.

Hello!

Pros of TRU: 

- family lives here, and so do I (can always move back in with my parents if i need to)

- fairly cheap rent

- I hear TRU is the best for getting positions in the interior, which would be nice

- TRU has a nice campus

Cons of TRU:

- high tuition

- new school, not a lot of info about it out there

- Kamloops is a pretty boring city

Pros of UVIC:

- Law Co-op program

- lower tuition

- fair weather in winter

- better reputation 

- also a pretty nice campus, beautiful city

Cons of UVIC

- higher cost of living

- moving away is obviously a little less convenient

I am essentially just trying to gather as much information as I can in the off chance that I end up having to choose between the two. It would also just be nice to be able to answer people when they ask me where i'd like to go haha.

If anyone has any convincing arguments for other schools, I am certainly open to that information as well! 

Thank you  :)

Honestly, best thing to do in a case like this is to look at the cost. If Uvic is cheaper its the way to go, there is nothing a TRU degree will get you that a Uvic degree won't but the extra money is great. On the other hand, if TRU is cheaper go there. However, I am assuming (based on your post) that you want to work in the interior. Otherwise, Uvic is probably the best way to go. 

Edited by TheLawStudent

Not at all early.

OP There is a considerable difference between the two. Personally, as an undergraduate here, I would recommend UVic over TRU. Reputation, location, and generally opportunities are greater at UVic.

Please refrain from giving people law school related advice if you are still in undergrad.

OP: sounds like you are also seeking out a new experience in a different environment! Maybe you should add that to your list under uVIC. I am pretty biased in this because I go to TRU (and I think its a great school), but if you have lived in Kamloops for most of your life and would like to experience something new, then this is the time to venture out and see the world ;) 

In my very bias opinion UVIC really the only downside is that Frazer High is aging but one of these year they will get a new student lounge( Was promise the year I attended) I would add the excellent clinic programming to UVIC (Both ELC and Law Centre are Excellent again for full disclose I was on the board of ELC and did law centre) and TRU is only starting to investigate the opinion clinic program, for me clinic education is key key key to a legal education.

OP what would your total cost look at each? that can be important as TRU is cheaper living but Uvic would have cheaper tuition

In my very bias opinion UVIC really the only downside is that Frazer High is aging but one of these year they will get a new student lounge( Was promise the year I attended) I would add the excellent clinic programming to UVIC (Both ELC and Law Centre are Excellent again for full disclose I was on the board of ELC and did law centre) and TRU is only starting to investigate the opinion clinic program, for me clinic education is key key key to a legal education.

OP what would your total cost look at each? that can be important as TRU is cheaper living but Uvic would have cheaper tuition

I can't speak for all Canadian law schools, but I think clinical education is pretty widespread across the board.

TRU has an on-campus clinic, in addition to a community outreach centre in North Shore, and a legal information centre. 

Please refrain from giving people law school related advice if you are still in undergrad.

OP: sounds like you are also seeking out a new experience in a different environment! Maybe you should add that to your list under uVIC. I am pretty biased in this because I go to TRU (and I think its a great school), but if you have lived in Kamloops for most of your life and would like to experience something new, then this is the time to venture out and see the world ;) 

Why would someone who attends/attended laws school be better at giving advice, especially in comparison of multiple schools, than me? Its not like most students have attended multiple schools. Its research. You can read about it like me, or experience it like law students.

I can't speak for all Canadian law schools, but I think clinical education is pretty widespread across the board.

TRU has an on-campus clinic, in addition to a community outreach centre in North Shore, and a legal information centre

Cool cool nothing showed up on a google search