Sign in to follow this  
studyhound

Clerkship 2016

Any SCC news?

If lower courts have started, the SCC has as well. Lower courts (i.e. non-SCC courts) don't make any offers until the SCC is done.

If lower courts have started, the SCC has as well. Lower courts (i.e. non-SCC courts) don't make any offers until the SCC is done.

Lower courts will make interview offers before the SCC, but they usually won't make actual clerkship offers before the SCC. I'm not sure interview offers from other courts mean anything for whether SCC interview offers have gone out, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Many courts give out interviews before the SCC. I used to think that lowers courts all waited for the SCC before giving out offers, too. But I have been disabused of that misconception. Some courts have already given out offers, while the SCC does not begin interviews until March 7th.

For the past couple of years the SCC has released interviews the week of Family Day. That is this week. So expect them soon!

Question: 

If you are selected for an SCC interview, how soon do you have to provide your two writing samples?

Is it immediately upon receiving the interview notification? Is it at the interview?

I ask because, if I'm lucky enough to get an interview (which, I hear I will probably find out about sometime in the next couple of days, if history repeats), I am working on a paper for this semester which I would want to include.

Also, does anyone know about what sort of length limitations the SCC would place on submitted writing samples? I haven't been able to find any info on that anywhere.

Lower courts will make interview offers before the SCC, but they usually won't make actual clerkship offers before the SCC. I'm not sure interview offers from other courts mean anything for whether SCC interview offers have gone out, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Many courts give out interviews before the SCC. I used to think that lowers courts all waited for the SCC before giving out offers, too. But I have been disabused of that misconception. Some courts have already given out offers, while the SCC does not begin interviews until March 7th.

For the past couple of years the SCC has released interviews the week of Family Day. That is this week. So expect them soon!

My mistake, then. I didn't do the SCC process, but figured that since lower courts (or, in light of joeyman's post, at least most of them) wait until the SCC is done before making their own offers, they wouldn't bother beginning interviews until the SCC had at least started that stage. 

Not sure what your basis is for saying lower courts don't all wait for the SCC to be done. I was told this directly by an appellate and trial level court last year, and they indicated this was the case across the country. I can't really imagine a court telling the SCC "no" on this...

Question: 

If you are selected for an SCC interview, how soon do you have to provide your two writing samples?

It is probably easiest to just copy and paste the email I received last year on February 18: 

This is to confirm that you have been selected to be interviewed for a law clerk position at the Supreme Court of Canada.  Please take note the following instructions:

• Please confirm as soon as possible by return e-mail that you will accept to come for your interview(s) at the Supreme Court of Canada. 

The schedule is very tight due to the number of interviews and the judges’ availability.  Each interview will take approximately 30 minutes...

Then it goes on with the list of your interviews (you get a list of all the judges & committee, but only interview with the ones where there is a time), and provides the travel reimbursement details. 

[edit for the date of the email]

Edited by StandardOfReview

It is probably easiest to just copy and paste the email I received last year on February 18: 

This is to confirm that you have been selected to be interviewed for a law clerk position at the Supreme Court of Canada.  Please take note the following instructions:

• Please confirm as soon as possible by return e-mail that you will accept to come for your interview(s) at the Supreme Court of Canada. 

The schedule is very tight due to the number of interviews and the judges’ availability.  Each interview will take approximately 30 minutes...

Then it goes on with the list of your interviews (you get a list of all the judges & committee, but only interview with the ones where there is a time), and provides the travel reimbursement details. 

[edit for the date of the email]

Wow - only 5-10 pages in length!?

Did you have to write two brand new writing samples in preparation for your interview?

I've written papers in law school - but they're all 20+ pages. Nothing near the 5-10 mark. It's basically a blog post.

Not sure what your basis is for saying lower courts don't all wait for the SCC to be done. I was told this directly by an appellate and trial level court last year, and they indicated this was the case across the country. I can't really imagine a court telling the SCC "no" on this...

From BC's Law Clerk Program:

Applications to Other Courts for Clerkships and Alternates Lists

Many candidates for clerkships at the B.C. courts also apply to other courts (the Supreme Court of Canada, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Federal Court). The interview and hiring cycles of the various courts do not coincide. It is generally expected that if a candidate is offered a position with the Court of Appeal or Supreme Court in British Columbia, the candidate will accept the position and stand by the acceptance if made a subsequent offer by another court.

Recognizing  the special status of Supreme Court of Canada, the B.C. Courts Law Clerk program will release a candidate from his/her acceptance of a position with the B.C. courts to permit him/her to take a clerkship at the Supreme Court of Canada. Accordingly, the legal counsel of the Court of Appeal and B.C. Supreme Court maintain an “alternates list”. Candidates on the alternates list are called if another candidate withdraws or declines an offer. Typically, one or two alternates are called on each year.

Wow - only 5-10 pages in length!?

Did you have to write two brand new writing samples in preparation for your interview?

I've written papers in law school - but they're all 20+ pages. Nothing near the 5-10 mark. It's basically a blog post.

I just used excerpts from papers. But I included an introductory paragraph to explain the context of where it sat in the original (much longer) paper.

• Like 2

I just used excerpts from papers. But I included an introductory paragraph to explain the context of where it sat in the original (much longer) paper.

Do you mind if I ask: did you find this was a successful (and/or common) strategy?

Doing this would certainly save me a lot of work, but I wonder if I would be sacrificing efficacy for efficiency.

Do you mind if I ask: did you find this was a successful (and/or common) strategy?

Doing this would certainly save me a lot of work, but I wonder if I would be sacrificing efficacy for efficiency.

It is what was suggested to me by past candidates who were successful. I should say I was not (I was longshot anyway – I was in 2L and am not bilingual).  

I can say the Judges seemed to like my writing sample. It was a case comment that worked well being cut up like that. For what it is worth, I would do it again. 

• Like 1

Anyone hear back from the SCC yet?

CJ sent out emails today. It is for interviews with her by Skype the week before the rest of the Court will interview. The puisne justices will follow 'soon'. 

• Like 1

Oh, interesting. So different timing, same result. I was picturing something stronger (i.e. a court that wouldn't release you for a SCC offer) after reading of someone being "disabused of that misconception"...

CJ sent out emails today. It is for interviews with her by Skype the week before the rest of the Court will interview. The puisne justices will follow 'soon'. 

Can confirm interview offers from some of the Puisne Justices went out by email this morning.

Can confirm interview offers from some of the Puisne Justices went out by email this morning.

Thanks for this.

I remember hearing from the school admins that the SCC recently changed their interview process, such that the CJ and two puisne judges have opted out of a new panel process (which the other 6 puisne judges participate in).

Thus, the maximum possible interviews one can have with the SCC is now four.

I wonder if all of the offers have gone out. 

I'll go back to checking this thread every four minutes for updates.

Thanks for this.

I remember hearing from the school admins that the SCC recently changed their interview process, such that the CJ and two puisne judges have opted out of a new panel process (which the other 6 puisne judges participate in).

Thus, the maximum possible interviews one can have with the SCC is now four.

I wonder if all of the offers have gone out. 

I'll go back to checking this thread every four minutes for updates.

The 4 most senior judges on the court are doing their own interviews. The 5 junior judges are utilizing the committee.

• Like 1