Sign in to follow this  
harveyspecter993

Bay Street Bonuses

On 6/25/2018 at 6:17 AM, easttowest said:

The horror.

I didn't say this applied to "equity" partners, I said "partners" generally. Just to clarify.

In Canada, there is no data about how many "equity" partners there are. It's not because people are partners that they are equity partners (except at the firms that only have one-tier partnership).

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, easttowest said:

The horror.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to work so long and hard, sacrifice so much just to make marginally more (if not less) than some associates.

2 hours ago, setto said:

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to work so long and hard, sacrifice so much just to make marginally more (if not less) than some associates.

Especially if I just invested a half-million-bucks-plus into the place.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if you could be admitted as a partner on Bay Street without enough clients to earn you more than 250K. What would be the point of taking on all the liability and responsibility of a partner with none of the benefits?

Even in a smaller centre and firm, I can't see a partner making 250K. 250K for a partner in a small criminal firm in my part of the country is considered to be on the low side. 

28 minutes ago, lioness said:

I would be surprised if you could be admitted as a partner on Bay Street without enough clients to earn you more than 250K. What would be the point of taking on all the liability and responsibility of a partner with none of the benefits?

Even in a smaller centre and firm, I can't see a partner making 250K. 250K for a partner in a small criminal firm in my part of the country is considered to be on the low side. 

It does seem very low. But it could also depend on the partnership contract. Some firms don't base it on a partner's client book but rather units purchased in the partnership structure. If you own very few units you could end up on the low end.

2 hours ago, lioness said:

To be clear, you won't need to make that out of your own book.  I'll probably ring in about $100k on my own clients this year, but I'll earn the firm about $900,000 total; and I'll be a (very unlikely) candidate for the partnership this year.  Plenty of people with small or non-existent books make partner due to current earnings and future potential.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Uriel said:

To be clear, you won't need to make that out of your own book.  I'll probably ring in about $100k on my own clients this year, but I'll earn the firm about $900,000 total; and I'll be a (very unlikely) candidate for the partnership this year.  Plenty of people with small or non-existent books make partner due to current earnings and future potential.

Yeah, but the point is that why would someone who is worth a million bucks to their firm take on the responsibility of partner for a quarter of what they bring in? As an associate that’s fine - you can gain experience and leave to go somewhere else, start your own firm etc, but a partner is more committed. 

10 hours ago, chirico said:

I didn't say this applied to "equity" partners, I said "partners" generally. Just to clarify.

In Canada, there is no data about how many "equity" partners there are. It's not because people are partners that they are equity partners (except at the firms that only have one-tier partnership).

When people talk about “partner compensation” in law they mean equity partners. Some firms have non-equity partners, and both because it’s only some firms and because when people say “I intend to make partner” they literally mean equity partner, and thirdly because equity partners have a different mechanism of compensation than mere salary, “partner compensation” refers to equity and you would say “non-equity partner compensation” to specify the other meaning.

Just as an FYI. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

When people talk about “partner compensation” in law they mean equity partners. Some firms have non-equity partners, and both because it’s only some firms and because when people say “I intend to make partner” they literally mean equity partner, and thirdly because equity partners have a different mechanism of compensation than mere salary, “partner compensation” refers to equity and you would say “non-equity partner compensation” to specify the other meaning.

Just as an FYI. 

I never really get the point of non-equity partners. My husband says they definitely are not to be compared with equity partners - sometimes they are people who are being considered or want to be considered for partner at a later time, sometimes they are people who are not going to be partner but you want to keep them around for their knowledge and make them feel like they are more valuable than a regular associate. I still think it’s kind of weird.

8 hours ago, lioness said:

Is your “part of the country” inside Marie Henien’s offices?  I’m pretty far from a criminal lawyer but I have trouble believing that $250k is on the low side for a criminal practice anywhere in the country. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NYCLawyer said:

Is your “part of the country” inside Marie Henien’s offices?  I’m pretty far from a criminal lawyer but I have trouble believing that $250k is on the low side for a criminal practice anywhere in the country. 

Marie Henein charges around $1K an hour and some of her cases bill  $500k or more. I am sure she makes way, way above 250k. 

Successful partners or owners of criminal firms can make way more than 250K. 250K is a lot for an associate, junior or average sole practitioner, but it’s not much for those at the top of the profession. 

2 minutes ago, providence said:

Marie Henein charges around $1K an hour and some of her cases bill  $500k or more. I am sure she makes way, way above 250k. 

Successful partners or owners of criminal firms can make way more than 250K. 250K is a lot for an associate, junior or average sole practitioner, but it’s not much for those at the top of the profession. 

I can’t imagine how you could read my post as any anything other than an implication that Marie Henien makes more than $250k. 

I’m not commenting on criminal law specifically. I don’t think $250k is “on the low side” for any type of practice anywhere in the county.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYCLawyer said:

I can’t imagine how you could read my post as any anything other than an implication that Marie Henien makes more than $250k. 

I’m not commenting on criminal law specifically. I don’t think $250k is “on the low side” for any type of practice anywhere in the county.

It sounded as if you were using 250k as the benchmark for a low salary in Henein’s office. But she sets the benchmark way higher than that. (And I don’t know what everyone in her office gets paid or what the partners get, but I have an idea.) 

I know quite a few criminal practitioners that I know/suspect/have been told make a fair bit more than 250k and would consider 250k low. 

Just now, providence said:

It sounded as if you were using 250k as the benchmark for a low salary in Henein’s office. But she sets the benchmark way higher than that. (And I don’t know what everyone in her office gets paid or what the partners get, but I have an idea.) 

I know quite a few criminal practitioners that I know/suspect/have been told make a fair bit more than 250k and would consider 250k low. 

I said that only by defining your “part of the county” as a place like Marie Henien’s offices could $250k be considered low. 

Nobody doubts there are plenty of criminal practioners that make well over $250k but again that has nothing to do with the fact that there’s no area of the country, other than inside an elite practice, where that’s on the low side. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, providence said:

I never really get the point of non-equity partners. My husband says they definitely are not to be compared with equity partners - sometimes they are people who are being considered or want to be considered for partner at a later time, sometimes they are people who are not going to be partner but you want to keep them around for their knowledge and make them feel like they are more valuable than a regular associate. I still think it’s kind of weird.

I always thought that it was primarily a marketing thing, in the sense that saying you are a "partner" is much more appealing than saying you are a "senior associate" to potential new clients

2 minutes ago, Coolname said:

I always thought that it was primarily a marketing thing, in the sense that saying you are a "partner" is much more appealing than saying you are a "senior associate" to potential new clients

I always wonder, wouldn't that piss off the equity partners who actually paid money in and have responsibilities that other people can use the same title without having to do all that? 

2 minutes ago, providence said:

I always wonder, wouldn't that piss off the equity partners who actually paid money in and have responsibilities that other people can use the same title without having to do all that? 

Not when they still get a cut of the profit the person gets from using that title haha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, providence said:

Non-equity partners are partners - to everyone except the management of the firm. For example, many firms have MANY non-equity partners (the trend is increasing). As a client, you don't know if someone is an equity partner or not (unless you have a close relationship with them and you ask them), and within the firm, associates also don't know.

Edited by chirico

6 hours ago, Coolname said:

Not when they still get a cut of the profit the person gets from using that title haha

It's misleading to say that equity partners get a share of the profits. That share can be almost nothing, unless you are at a pure lock-step firm or you are a top performer. It's very misleading to tell people equity partners make a lot of money. It's not necessarily true. It's all tied to the amount of client revenue you generate.

8 hours ago, NYCLawyer said:

As Providence has said, you don't seem to understand what was actually said.

• Like 1