Sign in to follow this  
harveyspecter993

Bay Street Bonuses

8 hours ago, erinl2 said:

This is the type of definitive statement that no one should put too much stock in, especially when it's made by an articling student. As Uriel said above, practices aren't transparent, even within a firm.

Isn't there also that satellite New York firm in Toronto that pays on the New York scale?

which would make the claim patently false

Also Morgans bonuses at 30% of collected A/Rs over 2000 hours.

2 hours ago, Uriel said:

Also Morgans bonuses at 30% of collected A/Rs over 2000 hours.

Plus you can redeem it at 1.5:1 for minutes on the company helicopter.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:52 AM, erinl2 said:

This is the type of definitive statement that no one should put too much stock in, especially when it's made by an articling student. As Uriel said above, practices aren't transparent, even within a firm.

Sure, feel free to do your own research. This excludes US firms, obviously. Also, it only applies to early associates, as compensation after some years changes.

I know that Davies pays the most, in fact, you can simply ask the recruiter and she will break down the number for you. Feel free to disagree if you have some other information. They have a profit sharing and a bonus, which gives more than the 30% bonus you can get elsewhere.

Edited by chirico

On 6/20/2018 at 10:33 PM, Uriel said:

That's interesting.  I can't say it's not true --- it might well be, it makes sense --- but that's an oddly certain statement to make when practices aren't transparent.  My firm's going with its hair on fire this year and the partners are all grinning about the likely size of our bonuses this year (which is not tied to a fixed percentage of hours).  At my current pace I'm expecting pretty danged high five figures.

Would I make more at Davies?  I have no idea.

My statement only applies to early associates. After a couple of years, you cannot make any general statements about compensation.

The people within Davies have access to everyone's compensation - so you could find out perhaps!

Edited by chirico

On 6/21/2018 at 2:52 AM, erinl2 said:

especially when it's made by an articling student.

I have no idea why people keep saying things like this. My information comes from actual sources, it is not based on my "opinions". Just meet with Davies' recruiter yourself if you don't believe me. My credibility has nothing to do with what I am saying.

My opinion is that such thinking hurts this forum badly.

Just meet with Davies' recruiter and ask him/her if Davies pays more. Just ask!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, chirico said:

I have no idea why people keep saying things like this. My information comes from actual sources, it is not based on my "opinions". Just meet with Davies' recruiter yourself if you don't believe me. My credibility has nothing to do with what I am saying.

My opinion is that such thinking hurts this forum badly.

We get it. You work at Davies.

• Like 1

Just now, bernard said:

We get it. You work at Davies.

I don't... Am I not clear?

3 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

Just meet with Davies' recruiter and ask him/her if Davies pays more. Just ask!

100%. I met with her (as an outsider) and she actually showed me a chart of the total compensation (including max bonus) paid to first year associates by all law firms in Toronto.

Edited by chirico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chirico said:

100%. I met with her (as an outsider) and she actually showed me a chart of the total compensation (including max bonus) paid to first year associates by all law firms in Toronto.

Dude, Hondas are the best value, I met with the Honda salesperson and they showed me a chart! 

I am going out of my way to share special knowledge that Davies pays more than 30% bonus (to everyone!), and all you do is laugh and not provide any other information?

Good luck.

Edited by chirico

Just now, Coolname said:

Dude, Hondas are the best value, I met with the Honda salesperson and they showed me a chart! 

That can't be true! Kias are way cheaper, but have much lower maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle. Their salesperson patiently explained that to me.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Special knowledge :rolleyes:

It's the "word on the street". Must be true.

56 minutes ago, chirico said:

Think she might be biased?

21 minutes ago, providence said:

Think she might be biased?

You can verify these numbers yourself. I have looked into it.

I am really surprised that people don't believe Davies pays the most.. they literally made a comment that their employees were slaves... They work extremely hard and they have a unique partnership structure.  Why is it surprising that they make slightly more?

Edited by chirico

I have represented Bay St law firms in lawsuits where associate compensation is the principal issue. I have some understanding of this issue.

23 minutes ago, chirico said:

You can verify these numbers yourself. I have looked into it.

I am really surprised that people don't believe Davies pays the most.. they literally made a comment that their employees were slaves... They work extremely hard and they have a unique partnership structure.  Why is it surprising that they make slightly more?

I must have fallen asleep in US history, because I always thought slaves were rather well known for not being compensated well :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1