Sign in to follow this  
jaberry

Rate your school's gym!

So this may seem like a really random topic, but I am pretty into health and fitness and looking to start 1L next fall. Although this probably won't influence my decision as there are always other gyms, just would be nice to know going in. My current school has great facilities, but I was hoping that anyone with information could tell me about theirs since this is pretty important to me. Including quality and quantity of machines and equipment, proximity, and how busy it is. 

Overall, my top two schools are UVic and Dal but I would be curious to hear about any school really. 

Edited by jaberry
  • Like 1

I got my undergrad at UofM, and the Athletic Centre opened up last year. It's had some flooding issues after heavy rain, but the consensus seems to be that it's a beautiful building all around. Windows everywhere (though, just between us, I always loved the old gym).

• Like 1

Lets just say that the Osgoode/ York gym is beyond dismal. You're getting hidden charges for the gym in your tuition fees, because they know that otherwise most people wouldn't pay that price to go there. The facilities are run-down and old and the machines look like they're from the 90s.

• Like 1

UBC's is actually the worst, though. You need to go to Gold's (another one on campus) to get a decent workout.

• Like 2

uOttawa is OK if you go in the mornings, but anytime after that you're gonna be fighting people to get on everything but the hip-rotation-stretchy-groin-thing machines. And since the university wants to accept half the country's high school students in the next few years, it's probably going to get worse.

• Like 2

Queen's is good for doing strength, bodybuilding, or cardio training but it does get fairly busy in the afternoon.

I lifted at Dal a few summers ago and I seem to recall it being fairly good (lots of free weights, fairly good bodybuilding machines, etc.). 

• Like 1

U of T's got 3 gyms, but I've only personally gone to the ones at the athletic centre and Hart house. 

the AC is pretty good for strength training, but forget about getting a squat rack or a bench between 10 AM and 8 PM. it's just not gonna happen. Cardio options are pretty good in the field house - 200m track, ellipticals, and variety of bikes which seem to be rarely used. For some reason all of the treadmills there have really weird ellipsis-shaped tracks which are a pain to run on. Squash courts are standard-size, and usually empty if you want to drop in. Hours are awkward on weekends - for some reason the gym closes at 5.

Hart house's weight room is tiny, but honestly less busy that the AC. equipment is pretty old, but in decent repair (if you count duct tape as 'repair.') Cardio room is awesome, the treadmills aren't built using non-euclidean geometry, but the track is shorter. Squash courts are about a metre narrower than standard (seriously, why?!) and seem to fill up more regularly. Hours on weekends are longer, but the holiday hours suck (11-4.)

• Like 2

Goldring, which is the new gym at UofT, is amazing. The facilities are brand new, and the cardio machines are top-notch stuff. The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is how much glass the building has, since I'm not exactly a fan of having other people seeing how much I suck at endurance running from the streets. :P

I don't even go to Western but from the one day tour I spent there when choosing where to do my undergrad, it blew me away. One of, if not the, best in the country I'd say.

I don't even go to Western but from the one day tour I spent there when choosing where to do my undergrad, it blew me away. One of, if not the, best in the country I'd say.

Yeah, the gym at Western is pretty unreal. Nicer than any paid gym I've ever been to, and it's less than 5 minutes from the law building. 

• Like 1

everyone at dal hates the dalplex.  everyone.  i've been here for 3 months and haven't even checked it out yet because i haven't heard a single person speak about it positively. 

Yeah the Western gym is really great. The weight room is massive (about 20 squat racks should be an indication) and then there's everything else you could need as far as cardio machines, courts, tracks, rinks, fields etc.

The one negative is that the weight room does get pretty busy at night.

Yeah the Western gym is really great. The weight room is massive (about 20 squat racks should be an indication) and then there's everything else you could need as far as cardio machines, courts, tracks, rinks, fields etc.

The one negative is that the weight room does get pretty busy at night.

Yeah, but with 20 squat racks whose complaining?! Mine has three and I'm happy! Haha.

Got to give a shout-out to the Western gym as well. It's incredible (that pool is pretttty!) Plus, it's so close to the law building that you'll feel guilty every day for re-organizing (again) the colour-coding of your summaries instead of going to the gym. So that's nice.

• Like 1

uOttawa is OK if you go in the mornings, but anytime after that you're gonna be fighting people to get on everything but the hip-rotation-stretchy-groin-thing machines. And since the university wants to accept half the country's high school students in the next few years, it's probably going to get worse.

Agreed. There are two gyms, but both are often overcrowded. It's manageable if you're willing to be assertive (ask to work in, take weights from the dude using 8 different dumbbells, etc.).

Most law students I know go to the Montpetit gym which is closest to the law building. One thing to note is that there is staff-only fitness hour every Mon-Wed-Fri from 12pm-1. There's also a women's only fitness hour a couple of mornings per week, which can be a pro or a con. The other gym (Minto) has no restrictions on who can use it.

Lets just say that the Osgoode/ York gym is beyond dismal. You're getting hidden charges for the gym in your tuition fees, because they know that otherwise most people wouldn't pay that price to go there. The facilities are run-down and old and the machines look like they're from the 90s.

I thought Tate was passable (meaning it leaves a lot to be desired, but is OK) - but I do agree that it's a little shitty that they charge you extra to access the fitness equipment. I believe the fee is nominal though, something like $15.00 per semester. 

Before Osgoode I was at UofT. Hart House and the AC are reasonably good gyms, albeit a bit crowded. No campus gym compares to private gyms though. 

I found the fitness center at Queen's (ARC) to be great. Fairly spacious new weight room overlooking the main gym, with an olympic/varsity weight room below, along with numerous spin/dance/classrooms and generally clean and bright facilities. It did have a tendency to get crowded at peak times, but not unreasonably so.

While I haven't seen many other school gyms (apart UBC, Waterloo, SFU), I was impressed. Coming from an SFU undegrad that also boasted a new fitness center, Queen's did not disappoint, IMO. It's also a bonus that the ARC is basically kitty-corner from the law school and just across the street from the main campus library (Stauffer). It made it really easy to get a nice quick working in between study sessions.

• Like 1

Uvic just got a new gym, its good, can get busy at times. The new one is paid, there is also one that is more basic that is included under your basic athletic fees. Overall all the buildigs are well kept.

• Like 1

I thought Tate was passable (meaning it leaves a lot to be desired, but is OK) - but I do agree that it's a little shitty that they charge you extra to access the fitness equipment. I believe the fee is nominal though, something like $15.00 per semester. 

Before Osgoode I was at UofT. Hart House and the AC are reasonably good gyms, albeit a bit crowded. No campus gym compares to private gyms though. 

Actually all students are paying something around 200 for the gym. The fees are included in the tuition but most people don't know about it. 

Queens has an awesome gym! Just down the street from the law school. I went there almost everyday during my undergrad. I like that the cardio machines have a TV.
​I saw the new U of T gym when I was there for a visit and it looks amazing!

• Like 2