Sign in to follow this  
clairesawyer

Welcome day?

Hey everyone, 

Congrats to all those of you who've been accepted this round!  I'm really excited to meet you all.  I was wondering about the date of the welcome day.  I could have sworn that Prof. Alarie said that there was a welcome day on December 19th, but everything I'm seeing online says February 19th.  What's the correct date?

For law students who have attended welcome day in recent years, would you recommend going? I'm from Toronto but have been out in BC for the past while, and I'm not sure if I'll be back for then. I'm wondering how much effort I should put into attending. 

For law students who have attended welcome day in recent years, would you recommend going? I'm from Toronto but have been out in BC for the past while, and I'm not sure if I'll be back for then. I'm wondering how much effort I should put into attending. 

A lot of the material is available online. If you simply want to be "informed", I wouldn't say attendance is absolutely necessary to achieve that goal. 

Last year (I'm a 1L now), I found it to be useful as an opportunity to interact with potential classmates and gauge the "fit n feel" of the law school. While these things are important, they may or may not justify the trip to Toronto for you. 

If you have any questions, you can PM me. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

A lot of the material is available online. If you simply want to be "informed", I wouldn't say attendance is absolutely necessary to achieve that goal. 

Last year (I'm a 1L now), I found it to be useful as an opportunity to interact with potential classmates and gauge the "fit n feel" of the law school. While these things are important, they may or may not justify the trip to Toronto for you. 

If you have any questions, you can PM me. 

Cheers 

Thank you, that's very helpful! Will PM you with another question.

Hey orangecat, I'm at 3L who moved out here from the west coast for school. I missed my Welcome Day, but I've helped out at the two since (and will be there in a few weeks as well). Don't sweat missing it. It's nice to get a sense of the crowd, but it isn't the best medium for getting to know people, and there will be plenty of time for that in the lead up to 1L.

I don't come on here very often, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions (about welcome day, coming over from BC, whatever). 

Hey orangecat, I'm at 3L who moved out here from the west coast for school. I missed my Welcome Day, but I've helped out at the two since (and will be there in a few weeks as well). Don't sweat missing it. It's nice to get a sense of the crowd, but it isn't the best medium for getting to know people, and there will be plenty of time for that in the lead up to 1L.

I don't come on here very often, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions (about welcome day, coming over from BC, whatever). 

Thanks, NineOne, that's very helpful to know! :)

• Like 1

Didn't want to link to the specific post for the impressionable young folks?

I don't actually know how to link to a specific post. =)