Sign in to follow this  
SororityGuy

Is there a difference between students across law schools?

Maybe, maybe not. But that doesn't count, because IDK how you can work at a clinic without taking some interest in your case. 

So the problem isn't that people lack interest, but that they aren't getting interested on the right terms?

• Like 2

No, I get what you're saying. I'm not denying that complaining probably occurs at every school across every continent, and that it's a good way to start conversation. I just think it occurs A LOT more at mine. People complain about profs, classes, reading material, assignments every day. I've seen maybe zero people discuss the material outside of class in an "interested" way, not just to prep each other for an test or class. I honestly wonder why they're here if they hate it so much. 

Could be the case, but it could also be a result of the people you're interacting with. I'm fairly social, and I've gotten to know most people in my class. I know where to find the kvetchers and where to find people gung-ho about the subject I'm interested in. Oftentimes, its also a matter of being the person who starts the conversation about whatever they happen to be interested in. Passion about a topic can be contagious.

So the problem isn't that people lack interest, but that they aren't getting interested on the right terms?

No, what I'm saying about the clinic is that YOU'RE FORCED TO take interest. If you don't take interest, nothing gets done. Furthermore, a lot of people see clinic as a way to enhance their resumes (trust me, i've talked to people about this), so they force themselves to take interest on those grounds, and not on grounds related to the subject of law.  

No, what I'm saying about the clinic is that YOU'RE FORCED TO take interest. If you don't take interest, nothing gets done. Furthermore, a lot of people see clinic as a way to enhance their resumes (trust me, i've talked to people about this), so they force themselves to take interest on those grounds, and not on grounds related to the subject of law.  

This is a false assertion. Much like school can be done, and done well, without interest, so can a clinic. Honestly, you seem like you just like to complain about everything. 

It seems like you have a beef with life. 

Eeee was 100% correct in stating that what you are saying is that the problem is not people lacking interest, but that they aren't getting interested on the right terms. I can't help but come to the conclusion that you are a troll. You just disagreed with Eeee' comment by providing an example that actually embodies the comment entirely...I hope/wonder if you are able to realize this. 

• Like 2

This is a false assertion. Much like school can be done, and done well, without interest, so can a clinic. Honestly, you seem like you just like to complain about everything. 

It seems like you have a beef with life. 

Your inability to read and reason soundly is really troubling. I actually thought, after your first post, that you were a troll. Look bro, no one is talking about doing a clinic well, or doing anything well. If you don't get that, not my problem. The fact that you're still trying to antagonize me shows that maybe you have some sort of beef, and not just in your hamburger. 

Do you go to your peers and talk about cases, show excitement over discoveries, and just clearly enjoy yourself every minute in class?

It's easy to complain. It's hard to lead by example. I guarantee you that people in your classes get passionate about certain topics but maybe it's just easier for them to toe the party line and whine about the readings. Buck the trend. Be a leader. See if anyone lights up and joins the conversation you start.

In my professional experience I can get a conversation going with anyone about the shit pay or the impatient judges or the unreasonable Crown policy. It's lazy and easy and bolsters the community feeling of all of us here fighting the good fight together. It is a everyday conversation I have had a thousand times.

But man, I love nothing more than debating the law with someone who has a fire lit under their ass. Almost all of my colleagues can get going that way.

But those conversations take work - and they need to be honest to goodness conversations, not lectures on a single point of view from a single individual. Are you willing to debate, or are you just holding forth? Have you examined your own approach here?

I accept that a lot of your peers are preoccupied with getting a job. That does not preclude a genuine interest in the law. Try starting a conversation about the latter and see how it goes.

• Like 3

While you're worrying about why some people don't genuinely like the subject material those people are probably studying the subject matter even though they don't like it. It is going to be funny when some of these people blow you out of the water.

Interview: yes, I have lower grades, but would you believe me if I told you these other people were only in it for the grades and the jobs! I know, I know, I can't believe it! How dare they have their own motivations and interests. 

Interview: I transferred to ____ because there were a lot of people at my old school who weren't as interested in the subject matter as me. It truly disgusted me. It bothered me so much that I started an online thread about it. No one agreed with me and everyone told me I should just focus on myself...

Edited by transferquestions

Let's keep the advice helpful here. Thread shitting is a direct violation of Rule 3.

While you're worrying about why some people don't genuinely like the subject material those people are probably studying the subject matter even though they don't like it. It is going to be funny when some of these people blow you out of the water.

Did this happen to you? Is this why you're so passionate about my thread?

Also, let me just say not everyone has told me to just "focus on myself." The post above yours says: 

That does not preclude a genuine interest in the law. Try starting a conversation about the latter and see how it goes. 

Edited by SororityGuy

Did this happen to you? Is this why you're so passionate about my thread?

Nope, I was the guy who didn't like the subject matter but was motivated to do well (and ended up doing well) by jobs and life after school. I was also the guy who joked with his friends about the 3 people in the school (you in this case) that thought their feelings and viewpoints should always be validated. I was also the guy who was genuinely perplexed at why some people cared so much about what others intentions and motivations were in school. 

• Like 1

Nope, I was the guy who didn't like the subject matter but was motivated to do well (and ended up doing well) by jobs and life after school. I was also the guy who joked with his friends about the 3 people in the school (you in this case) that thought their feelings and viewpoints should always be validated. I was also the guy who was genuinely perplexed at why some people cared so much about what others intentions and motivations were in school. 

Sure, bro, and I currently am the person who is perplexed everyday by why people care about internet topics that they find "disgusting" and why they can't just ignore those topics, but choose to antagonize the OP's ... because they apparently have nothing better to do than act as a forum troll / bully. By acting as a forum troll / bully, I really have to wonder about how successful you are in your career and life.