Sign in to follow this  
SororityGuy

Is there a difference between students across law schools?

I'm asking this, because I'm not really enjoying law school that much. At my school, I've noticed that VERY FEW of my classmates actually enjoy studying law. Most of them seem to be in it to get a job, and tons of them seem to be really concerned about their public image and social status. So law school is basically a way for them to eventually get a respected job and respected status. (Don't get me wrong, they're good people.) 

Not saying that I want to be an academic or that I'm better than anyone in any way, but I enjoy what I study right now (with minor exceptions). My classmates kind of get me down when all they do is complain about how boring and terrible most of the assigned readings and classes are, and how much they hate assignments. Again, most of them seem to be forcing themselves through the academic aspect so they can reach their ultimate goal of a job. They always talk about how they have so much work and how they're so overworked... so they need to drink to blow off steam. I don't even think we have a lot of work. I think we have a manageable amount. I feel privileged to be able to study such an interesting and meaningful topic.  

My questions for this forum are:

1) Is it like this at every Canadian law school? At your law school, are people more interested in the subject itself?

2) Is it healthy to force yourself through law school, knowing that you hate the subject? Won't you hate practice just as much if not more... ?

School and practice are very different from what I have heard, so no, it is not necessarily so that you will hate practice just because you didn't enjoy the schooling. 

Whether or not it is healthy to force yourself through is likely entirely subjective. You don't always get to do what you want to do in life. If anything, forcing yourself through could be looked at as a skill. 

No one will be able to tell you if it is like this at every Canadian school. Even within schools, people will have different experiences and meet different students. I would think that it is hard to truly gauge what your ENTIRE class thinks of the school and what their motives are. My guess would be that every school has a mix of those who force themselves through, those who are there for the status, those who are only there for the job, those who enjoy the academic experience etc. 

Im also confused, you say that you are not liking law school very much but you enjoy what you study. My advice would be to try and not let what others think about school bother you so much. 

I honestly don't understand why you made a thread about this. 

Edited by transferquestions
  • Like 3

Of course, no one thinks that at any school 100% of the people enjoy the subject. I'm saying that at my school MOST people don't care, with a few exceptions. I can literally count with one hand the number of people who seem to be in this program out of genuine interest in law. 

So to rephrase my questions: are there Canadian schools where this lack of interest in the subject itself is less pervasive? Are there Canadian schools where maybe 50% of the students enjoy studying law?

Why did you respond to the topic if you don't think I should have made it?

Edited by SororityGuy

To answer your other question. I enjoy the subject I study, but I don't enjoy the pervasive negative attitudes of the people I'm surrounded by. I think forcing yourself through the kind of program I'm in really takes a toll on you if you don't enjoy it. If you're only working your ass off for marks, it's going to get tiring after awhile. 

I really don't get why this bothers you. People may not like what they study and be excellent practitioners of the law. What is it that you are really trying to ask and why? Are you looking to transfer to a school if someone reports that most people like the academic material? What does posting this question do for you? Will people at your school suddenly change?

I genuinely do not understand why you care so much about other people not caring. Who cares if people enjoy studying the law. 

Ill give you some free advice: you are almost always going to be surrounded by some negative people (if not enjoying the subject matter found when studying law can even be described as negative), so you best get used to it. 

• Like 1

I really don't get why this bothers you. People may not like what they study and be excellent practitioners of the law. What is it that you are really trying to ask and why? Are you looking to transfer to a school if someone reports that most people like the academic material? What does posting this question do for you? Will people at your school suddenly change?

I genuinely do not understand why you care so much about other people not caring. Who cares if people enjoy studying the law. 

I don't understand what your issue is here. If you don't understand why I'm asking this, why are you taking so much effort to respond?

I asked two very clear questions in my OP, and clarified one question. 

Yes, maybe I want to transfer to a different law school based on what people here report.

Edited by SororityGuy

So to rephrase my questions: are there Canadian schools where this lack of interest in the subject itself is less prevalent? 

Probably? Look, I don't doubt your experience, but most people at Osgoode 1) paid a lot of money and worked their asses off just to be here; and 2) as a result are interested as fuck about the law, albeit also sometimes frustrated by the workload and focused on employment. I think that is the norm, pretty much across the board, for every higher learning institution. Med School students want to be respected doctors (and want to get paid well to do so) in addition to wanting to study medicine. Believe it or not, I would guess a lot of med students aren't passionate about studying human organs, but will make fine doctors.

Also, school itself can be hard work and many people across the planet are natural complainers. Whaddayagonnado. None of this should affect your ability to be fascinated and passionate about "the law". My advice, if you are as serious about being into studying the law as you say you are, is to put your head down and just enjoy it and learn how to not let other people's opinions get in the way of your happiness because that's a really short trip to sadtown. Its like, if you love a movie and other people don't like it and that affects you liking that movie...well who gives a shit what other people think, are you really going to let someone else with a dumb opinion tell you what you like or dislike? 

I can literally count with one hand the number of people who seem to be in this program out of genuine interest in law. 

So hang out more with those people.

Edited by FineCanadianFXs
  • Like 1

Perhaps a reversal will help you realize how stupid the question is.

Hey everyone, I'm wondering what peoples experiences are in regards to people being overly enthusiastic about studying the law at their schools. I hate law school, but I'm getting good grades and I am only in it to get a job. There are too many people at my school that are keen as could be, and they always talk about how great all the readings are and how much they just love to study law. They are ruining my experience, you know, because I can't just focus on what I am doing. So, I'm possibly going to make a huge decision on whether to transfer to another school based on feed back I get here. I'm wondering, does anyone attend a school where most people could care less about the subject matter but are interested in getting a job? If so, please let me know. I would love to surround myself with people who share my interests. I am sick of letting these keeners get me down, they are ruining my experiences so far. 

• Like 2

Probably? Look, I don't doubt your experience, but most people at Osgoode 1) paid a lot of money and worked their asses off just to be here; and 2) as a result are interested as fuck about the law, albeit also sometimes frustrated by the workload and focused on employment. I think that is the norm, pretty much across the board, for every higher learning institution. 

Thanks, that's the type of answer I'm looking for. It's totally normal to be frustrated sometimes by the workload and employment prospects, but this is pretty much what I hear NON STOP at my school, in addition to complaints about classes and professors who are totally fine in my opinion. 

Perhaps a reversal will help you realize how stupid the question is.

Hey everyone, I'm wondering what peoples experiences are in regards to people being overly enthusiastic about studying the law at their schools. I hate law school, but I'm getting good grades and I am only in it to get a job. There are too many people at my school that are keen as could be, and they always talk about how great all the readings are and how much they just love to study law. They are ruining my experience, you know, because I can't just focus on what I am doing. So, I'm possibly going to make a huge decision on whether to transfer to another school based on feed back I get here. I'm wondering, does anyone attend a school where most people could care less about the subject matter but are interested in getting a job? If so, please let me know. I would love to surround myself with people who share my interests. I am sick of letting these keeners get me down, they are ruining my experiences so far. 

That's a legit question. I could see someone feeling frustrated in that type of situation where everyone is super keen. Why are you still here, when you have said multiple times that my question is "stupid" or meaningless?

Edited by SororityGuy

That's a legit question. I could see someone feeling frustrated in that type of situation where everyone is super keen. Why are you still here, by the way? 

So you're looking for a school where people can't complain, because that bothers you but they also can't be too keen or overly enthusiastic about the material. Got it. 

Maybe your classmates have other loci of control besides school and don't really care whether or not their professor likes them/their work validates them, so long as they just get their ticket punched. It doesn't have to be a binary of passionate keeners/superficial phonies.

• Like 3

but this is pretty much what I hear NON STOP at my school, in addition to complaints about classes and professors who are totally fine in my opinion. 

This is a feature of every school across the country, I guarantee it. Because school is so expensive, and modern peeps are mega-entitled, and because griping occurs at, generally speaking, a greater dynamic volume than when people say things like "Holy shit, you check out this McLachlan dissent, yo? Mad skills. So impressed. Hey everyone get a load of this..." not a thing. But "ah fuck 150 pages of reading last night I'm dying, I better get a sweet Bay st job for all this effort"...regularly shouted from the rooftops with a megaphone. Its human, its loud, and it is either easily ignored or sympathized with. Pick your poison.

Edited by FineCanadianFXs
  • Like 1

So you're looking for a school where people can't complain, because that bothers you but they also can't be too keen or overly enthusiastic about the material. Got it. 

Lol, seriously, just stop posting and trying to antagonize people. 

This is a feature of every school across the country, I guarantee it. Because school is so expensive, and modern peeps are mega-entitled, and because griping occurs at, generally speaking, a greater dynamic volume than when people say things like "Holy shit, you check out this McLachlan dissent, yo? Mad skills. So impressed. Hey everyone get a load of this..." not a thing. But "ah fuck 150 pages of reading last night I'm dying, I better get a sweet Bay st job for all this effort"...regularly shouted from the rooftops with a megaphone. Its human, its loud, and it is either easily ignored or sympathized with. Pick your poison.

No, I get what you're saying. I'm not denying that complaining probably occurs at every school across every continent, and that it's a good way to start conversation. I just think it occurs A LOT more at mine. People complain about profs, classes, reading material, assignments every day. I've seen maybe zero people discuss the material outside of class in an "interested" way, not just to prep each other for an test or class. I honestly wonder why they're here if they hate it so much. 

• Like 1

No, I get what you're saying. I'm not denying that complaining probably occurs at every school across every continent, and that it's a good way to start conversation. I just think it occurs A LOT more at mine. People complain about profs, classes, reading material, assignments every day. I've seen maybe zero people discuss the material outside of class in an "interested" way, not just to prep each other for an test or class. I honestly wonder why they're here if they hate it so much. 

...Has absolutely no idea what occurs in other Canadian law schools (or other schools across every continent)...thinks complaining legit happens A LOT more at his school than every other school. 

C'mon man

I've seen maybe zero people discuss the material outside of class in an "interested" way, not just to prep each other for an test or class.

Have you tried volunteering at the clinic?

• Like 1

...Has absolutely no idea what occurs in other Canadian law schools (or other schools across every continent)...thinks complaining legit happens A LOT more at his school than every other school. 

C'mon man

I'm comparing my experience here to undergrad and grad schools, lol. 

Have you tried volunteering at the clinic?

Maybe, maybe not. But that doesn't count, because IDK how you can work at a clinic without taking some interest in your case.