Sign in to follow this  
Bleepbloopblop

Old study materials: Are they still useful?

I have received a bunch of books, practice tests and other materials from a lawyer I work with who took the LSAT way back in 2006. These books and tests date from 2005/2006.

Are these still useful for studying and preparing with? Or is it a waste of time to use these as a starting point?

Thank-you.

Edited by Bleepbloopblop

They are fairly useful. The LSAT has made some revisions since then, so I also would suggest to try to get some new materials if you can. But overall, fairly useful.

Great, thank you. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time with them.

I will definitely pick up some more recent tests to practice with them as well. :)

Edited by Bleepbloopblop

The LSAT format and style hasn't really changed much throughout the years, so older materials should be fine. A couple changes I know of is that the newer LSATs have split the games in the LG section on two pages rather than one. The RC section also includes comparative reading passages which split the passage into two parts, usually by different authors on the same subject. Sometimes the authors agree, sometimes they disagree, and sometimes the compliment each other. Obviously this introduces a new set of skills that you need to hone, since you are now asked to mentally keep track of each section and what the differences and similarities are. 

As far as LG questions, the makers like to alternate between game types so some years they like to throw in many sequencing games or the occasional rare mapping game. Some years they completely leave those out. 

I'm using the 2015 version if the Powerscore LG Bible, but I don't know how it differs from the 2014 one or the 2009 version, and etc. 

Either way, the older materials should be able to teach you the fundamentals, but perhaps miss the few nuances of the new version like statistical analysis of correct answers for guessing and perhaps don't have details about the frequency of some of the more recent games and questions.