Sign in to follow this  
crimguy44

Toronto 2016 2L Recruitment

Wow guys, just want to congratulate everyone on their OCI hauls. I am really enjoying the supportive nature of this thread so far, and expect that it will continue throughout the process.

Also, good luck to my fellow Gaels this upcoming week.

• Like 4

20 OCIs. B+ average. Western.

Only got ITCs from Goodmans and Stikes. So it was a pleasant surprise.

A little late to the party but I was offered 19 OCIs and I'm dropping to 14 [A average Osgoode]

I'll admit I'm gunning for large Bay Street firms, so I'm dropping a handful of small full service firms to help focus my time. 

Best of luck to everyone in the next stage of this crazy process. 

If anyone this year, or looking at this thread in upcoming years, would find the results from my first round of OCI applications helpful, they are as follows:

19/24 OCIs offered (2 boutiques, 2 mid-size firms, 15 large, full-service firms). I have an A average from Osgoode, and a good bit of extracurricular involvement as well. After speaking to a few upper-year friends, I will be trimming down that list slightly to 17 to make it more manageable. 

I'm curious why some OCI applicants with similar grades (B+) from identical schools (particularly Western) have ended up with a dramatically different number of OCIs? Any insights? 

I'm curious why some OCI applicants with similar grades (B+) from identical schools (particularly Western) have ended up with a dramatically different number of OCIs? Any insights? 

Resumé.

Grades are only one factor. If someone entered with extensive business experience firms might look past the B+ average. 

lol at getting the Stikes PFO the week after the CDO list going up.

Had to keep myself from writing a less than civil response. 

Much more to someone's application than just grades, especially all the different lines on your resume and the content/form of your cover letter

It's honestly a crapshoot. I got interviews with firms that are very similar to firms I didn't get interviews with. There's no method to the madness and your interviews will be seemingly random, from what I've noticed from my own personal experience.

• Like 1

Typos.

• Like 4

It's honestly a crapshoot. I got interviews with firms that are very similar to firms I didn't get interviews with. There's no method to the madness and your interviews will be seemingly random, from what I've noticed from my own personal experience.

As others have said above, it is about more than grades, and it is more than a crapshoot. Firms may seem quite similar, but you don't know what's going on internally / what they're looking for. For example, when I did OCIs, I had an interview with a large full service firm in Toronto, and when I got to the interview it quickly became very clear that they were pointedly looking for people who would be interested in their labour/employment group, and to an extent that had guided their interview choices. Sure, from time to time it might come down to something fairly inconsequential, but there are all kinds of factors at play that you don't know about.

• Like 1

Also a B+ average can mean a lot of things. At Osgoode it could be 3 B+s and 5 Bs for instance. It could also be 5 As, 2 B+ and a C. The latter has much better grades and differ by almost a full grade point numerically, yet they both stand at a B+ according to the transcript.

Edited by Radfahrer

Also a B+ average can mean a lot of things. At Osgoode it could be 3 B+s and 5 Bs for instance. It could also be 5 As, 3 B+ and a C. The latter has much better grades, yet they both stand at a B+ according to the transcript.

I had a B+ average with 1 A+ and 3 As, but also 2 C+s. I am wondering if the two C+s had something to do with my dismal showing. 

Edited by hORNS

If anyone was wondering I heard Gowlings sent ITCs at Queen's late last week. Dunno about PFOs.