Sign in to follow this  
RomS

Part Time vs. Full Time

Hi Everyone, 

Question regarding part time and full time. It looks like if I want to take a reduced courseload in first year, I have to drop a "pair" of courses. As a result, it makes me a part time student and I can only take the other two courses in second year. Are there any disadvantages of being a part time student? Can you be part time in first year but then full time second year? I am also planning on taking a couple electives in the summer. Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Hi Everyone, 

Question regarding part time and full time. It looks like if I want to take a reduced courseload in first year, I have to drop a "pair" of courses. As a result, it makes me a part time student and I can only take the other two courses in second year. Are there any disadvantages of being a part time student? Can you be part time in first year but then full time second year? I am also planning on taking a couple electives in the summer. Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Have you gotten permission from the faculty to drop to part time? It's not always easy to do so apparently... Also consider the effects it might have on your provincial student loans :) .

The pairings that I noticed was ECO and Legal Methodology for both part-time students that I knew. Not sure why Legal Meth, but I agree that ECO can wait until year 2, pushing the Advanced Obs courses into year 3.

Yes, they have approved the part time status. I am in the works of trying to get everything else sorted out. The suggestion was that I take out civil and constitutional in which case I am part time OR I take out foundations in which case my course load becomes 12/12 making me full time. Apparently foundations is not needed for second year…. Any disadvantages of not taking foundations? 

Frowndations is pointless, but is good to get out of the way. It sort of frames how to approach law, but the course is not a pre-req. I would take it simply to get it out of the way.