Thatguy

Ask a current student...

Thankyou so much! I have heard about the Buddy system and I will definitely sign up for that. The clubs and activities sound great too. Thanks for all the advice!

• Like 1

Hi everyone! My name is Nick, and I'm the incoming MLSA (Student Body of Robson Hall) President. Myself and the exec were supposed to speak to you all around now as part of the open house, but the open house and other related events have been delayed because of COVID.

We will be in contact with you over the summer. In the meantime, what I'd like to do is open up my messages on here if anyone wants to chat about Robson Hall, whether they should come here, tips, notes packages, professors, courses, or anything related. I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to message me.

Edited by NickMLSA
  • Like 3

On 2/13/2019 at 10:40 PM, icantpoonomore said:

I am a current student at Robson; if any incoming or prospective students have questions, they are welcome to ask me :)

I'm an incoming student currently trying to figure out my financial situation. I'm just wondering how much tuition is including books at Robson?

I've been accepted for September and will be relying on loans to pay tuition. Can anyone offer guidance on whether a professional line of credit or government student aid is better? I know if you apply for bursaries you need to have applied for government aid.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:58 AM, MB425 said:

I'm an incoming student currently trying to figure out my financial situation. I'm just wondering how much tuition is including books at Robson?

They just sent an email saying tuition is $14000. I would think this does not include books.

1 hour ago, lamb said:

They just sent an email saying tuition is $14000. I would think this does not include books.

I think it includes books as well. According to last year's tuition alone, it was $ 11,700 for Law. In the side it breaks down the other fees. Those other fees add up to $ 2,300. When you add them both, you get 14k. The other fees includes Textbooks as well in their breakdown. 

1 hour ago, lamb said:

I've been accepted for September and will be relying on loans to pay tuition. Can anyone offer guidance on whether a professional line of credit or government student aid is better? I know if you apply for bursaries you need to have applied for government aid.

Hey, fellow incoming student!

I think the answer is both! While you’re a student, the government (federal and provincial) student loans won’t accrue any interest, so those are preferred. Even while you’re a student, as soon as you take any money from a Professional Student Line of Credit, it will begin to accrue interest (but depending on the financial institution you use, the interest will just be added to the principal balance so you don’t have to make any payments at least). Once you are out of school for six months and the student loans begin accruing interest and going into repayment (federal loans, MB student loans are interest free as of right now), you would want to pay the balance of the federal student loans with your Professional Student Line of Credit, because it typically has a lower interest rate than the federal student loans. That is my understanding of the process, but I am by no means a financial expert! 

• Like 1

Hello, 

Just booked my interview! Would love to hear what kind of questions you were asked and any tips. 

Thank you.

Yes please. I booked my interview too. Any tips will be appreciated.

Hey there! Can anyone post a winter L1 schedule? I’m wondering how it would look to travel to and from home frequently as opposed to moving to Winnipeg.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kochsnowflake said:

Hey there! Can anyone post a winter L1 schedule? I’m wondering how it would look to travel to and from home frequently as opposed to moving to Winnipeg.

The schedule for the upcoming year isn't out yet, but once it is out they will post it here.

They said they are going to update the website in the coming months, so the link might change then.

• Like 1

Can someone explain this to me like I’m 5? How does the course schedule work for fall term and winter term? Are there certain courses that carry over from fall to winter? Why does the school year have 7 courses and why are they colour coded as section a01, a02 and a03? Any input is appreciated! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kochsnowflake said:

Can someone explain this to me like I’m 5? How does the course schedule work for fall term and winter term? Are there certain courses that carry over from fall to winter? Why does the school year have 7 courses and why are they colour coded as section a01, a02 and a03? Any input is appreciated! 

All 7 courses are mandatory, and all 7 are spanning courses. I.e., you take the same courses both semesters. Your schedule from fall to winter will change, like timings and what day you have which class, but you will take the same classes both semesters.  

Regarding the sections, lets say there are a 100 first year students accepted for the full time enrollment. Those 100 students are divided into three sections. Lets say 33 students in section A01, A02, and A03. The five core classes (Property, Contracts, Torts, Constitutional, and Criminal) are divided based on those three sections. Say, you are in section A01, you will have the same exact 32 classmates for all five of those courses. It is against those same 32 students that you will be graded against on a curve in all five of those classes. This video does a good job at explaining what it means to be graded against a curve.

Good news I guess, you get to pick which section you enroll in. At least, we did last year. The section you pick will determine which professors you get and your cohort.  

The other two courses: Legal Systems, and Legal Methods; these two classes aren't divided into the three sections. Another way to say it is, all three sections take the same exact class for these two classes, and they will have all 100 of the students. Legal Methods is graded on a pass/fail basis. Legal Systems is graded on a curve, but the curve is generous - everyone gets a B basically.

Look at the past year's exam statistics for first year April grades, so you will get a better idea of how the curve works and about the sections.  

Edited by robobrain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, robobrain said:

All 7 courses are mandatory, and all 7 are spanning courses. I.e., you take the same courses both semesters. Your schedule from fall to winter will change, like timings and what day you have which class, but you will take the same classes both semesters.  

Regarding the sections, lets say there are a 100 first year students accepted for the full time enrollment. Those 100 students are divided into three sections. Lets say 33 students in section A01, A02, and A03. The five core classes (Property, Contracts, Torts, Constitutional, and Criminal) are divided based on those three sections. Say, you are in section A01, you will have the same exact 32 classmates for all five of those courses. It is against those same 32 students that you will be graded against on a curve in all five of those classes. This video does a good job at explaining what it means to be graded against a curve.

Good news I guess, you get to pick which section you enroll in. At least, we did last year. The section you pick will determine which professors you get and your cohort.  

The other two courses: Legal Systems, and Legal Methods; these two classes aren't divided into the three sections. Another way to say it is, all three sections take the same exact class for these two classes, and they will have all 100 of the students. Legal Methods is graded on a pass/fail basis. Legal Systems is graded on a curve, but the curve is generous - everyone gets a B basically.

Look at the past year's exam statistics for first year April grades, so you will get a better idea of how the curve works and about the sections.  

Thank you so much. This is such a thorough and easy to understand response.