Thatguy

Ask a current student...

Found this on a discussion board on this site  :http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/38822-gpa-admissions-guide-to-english-common-law-canadian-law-schools/

University of Manitoba Faculty of Law (Cumulative GPA with drops)
GPA Calculation: All graded university degree level credit hours are used. The calculation is adjusted (if applicable) based on the table below:
Number of Applications Number of Credit Hours Completed     Number of Worst Credit Hours Dropped
90 to 101     18
102 to 113     24
114 or more     30

Hi everyone, as I have been perusing the Robson Hall website, I came across course listings.

I noticed that in Legal Methods all assignments are marked pass/fail or marginal and to pass the course you need to pass all the assignments.

My question is, is it likely that you will pass all your assignments? Or are the assignments in legal methods found to be generally difficult?

Hi everyone, as I have been perusing the Robson Hall website, I came across course listings.

I noticed that in Legal Methods all assignments are marked pass/fail or marginal and to pass the course you need to pass all the assignments.

My question is, is it likely that you will pass all your assignments? Or are the assignments in legal methods found to be generally difficult?

As a student currently enrolled in Legal Methods - it is literally the easiest course all year. You basically have to show them that you tried.

I'm pretty sure if you submit a piece of paper with nothing but your student number on it you'll pass. If you use a distinctive font/colour you might even get one of the course writing prizes.

• Like 1

Like the above posters said, and being a 1L this year....the class is literally a joke if you show that you put in work. That being said however, you do learn a lot about what you will be doing once you graduate law school and enter the legal field (drafting legal memo's, case briefing, etc.) and so some of the assignments do take a while to complete (although most of us just usually pulled an all nighter for 7-8 hours the day before its due and hand it in lol) and apparently some of the professors literally tell you what to do for the assignment and essentially hold your hand through how to approach and complete the assignment (i'm looking at you jochelson). But they are not too hard at all and are pretty interesting.

Edited by uofmbound

I'm very interested in the partial-French option that you can do by taking things like Legal Methods in French (in part because I want to improve, in part I think because French speakers across Canada should have access to lawyers, in part because it seems safest to experiment in a Pass/Fail course) - do you know anyone doing this, and can comment on the difference? Is the drafting, and the briefing, all exactly the same just in a different language? Or would there be any downside (if it's covering issues that fundamental) in doing it in the language that we won't spend most of our time practicing in?

Like the above posters said, and being a 1L this year....the class is literally a joke if you show that you put in work. That being said however, you do learn a lot about what you will be doing once you graduate law school and enter the legal field (drafting legal memo's, case briefing, etc.) and so some of the assignments do take a while to complete (although most of us just usually pulled an all nighter for 7-8 hours the day before its due and hand it in lol) and apparently some of the professors literally tell you what to do for the assignment and essentially hold your hand through how to approach and complete the assignment (i'm looking at you jochelson). But they are not too hard at all and are pretty interesting.

Oh dear god, no. Nothing you do in 1L tells you what you will be doing when you graduate... Want to know what you'll be doing when you graduate? Track down a current articling student and ask them.

Fellow 0L lurker here! I'm considering Robson Hall for 2017, and I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the workload like in 1L at Robson Hall? How many hours a day outside of class would you say is expected to study and work on assignments?

2. Which 1L course did you find the most difficult? I've heard that contracts is tough this year, but of course, this is probably different for everyone.

3. How many networking and social events take place for 1L students? Are most of these formal or casual?

I'm sure I'll have more questions come up, but if anyone can provide insight on the above, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Current 2L.

1) I was putting in a couple of hours per class outside of regular classroom time. This is going to vary depending on how necessary the readings are for any given class.

2) It depends if the difficulty is flowing from the material or the professor. If it was the former then probably constitutional I guess? If the latter then the negligence half of torts.

3) Without thinking on it too hard (and I believe there are more this year compared to my 1L year) I would say there was about 6-8?

• Like 1

Current 2L.

1) I was putting in a couple of hours per class outside of regular classroom time. This is going to vary depending on how necessary the readings are for any given class.

2) It depends if the difficulty is flowing from the material or the professor. If it was the former then probably constitutional I guess? If the latter then the negligence half of torts.

3) Without thinking on it too hard (and I believe there are more this year compared to my 1L year) I would say there was about 6-8?

Oh dear god, no. Nothing you do in 1L tells you what you will be doing when you graduate... Want to know what you'll be doing when you graduate? Track down a current articling student and ask them.

I never really intended to say that legal methods is what being a lawyer is all about lol....I more so intended to say that despite it being a joke class...the assignments in it are similar to what you will do when you article at a firm as per what we've been told. Not only did the professors tell us that, but the u of m has a mentor/1L thing where if you sign up for it, you can get mentored with a lawyer in the city (depending on preference such as if you are interested in criminal, you'll get a criminal lawyer...if you want corporate, you'll get a corporate lawyer, etc.) I would assume quite a few of the mentors at the larger firms (TDS, aikins, etc) who are recent graduates and are now first or second year associates and have also said the same thing in respect to drafting memos, case briefing, etc. during their articling years.

However, yes the class itself is nowhere near what will be your articling year will be like

I never really intended to say that legal methods is what being a lawyer is all about lol....I more so intended to say that despite it being a joke class...the assignments in it are similar to what you will do when you article at a firm as per what we've been told. Not only did the professors tell us that, but the u of m has a mentor/1L thing where if you sign up for it, you can get mentored with a lawyer in the city (depending on preference such as if you are interested in criminal, you'll get a criminal lawyer...if you want corporate, you'll get a corporate lawyer, etc.) I would assume quite a few of the mentors at the larger firms (TDS, aikins, etc) who are recent graduates and are now first or second year associates and have also said the same thing in respect to drafting memos, case briefing, etc. during their articling years.

However, yes the class itself is nowhere near what will be your articling year will be like

Unless they've changed the assignments since I did methods (quite possible, as it's been a few years), any comparison only goes about as far as "you're writing a document now, and you'll be writing documents while articling. Also, you'll be wearing shoes both times." Somewhat broad and not entirely helpful. Hope it's better for you.

The mentor program is great, but somewhat hit or miss depending on who you get. I got matched up with someone who is a super nice guy, but who practices in an area of law I not only have no interest in, but actively dislike. So, not so helpful for me. C'est la vie.

Any recommendations for which banks and reps to visit in Winnipeg regarding PSLOC? A couple of people have said that prime +x% sometimes depends on the area on Canada. What has the experience in Winnipeg been like?

Any recommendations for which banks and reps to visit in Winnipeg regarding PSLOC? A couple of people have said that prime +x% sometimes depends on the area on Canada. What has the experience in Winnipeg been like?

TD bank offers @ prime (no +% or so I was quoted I don't know how "set in stone" this is) to law students. I haven't been to any of the others. From a cursory perusal of the other banks' websites it seems that for the most part the loan features are all very similar. 

Edited by WpgJD
  • Like 1

Scotia. Best program out there.

• Like 1

Scotia. Best program out there.

Anyone you would recommend from Scotia to meet with? Another member posted a link to contact information for specific advisors familiar with law in each city, but the email bounced back for the Winnipeg advisor. I'm really hoping to get prime.

Edited by ElevenUnderwood

Do you get grades for first semester? Like an unofficial transcript to apply for 1L summer jobs? The course descriptions are all year long classes with the overall grade based on exams/assignments over both terms. 

Anyone you would recommend from Scotia to meet with? Another member posted a link to contact information for specific advisors familiar with law in each city, but the email bounced back for the Winnipeg advisor. I'm really hoping to get prime.

PM inbound.