UofC Admissions

Submitting Your Application

I hope everyone is doing well!

We have received a lot of questions about how COVID-19 will affect the admissions process - both current and future - so we have put together a list of Q&As, which can be found on our website. Events are still unfolding, so we do not necessarily have answers to all of the questions right now, but we will update the Q&As when we have those answers.

The Fall 2020 application cycle continues on, though we are working remotely. Our goal has always been to complete our assessments and send all applicants either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification by the end of June. At this time, our progress in assessing applications is in-line with previous years. If this should change, we will update our COVID-19 info page.

Stay safe out there and remember that we are all in this together...just a bit further apart. 

-Malina

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a couple of things to update today:

Assessments & Decisions

We’ve been working really hard at prepping files and assessing applications. We know that this is a very stressful process at the best of times and this is, quite frankly, not the best of times. As I’ve mentioned before, our goal each year is to get all decisions (offer, regrets, and waitlist notifications) out by the end of June. We usually complete this by mid-May. 

We are just a teeny-tiny bit behind where we normally are at this point, but I think we will still beat our end-of-June goal, barring any new unforeseen circumstances. There is a light at the end of this tunnel! 

Fall 2020 Update

We received an update from the President and Vice-Chancellor of the university late yesterday afternoon. Classes at UCalgary as a whole will be mostly online, with an aim to have 30% of students on each of our university's campuses at any one time. 

We don’t yet know what this means for our faculty, but now that we've received this update, we faculties can begin to make recommendations on which classes may best reflect this approach. As soon as we have more info, we will add it to our faculty's COVID-19 Q&A page.

I hope you all have a lovely long weekend! 🌷

Malina 

• Like 5

Assessments Complete

I am happy to say that we have completed all of our assessments for first-year admissions - only two weeks later than normal, and still over a month before our official end-of-June goal! The final remaining decisions were sent out today.

This means that all first-year applicants should have received an email with either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification. If you do not think you received your decision email, please check your spam folder, or your UCalgary email inbox if you are currently/were previously a student at UCalgary. If you still cannot find your decision email, please send an email to [email protected] and we can resend it to you.

Awards Application

Just a reminder that the awards application deadline was extended from May 1 to June 1 this year, in case of any complications from COVID-19. All admitted and waitlisted applicants are encouraged to apply for awards. The awards application can be found in your Student Centre. Any awards application questions should be directed to the Student Awards and Financial Aid office at [email protected] 

Fall Term Courses

I can also confirm that all classes for first-year students will be online for the Fall 2020 term. A letter from Dean Ian Holloway was sent to all admitted first-year students on Monday, and our Faculty of Law COVID-19 Q&A page was updated yesterday. 

We know that you still have many questions about what to expect in Fall 2020 and Winter 2021; we have them too. Please know that we will continue to provide answers as we get them, so we can all move forward together.

Our main university COVID-19 Response page can also be found here.

Stay safe out there!

Malina

• Like 2

Hot off the presses!

We have added some updates to our COVID-19 Q&A page.

Our COVID-19 GPA policy for Winter 2020 is:
In response to the wide-spread variation in grading policy at academic institutions in response to COVID-19 in the Winter 2020 semester, we will discount any Credit/No Credit or grades of D+ or under in the GPA calculation based on an applicant’s last 20 half courses. This means the GPA calculation may be based on between 15 and 20 half courses depending on the individual applicant’s Winter 2020 transcript.

This change is intended to be as fair as possible to students who did receive grades to be able to use them towards their GPA calculation and those students who did not receive grades either by choice or institutional policy.

We also added the following update for international applicants who must provide proof of English Language Proficiency:
We are aware that COVID-19 is currently impacting access to English tests such as
TOEFL or IELTS, so we will also be accepting the Duolingo English Test for the Fall 2021 application cycle. A score of 115 is needed to meet our English Language Proficiency requirement.

We have also changed some supporting document requirements in response to challenges caused by COVID-19, to ensure that assessment timelines are not negatively impacted:

• References will no longer be used for first-year applications, but will continue to be used for upper-year applications.
  • We will now be using unofficial transcripts for our assessments, and only admitted/waitlisted applicants will be required to provide official transcripts. This applies to both first-year and upper-year applicants.

Full details on the updated transcript requirements, as well as Unofficial Transcript FAQs and Official Transcript FAQs can be found on our How to Apply page.

Have a great night!

Malina

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UofC Admissions said:

Our COVID-19 GPA policy for Winter 2020 is:
In response to the wide-spread variation in grading policy at academic institutions in response to COVID-19 in the Winter 2020 semester, we will discount any Credit/No Credit or grades of D+ or under in the GPA calculation based on an applicant’s last 20 half courses. This means the GPA calculation may be based on between 15 and 20 half courses depending on the individual applicant’s Winter 2020 transcript.

Hi Malina; thank you for providing us with the updates :) It's much appreciated.

To clarify, would this mean that although the course(s) for the Winter 2020 semester that received the Credit/No Credit/D+ or under grades will not be counted into the GPA for admissions purposes, it would still count as a course for the evaluation of the Last 20 half courses?

If I count all of the half - courses I have taken (and will take for the upcoming semester) since Winter 2020,  it would come up to being 20 half - courses on the dot. However, I elected to have the grades for one of my courses for Winter 2020 semester to be "Credit received" instead of a letter grade. Would this mean that the admissions will discount this course and go further into my Fall 2019 semester because I would only have 19 half - courses, or would admissions discount this one course and stop at my Winter 2020 semester (even though I only have 19 half - courses)?

Edited by Thrive92

14 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

To clarify, would this mean that although the course(s) for the Winter 2020 semester that received the Credit/No Credit/D+ or under grades will not be counted into the GPA for admissions purposes, it would still count as a course for the evaluation of the Last 20 half courses?

We will count all of the courses in the Winter 2020 semester to identify the last 20 half-courses, but grades of D+ (or equivalent) and below, and credit/no credit from that term will not be used in the GPA. This means you may have fewer than 20 grades (half-courses) actually used in the GPA calculation, depending on your individual circumstances for that term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UofC Admissions said:

We will count all of the courses in the Winter 2020 semester to identify the last 20 half-courses, but grades of D+ (or equivalent) and below, and credit/no credit from that term will not be used in the GPA. This means you may have fewer than 20 grades (half-courses) actually used in the GPA calculation, depending on your individual circumstances for that term.

Thank you for the clarification :) Woo this is great! It plays into my favor for a higher GPA

14 hours ago, UofC Admissions said:

Hi Malina, 

Firstly, thank you and your admissions team for implementing such a fair gpa calculation process for the upcoming cycle all things considered. Just a quick question, so if the last 20 half-courses includes a half "CREDIT" course in the Winter 2020 semester, does that mean it suffices as part of the count for 20 half-courses but just will not be included in the numerical GPA calculation? (therefore the last 20  half-courses gpa would just be calculated using the remaining 19 numerical, above D+, half-courses of the last 20 half-courses?) 

On 8/8/2020 at 1:17 AM, lwyrup2021 said:

Hi Malina, 

Firstly, thank you and your admissions team for implementing such a fair gpa calculation process for the upcoming cycle all things considered. Just a quick question, so if the last 20 half-courses includes a half "CREDIT" course in the Winter 2020 semester, does that mean it suffices as part of the count for 20 half-courses but just will not be included in the numerical GPA calculation? (therefore the last 20  half-courses gpa would just be calculated using the remaining 19 numerical, above D+, half-courses of the last 20 half-courses?) 

Yes, that is correct!

Malina

On 8/6/2020 at 3:39 PM, UofC Admissions said:

We have also changed some supporting document requirements in response to challenges caused by COVID-19, to ensure that assessment timelines are not negatively impacted:

• References will no longer be used for first-year applications, but will continue to be used for upper-year applications.
  • We will now be using unofficial transcripts for our assessments, and only admitted/waitlisted applicants will be required to provide official transcripts. This applies to both first-year and upper-year applicants.

Full details on the updated transcript requirements, as well as Unofficial Transcript FAQs and Official Transcript FAQs can be found on our How to Apply page.

Have a great night!

Malina

Hi Malina! Thanks for this update. I am interested in applying for 2021 First year entry. On the note of references, I had noted in my personal spreadsheet (not sure when I grabbed that information) that previously it was 2 academic references required for first-year. Assuming this is the case for the regular category, is this also the case for the Indigenous category? I ask this because there are some other schools where regular candidates do not need references but Indigenous do, so I thought I would clarify. (As an aside, if my references [I guess accidentally] send in a reference letter, will it simply not be considered?) Thanks in advance! :) 

1 hour ago, castlepie said:

Hi Malina! Thanks for this update. I am interested in applying for 2021 First year entry. On the note of references, I had noted in my personal spreadsheet (not sure when I grabbed that information) that previously it was 2 academic references required for first-year. Assuming this is the case for the regular category, is this also the case for the Indigenous category? I ask this because there are some other schools where regular candidates do not need references but Indigenous do, so I thought I would clarify. (As an aside, if my references [I guess accidentally] send in a reference letter, will it simply not be considered?) Thanks in advance! :) 

Oops, I meant to say "Assuming this is the case [that references are no longer required], is it also no longer the case for Indigenous students? I'm assuming it's no longer required for all categories since there is no specification but thought I'd check.

Edited by castlepie

1 hour ago, castlepie said:

Yeah ive been wondering about this as well; since there is no info about references on the admissions website, I figured that references are no longer required for U of C law? However I see the "accepted 2020" thread and many of them say that they have strong references.

Just now, Thrive92 said:

Yeah ive been wondering about this as well; since there is no info about references on the admissions website, I figured that references are no longer required for U of C law? However I see the "accepted 2020" thread and many of them say that they have strong references.

I'm assuming that's because it was introduced recently (Aug 2020?) so would have no bearing on 2020 entries.

And yes, there was no mention that I could find anymore of references on the website, whether it's in or out, hence my question about Indigenous specific category (although I'm inclined to believe there's no references for that category either). I feel like as recently as 1 or 2 weeks ago I found info that said "2 references" but I'm assuming that's out the window now.

Just now, castlepie said:

I'm assuming that's because it was introduced recently (Aug 2020?) so would have no bearing on 2020 entries.

Oh i see, so it is a really new policy that is going to affect the 2021 entries and not the ones before :) thank you for the clarification

On 8/6/2020 at 3:39 PM, UofC Admissions said:

Hot off the presses!

2 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

Oh i see, so it is a really new policy that is going to affect the 2021 entries and not the ones before :) thank you for the clarification

I only assume this because this was announced by Malina on August 6, 2020 (see above), otherwise I'm sure we would have found something about it before. I have no confirmation one way or another other than Malina's post. I'm sure she'll come back for us!

The changes are as of the Fall 2021 application cycle. We updated our website as soon as we had the final go-ahead, and I posted the news here as soon as the new info was live on our website. (My last post really was hot off the presses! :))

We were very fortunate that the supporting document deadline for the Fall 2020 application cycle was two weeks before we started working remotely in March. The Fall 2021 cycle will be a whole different ballgame.

We will not be using references for any first-year applicants, which includes Indigenous applicants. It was a difficult decision, and not made lightly; however, it ultimately became clear that it was the best thing we could do in support of our applicants with so many unknowns in the coming year, including when we will return to the office.

To help lessen the burden on your referees, please ensure that you let them know not to send a reference to UCalgary, especially if you have already spoken with them. They are the ones who will likely be frustrated by learning they spent time on a reference that can't be used after sending it to us. If anything, I am willing to bet that you'll discover your referees will be somewhat relieved to find out that they have one less reference form to fill out, since they probably have more on their plate than normal this year.

Cheers!

Malina

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Malina,

I submitted my application for the Fall 2021 and my application status still says "Sufficient documents not yet received".  I am not sure what else I have to do as my LSAT scores are submitted and received, I am a former UCalgary student, so my transcript should automatically downloaded, there are no references this year and my "To Do" list says nothing. Is this just normal and I just have to be patient for it to update? I am just worried because it says my application won't be reviewed until they receive everything. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JenniferGeorge said:

Hi Malina,

I submitted my application for the Fall 2021 and my application status still says "Sufficient documents not yet received".  I am not sure what else I have to do as my LSAT scores are submitted and received, I am a former UCalgary student, so my transcript should automatically downloaded, there are no references this year and my "To Do" list says nothing. Is this just normal and I just have to be patient for it to update? I am just worried because it says my application won't be reviewed until they receive everything. 

in the same boat! transcripts uploaded and LSAT score retrieved. Same "Sufficient documents not yet received" message. 

I apologize in advance that this post is so long!

Unofficial Transcripts & To Do Lists
Just a reminder that we are assessing application using unofficial transcript this cycle. We only want official transcripts from applicants who have been admitted/waitlisted. Please do not send an official transcript unless we have requested that you send one!

We have discovered that a lot of applicants are uploading unusable documents as their unofficial transcripts. Unofficial transcripts must show the same information that would be on an official transcript, including: your name; the institution name; the date it was printed/downloaded; grades; credits obtained; any transfer credits received; and confirmation of any academic credentials that have been granted, including the date conferred. We have added extra info to our Unofficial Transcripts FAQs based on what we've been seeing.

If the document you uploaded is not usable, we will add it back to your To Do List, along with a note explaining the reason why, which you can see by clicking on the unofficial transcript To Do List item. Please ensure that you check your To Do List every so often, even after you believe your application is complete.

Note: the explanation we add to the To Do List item will also appear on the unofficial transcript status in the Application Status section of your Student Centre. It will continue to appear there even after you re-upload your unofficial transcript. Please don't worry about this!

Current Students
Please, please, please don't upload the transcript for your current institution until after January 1, 2021! A lot of the unusable documents are from current students who uploaded too early.

LSATs
We requested LSAT reports from LSAC last week for those who applied by/on November 1 and do not have an upcoming rewrite. Reports are released to us only after they have a writing sample, which means they are released at irregular times. We're going to be checking once a week for newly released reports, so if your report is released after we last checked, we'll catch it the next time.

Application Status

On 11/7/2020 at 3:25 PM, JenniferGeorge said:

On 11/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, Norms said:

in the same boat! transcripts uploaded and LSAT score retrieved. Same "Sufficient documents not yet received" message. 

We became aware late last week, after we began entering LSAT scores, that the wording in the Application Status doesn't seem to be updating from "has not received sufficient supporting documents" to "has received sufficient supporting documents" for completed applications. This normally updates overnight, after the last item comes off your To Do List. I have submitted a ticket to IT to have this fixed.

In the meantime, please continue to use your To Do List to judge whether your application is complete. (And continue to check in case we add an unofficial transcript back onto your To Do List.)

Thank you for reading all of that! :)

Malina

• Like 5

On 11/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, UofC Admissions said:

We became aware late last week, after we began entering LSAT scores, that the wording in the Application Status doesn't seem to be updating from "has not received sufficient supporting documents" to "has received sufficient supporting documents" for completed applications. This normally updates overnight, after the last item comes off your To Do List. I have submitted a ticket to IT to have this fixed.

In the meantime, please continue to use your To Do List to judge whether your application is complete. (And continue to check in case we add an unofficial transcript back onto your To Do List.)

I am happy to report that this has been fixed! :)

The application status wording will now update normally: overnight, after the last supporting document comes off your To Do List.

Malina

• Like 2