UofC Admissions

Submitting Your Application

Thanks for the information, Malina, and I hope your summer was awesome as well!

I have a few questions for you, though:

1. Say I was to apply as soon as the applications opened (September 1st) and my transcripts are ready to be sent to UofC (i.e., I'm done undergrad, so you guys wouldn't have to wait for any of my grades to be completed), and my application was complete by the time the September LSAT scores are released, what is the earliest point in time that I could be accepted? This is all assuming my stats, PS, etc., are up to standard.

2. Does an application submitted earlier increase one's chances of being admitted? I.e., rolling admissions.

3. How much weighting does the Statement of Interest hold in the whole scope of things relevant to admissions?

4. Assuming there is a definite weighting of application components, how much weighting does everything else with regards to the application hold?

Thank you!

1. I think last year, there were a few people accepted in December/January. You can look through past acceptances threads to gauge for yourself.

2. Until your file is complete, it won't be reviewed so it is certainly in your interest to submit it as soon as possible. Although if you are a little bit late filing all the appropriate components it's shouldn't be that detrimental to your changes. It took me mid/late Jan to get my referenceletters in, and I was accepted a week later.

3. Just write the best statement you can! UofC is known to have a more holistic process, so it will definitely carry a decent weight for your application.

4. I'll leave that to someone who knows better than me.

Good Luck!

1. I think last year, there were a few people accepted in December/January. You can look through past acceptances threads to gauge for yourself.

2. Until your file is complete, it won't be reviewed so it is certainly in your interest to submit it as soon as possible. Although if you are a little bit late filing all the appropriate components it's shouldn't be that detrimental to your changes. It took me mid/late Jan to get my referenceletters in, and I was accepted a week later.

3. Just write the best statement you can! UofC is known to have a more holistic process, so it will definitely carry a decent weight for your application.

4. I'll leave that to someone who knows better than me.

Good Luck!

Thank you!

Good morning!

Now that November 1st has passed, we are working on printing applications and labels to make application files. Once we get that done, we can start on adding transcripts and and LSAT reports to the files and entering them into the system as received. Just as in previous years, we've received over 1000 applications, so this is going to take us a bit of time to complete. We thank you in advance for your patience! :)

If you indicated the December LSAT in your application, we will wait until January to pull your LSAT score, so they LSAT will remain on your To Do List until then.

If you are a current undergrad or grad student, please do not send your transcript for your current institution until January. Since we cannot add it to your application without your fall term results, it won't help move your application along to send one before then.

Extended Deadline

We've heard from some applicants who had technical difficulties in submitting their application, so we have decided to extend the application deadline to November 28, 2016. This date has been chosen because there are some planned campus-wide system upgrades that are scheduled for November, so there will be some times where the system will be down. We have posted these times on our JD Admissions page, and will keep it updated.

Please ensure you save your progress before the system goes down for maintenance or your progress will be lost when the maintenance begins.

Since IT has informed us that these planned outages are system-wide, this means that the My UCalgary portal (formerly called the myUofC portal), Student Centre, and the online reference forms will also be down during these dates and times, so I recommend that all applicants take note of the dates and times.

Cheers!

-Malina

Good morning!

Now that November 1st has passed, we are working on printing applications and labels to make application files. Once we get that done, we can start on adding transcripts and and LSAT reports to the files and entering them into the system as received. Just as in previous years, we've received over 1000 applications, so this is going to take us a bit of time to complete. We thank you in advance for your patience! :)

If you indicated the December LSAT in your application, we will wait until January to pull your LSAT score, so they LSAT will remain on your To Do List until then.

If you are a current undergrad or grad student, please do not send your transcript for your current institution until January. Since we cannot add it to your application without your fall term results, it won't help move your application along to send one before then.

Extended Deadline

We've heard from some applicants who had technical difficulties in submitting their application, so we have decided to extend the application deadline to November 28, 2016. This date has been chosen because there are some planned campus-wide system upgrades that are scheduled for November, so there will be some times where the system will be down. We have posted these times on our JD Admissions page, and will keep it updated.

Please ensure you save your progress before the system goes down for maintenance or your progress will be lost when the maintenance begins.

Since IT has informed us that these planned outages are system-wide, this means that the My UCalgary portal (formerly called the myUofC portal), Student Centre, and the online reference forms will also be down during these dates and times, so I recommend that all applicants take note of the dates and times.

Cheers!

-Malina

About this, I'm currently an undergraduate student, but I'm not enrolled in classes this semester, but rather I'm taking my final 5 courses next winter. I should still send my transcript now, right?

It’s update time! :)

In an effort to try to not be too repetitive, please see my first post in this thread for more info about what’s going on behind the scenes, and this post for info about package tracking and our form of rolling admissions.

I am happy to report that all transcripts that we received up to the end of last week, and LSAT scores for those who did not indicate the December 2016 LSAT have all been matched to application files and entered as “received.” If you indicated the December 2016 LSAT in your application, the LSAT will be on your To Do List until mid-January, which is when we anticipate receiving the December LSAT score reports. We are continuing to enter the transcripts we receive on a daily basis, but please note that we are continuing to receive a very high volume of mail, so we thank you for your patience.

References

As many of you have noted on our website, we ask that applicants wait until December 1st before sending requests to resend referee emails or change referees. I see a lot of questions about this popping up, so I just wanted to give a bit more info about the reasons we do this:

1. Since it can take up to two weeks after you submit your application for the referee emails to auto-generate, referees may potentially receive multiple emails if we start manually resending them too soon, and we don't want to frustrate or confuse your referees with multiple emails. (See my first post in this thread for info about the reason why it may take up to two weeks.)

2. There are a lot of transcripts and LSAT scores that need to be matched to application files and manually entered into the system as “received” in November. Our goal is to do this as quickly as possible, because we know that everyone is anxiously awaiting confirmation that we have received their transcripts and LSAT scores.

Now that we have gotten all of the transcripts and LSAT scores matched and entered, we are now opening up the ability to request resending of referee emails or to change a referee by sending an email to [email protected] Please see our JD Admissions page for full details on what info is needed to request a referee change: http://law.ucalgary.ca/jdadmissions. Please keep in mind that we are in a time of peak volume, so we thank you for your patience in advance!

About this, I'm currently an undergraduate student, but I'm not enrolled in classes this semester, but rather I'm taking my final 5 courses next winter. I should still send my transcript now, right?

I apologize that it has taken me so long to respond to your question - I have just come out of my transcript/LSAT data entry hibernation. The short answer is please wait until January before sending your transcript. A lot of applicants have similar questions, so I am including a whole section on this below.

Current Undergrad and Grad Students - Transcripts

Please note that current undergrad and grad students must wait until January, once your fall grades are finalized, before sending a transcript for your current institution.

A lot of current undergrad and grad students ask about circumstances such as being registered in full-year courses, working on their theses, taking part in a co-op, only being registered in credit/no credit courses, etc. We consider all work completed up until the end of December, and transcripts that are sent too early may not include information we may need to take into consideration; students may add courses, withdraw, or their academic standing may change, for example. This is why we still ask all current undergrad and grad students to wait until the fall term is finalized before sending transcripts for their current institution.

We have received many transcripts from current undergrad and grad students. If you already sent your transcript for your current institution, please resend it after your fall term results are finalized.

Please do not worry about rolling admissions if you are a current student or are writing the December 2016 LSAT! We know to expect that many applicants will be either writing the December LSAT or need to send in transcripts in January, so we plan for this every year.

Cheers!

Malina

• Like 1

This will be my final update in 2016!

Holiday Hours

The campus will close at noon on December 23 for the holidays, and will reopen on January 2, 2017.

December LSAT Scores & Transcripts

We anticipate receiving the December LSAT scores mid-January, and will be working as quickly as we can to get them all entered and removed from your To Do Lists. 

Current undergrad and grad students can begin sending in transcripts for their current institution in January, as soon as their fall grades are finalized.

Please keep in mind that between all of the transcripts and December LSATs that arrive in January, we’re doing a lot of data entry, so we thank you in advance for your patience!

Network Outage

IT has informed us that there will be a planned network outage on Thursday, December 29, 2016 from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for system updates. This includes a majority of campus-wide IT services, including the My UCalgary (myUofC) portal, Student Centre, and the online reference forms.

I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas, and a happy New Year! :)

-Malina

The March 1st deadline is quickly approaching...are all of your supporting documents submitted?

This means:

• Transcripts must be postmarked no later than March 1st
  • Referees have until 11:59 pm MST on March 1st to submit their online reference form

I recommend that all applicants check their To Do List in their Student Centre, just in case! It is ultimately your responsibility to ensure your application is complete.

As a courtesy, we sent new emails on February 1st to all of the referees who have not yet completed their online reference form. I would recommend that you follow up with your referee(s) if they haven't submitted it. If they are no longer able to act as a referee, you may request to change your referee. The March 1st deadline will still apply to the new referee, so please contact us ASAP if you do need to change referees. (Though I really do recommend getting in touch with your referee before requesting a change, because they may very well still intend to submit their reference, and informing your former referee that they are no longer a referee. We inevitably end up receiving many emails from former referees, wondering why their link no longer works because they do not know that they are no longer a referee.)

Cheers!

Malina

Edited to add the date to the referee deadline info.

Edited by UofC Admissions

Today is the supporting document deadline for Fall 2017 admissions! Please check your To Do List in your Student Centre to see if there is anything that remains outstanding for your supporting documents!

Referees will have until 11:59 pm MST to submit their online reference form.

Transcripts may still be sent, but must be postmarked today.

Cheers!

-Malina

All applicants for the Fall 2017 cycle have now been sent either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification. Our goal was the end of June, so we have beat our goal!

If you don't think you've received your notification, please double-check both your inbox and junk mail folders. Offers and regrets are also reflected in your Student Centre; however, waitlisted applications will still have a green circle next to their application status. If you are still unable to find your notification, please contact us at [email protected]

There are often changes throughout the summer, so waitlisted applications will continued to be considered for admission. We understand that being on the waitlist brings with it a sense of uncertainty, especially as the term draws nearer. Please know that if it becomes apparent that a decision can be made on your application at any point, we will let you know right away.

For those of you who are here to plan for a future application, our online application for Fall 2018 will open on September 1, 2017.

Cheers!

Malina

• Like 1

On 8/14/2015 at 2:33 PM, UofC Admissions said:

Hey everyone,

Now, while there are several digital elements to the process (such as an online application form, checking your supporting document status in your Student Centre, and online reference submission), there is actually a very large human element to the processing and assessment of applications, completed by a small, dedicated team of Student Services staff.

-Malina

Malina, thanks for all the useful posts over the years. I just sent my application in. I've been following your posts on and off for over a year now. 

One thing I can't figure out is how to access this "student centre" you speak of lol. I tried logging into the MYUofC area of the site, but that's reserved for students and staff. I sent my application in, paid for it and received a receipt. I've been trying to figure out if there's a portal that I can access, but there doesn't seem to be anything. 

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Abii said:

Malina, thanks for all the useful posts over the years. I just sent my application in. I've been following your posts on and off for over a year now. 

One thing I can't figure out is how to access this "student centre" you speak of lol. I tried logging into the MYUofC area of the site, but that's reserved for students and staff. I sent my application in, paid for it and received a receipt. I've been trying to figure out if there's a portal that I can access, but there doesn't seem to be anything. 

Thanks.

You're welcome!

When you get your confirmation email, it will include your UCID number and instructions on linking it to your eID. It usually takes about half an hour after linking the two before you can access the Student Centre.

The confirmation email doesn't necessarily show up immediately after submitting, since we may have to manually match and release your application. We officially say it can take up to two weeks, but it is usually within a few days.

-Malina

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UofC Admissions said:

You're welcome!

When you get your confirmation email, it will include your UCID number and instructions on linking it to your eID. It usually takes about half an hour after linking the two before you can access the Student Centre.

The confirmation email doesn't necessarily show up immediately after submitting, since we may have to manually match and release your application. We officially say it can take up to two weeks, but it is usually within a few days.

-Malina

Perfect. Thanks for the information. 

The application deadline is tomorrow! Applications close right at 11:59 pm MDT on November 1st.

Every year, we receive a lot of emails just after midnight, from people who had issues submitting at the last minute, due to many reasons, such as:

• technical difficulties with their computer
  • the time it takes to process your credit card for the application fee payment
  • forgetting that our deadline is MDT

You have all spent so much time putting together your best application, that it would be a shame to miss the deadline by trying to submit at the last minute, so please plan to submit your application well in advance of that 11:59 deadline!

-Malina

Thought I'd give you guys an update on where we're at right now:

We've finished making applications files, and have the non-December LSAT reports and all of the transcripts we've received to-date sorted and filed. We're now working on entering these things as 'received' in the system, which means some people will start to see things come off their To Do Lists tonight.

Please don't worry if you see others start to post that their stuff has been entered as 'received' if yours hasn't! There's a lot of stuff to enter, and just a few of us, so it will take us a bit of time get through them all. Thank you for your patience! :) 

Cheers!

-Malina

• Like 5

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads-up that our IT department has scheduled a system upgrade for this weekend. This means that the My UCalgary portal, Student Centre, and the Online Reference Form will be unavailable during the following times: 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 10 until 11:59 p.m. on Monday, November 13.

If any of your referees contact you because they tried to submit their reference over the weekend, please let them know that they will be able to access the Online Reference Form on Tuesday, November 14.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Cheers!

Malina

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2017 at 6:21 PM, UofC Admissions said:

Thought I'd give you guys an update on where we're at right now:

We've finished making applications files, and have the non-December LSAT reports and all of the transcripts we've received to-date sorted and filed. We're now working on entering these things as 'received' in the system, which means some people will start to see things come off their To Do Lists tonight.

Please don't worry if you see others start to post that their stuff has been entered as 'received' if yours hasn't! There's a lot of stuff to enter, and just a few of us, so it will take us a bit of time get through them all. Thank you for your patience! :) 

Cheers!

-Malina

Hi Malina: 

I am currently in my undergrad and I should have my fall 2017 grades by early January 2018. Should I request my school to send the immediate transcript with grades prior to fall 2017 to UofC or should I wait for my fall grades before sending the transcript?

Thank you for your help! :) 

Edited by goals101

Everything we've received so far has been added and updated! We will continue adding transcripts as we receive them. 

We received a lot of transcripts for current institutions that could not be added to application files. If you are a current student, please do not send a transcript for your current school until January. It won't help your application move along by sending one early, so please save yourself the postage!

For those who indicated they are writing/rewriting the LSAT in December, the LSAT will still appear on To Do Lists until we receive and enter the scores mid-January. We'll request the reports directly from LSAC.

From here on out, you'll start seeing more and more posts about files becoming complete (the green circle) and others receiving decisions on their applications. Please don't let this get to you and cause you to worry about your own application. Most applications will become complete in the new year, after we receive December LSATs and Fall transcripts. We know to expect this every year, so please do not worry.

There is absolutely no pattern or typical length of time it takes to receive a decision notification after you get a green circle: some people will seemingly receive a notification very quickly, and others may wait much longer. Remember: this is a marathon, not a sprint, and everyone is going to make it to the finish line (i.e. receiving a decision) at their own pace. Every applicant will receive either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification by the end of June.

We're in this for the long haul, so get out there and do all those amazing things you enjoy doing, and keep in touch with your friends and family. Definitely check your Student Centre once in a while to make sure you're updated on your To Do List progress, but I recommend trying to not check it excessively.

Have a great weekend! :) 

Malina

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, UofC Admissions said:

Everything we've received so far has been added and updated! We will continue adding transcripts as we receive them. 

We received a lot of transcripts for current institutions that could not be added to application files. If you are a current student, please do not send a transcript for your current school until January. It won't help your application move along by sending one early, so please save yourself the postage!

For those who indicated they are writing/rewriting the LSAT in December, the LSAT will still appear on To Do Lists until we receive and enter the scores mid-January. We'll request the reports directly from LSAC.

From here on out, you'll start seeing more and more posts about files becoming complete (the green circle) and others receiving decisions on their applications. Please don't let this get to you and cause you to worry about your own application. Most applications will become complete in the new year, after we receive December LSATs and Fall transcripts. We know to expect this every year, so please do not worry.

There is absolutely no pattern or typical length of time it takes to receive a decision notification after you get a green circle: some people will seemingly receive a notification very quickly, and others may wait much longer. Remember: this is a marathon, not a sprint, and everyone is going to make it to the finish line (i.e. receiving a decision) at their own pace. Every applicant will receive either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification by the end of June.

We're in this for the long haul, so get out there and do all those amazing things you enjoy doing, and keep in touch with your friends and family. Definitely check your Student Centre once in a while to make sure you're updated on your To Do List progress, but I recommend trying to not check it excessively.

Have a great weekend!  

Malina

Thank you for this incredibly gracious reply, Malina. 

20 hours ago, UofC Admissions said:

Have a great weekend!  

Malina

With respect to decisions, since it's so early are we only accepted/rejected? Or could we possibly still be waitlisted ? My app went completed on the 14th so I'm hoping to hear back soon!