UofC Admissions

Submitting Your Application

On 11/25/2017 at 12:55 PM, Blondlaw said:

With respect to decisions, since it's so early are we only accepted/rejected? Or could we possibly still be waitlisted ? My app went completed on the 14th so I'm hoping to hear back soon!

Yes, it is possible for applicants to be waitlisted this early.

Cheers!

Malina

I can't believe it's time for my last update of 2017 already! 

Our campus will be closing for the holiday break at noon tomorrow, December 22, and will reopen on January 2, 2018.

Since we just found out that the December LSAT scores are available so much sooner this year, we'll be able to get them entered a bit earlier than originally anticipated, and LSATs will start coming off To Do Lists in early January! Why still January? There just isn't enough time to download, print, file, and enter all of the scores before we close for the holidays tomorrow, so we'll do them when we're back from the break and can get them all entered in a similar time frame.

Current students can start sending in transcripts with their fall grades in January, after their fall grades have been posted.

Happy holidays! :) 

-Malina

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year!

I am happy report that the December LSAT scores have all been entered! 

If you wrote the LSAT by the December deadline, the LSAT should no longer appear on the To Do List in your Student Centre. If it does still appear on your To Do List, please send an email to [email protected] to let us know, and we can take a look into it. 

Transcripts with fall grades are also starting to arrive. Please note that we anticipate receiving a lot of transcripts. We will be entering them on an ongoing basis, but with so many arriving, it can take a bit of time to get them entered. We thank you for your patience in advance!

Cheers!

-Malina

50 minutes ago, UofC Admissions said:

Happy New Year!

I am happy report that the December LSAT scores have all been entered! 

If you wrote the LSAT by the December deadline, the LSAT should no longer appear on the To Do List in your Student Centre. If it does still appear on your To Do List, please send an email to [email protected] to let us know, and we can take a look into it. 

Transcripts with fall grades are also starting to arrive. Please note that we anticipate receiving a lot of transcripts. We will be entering them on an ongoing basis, but with so many arriving, it can take a bit of time to get them entered. We thank you for your patience in advance!

Cheers!

-Malina

Thanks for the update, Malina! Just a couple of questions:

-Will we be able to see what the admissions office has calculated our GPA at? If not, would there be a way to find this out?
-What's a normal time frame to hear back with an admissions update after our fall grades are entered?

thanks in advance!

29 minutes ago, kiyak said:

Thanks for the update, Malina! Just a couple of questions:

-Will we be able to see what the admissions office has calculated our GPA at? If not, would there be a way to find this out?
-What's a normal time frame to hear back with an admissions update after our fall grades are entered?

thanks in advance!

I am sorry, but we do not fulfill requests to confirm an applicant's GPA. Applicants who wish to estimate their GPA may do so with the information provided on our JD Admissions page and our FAQs.

There is no typical time frame in which applicants can expect a decision notification after their application becomes complete. Some people may receive a decision notification very quickly, while others may wait much longer. All applicants will receive their decision notification (either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification) by the end of June. That being said, all applicants in the past two application cycles received their decision notification by mid-May; barring unforeseeable circumstances, I don't see why this year would be much different.

Cheers!

-Malina

9 hours ago, UofC Admissions said:

I am sorry, but we do not fulfill requests to confirm an applicant's GPA. Applicants who wish to estimate their GPA may do so with the information provided on our JD Admissions page and our FAQs.

There is no typical time frame in which applicants can expect a decision notification after their application becomes complete. Some people may receive a decision notification very quickly, while others may wait much longer. All applicants will receive their decision notification (either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification) by the end of June. That being said, all applicants in the past two application cycles received their decision notification by mid-May; barring unforeseeable circumstances, I don't see why this year would be much different.

Cheers!

-Malina

The school obviously knows how to run its business better than I, but it seems kind of weird that Calgary isn't trying to match the time-frames more closely with U of A (at the very least). We have until March 31st to accept our U of A offers. That's still a long time away, but from your post that fact seems irrelevant. I could get an answer in May, or tomorrow!! Kind of an odd way of doing it. Why not try to get application answered on a first-come, first-served basis (if it's not happening that way). 

The limbo makes it hard to plan things out for those that are coming from out of province. 

I apologize that it's been so long since my last post!

To everyone who is still waiting: please don't despair! I know you're seeing a lot of people post about getting results of their application, and it probably feels like you're the only one who hasn't heard back yet. There are many applicants who are in the same boat as you; you're just seeing a very small sample size on this site, plus most people are more likely to share good news. 

We are working through all of the applications as quickly as possible, but the vast majority of applications become complete between January and March, and each file requires prep work before it is assessment-ready. In addition to that, it's a very fine line that our wonderful Admissions Committee members walk between assessing quickly so we can give you final decisions as soon as possible, but also ensuring they give the files the proper time and attention they deserve for consideration. 

I also have an announcements to make: our very first LSAT Summer Prep Course (LSPC) is happening this summer, and we are very excited! The LSPC offers free LSAT prep for low-income, high-potential applicants, who otherwise might not be able to access an LSAT prep course. We are accepting applications until April 19, 2018, and there is no application fee. See our website for more info: http://law.ucalgary.ca/admissions/free-LSAT-prep.

Have a great long weekend!

Cheers!

Malina

Thank you so much Malina for the update, the wait/uncertainty has been so tough!  

Keeping my fingers crossed for good news! 

I am happy to announce that we have completed our assessments for Fall 2018, and as of yesterday, all applicants have been sent an email with either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification - well in advance of our 'end of June' goal!

Applicants who received an offer or regrets can also see the results reflected in in their Student Centre. Waitlisted applicants will still see the green circle.

If you can't find your decision notification, send an email to [email protected] and we can resend it to you.

We notified all applicants with an existing UCalgary email address of this back in November, but that was a while ago, so just in case: if you have an existing UCalgary email address, that's where your decision notification email was sent.

To the waitlisted applicants: hang in there - your final decision notification may be sent as late as orientation week. Changes to our first-year class happen throughout the summer; however, there is no way to know when we can make offers to waitlisted applicants until such an opportunity presents itself. Please be assured that we will contact you the moment we know that a decision can be made on your application. 

Have a great summer everyone!

-Malina

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I apologize for the long post, but I have a lot of info to share.

It has been up for a little while now, but I thought I'd officially let you all know that our website has finished going through a major update! :)

Our main website is still law.ucalgary.ca, and admissions info can be found under the Future Students header. Links like IT and My UCalgary portal can be accessed by clicking on the red arrow button in the top-right corner of the site.

For anyone planning on applying for our upcoming application cycles, I recommend checking out our How to Apply page, where you can find information about what to expect in the application process and application requirements.

Here are a few updates for future application cycles:

Starting with the Fall 2019 application cycle, the last LSAT we will consider is the January exam, following the application deadline; however, we recommend writing the LSAT no later than November, since we won't receive the January LSAT scores until late-February. Entrance awards will still be awarded by the end of March, so if you write the January LSAT, your application might not become complete until it is too late for entrance award consideration.

Although LSAC no longer limits the number of times you can write the LSAT, we highly recommend writing it as few times as possible. 

Instead of having two separate admission categories (Ordinary and Re-Applicant), all applicants for first-year studies will now apply under the First-Year applicant category. Applicants who have previously applied in the previous 3 years can still have transcripts pulled forward form their previous application (unless more courses have been taken at that institution) and can still name either two new referees, or one new referee plus one referee who has previously provided a reference.

Our supporting documents deadline for first-year admissions will now be February 15.

TL;DR: See our shiny new website for updates and info. :)

Have a great weekend!

-Malina

Edited by UofC Admissions
Capitalizing the "C" in UCalgary

Happy back to school! :)

Our Fall 2018 admissions cycle has come to a close, and all of the remaining waitlisted applicants have been sent a final decision notification. If you don't think you received an email with your decision notification, please contact us at [email protected] and we can resend it.

And with that, we have officially turned the corner and are now in the Fall 2019 admissions cycle! Online applications are now open on our website. The application deadline is November 1st, and supporting documents due February 15th. See our website for the online application and more info.

For anyone at a Canadian or US law school who is interested in attending UCalgary Law as a Letter of Permission student for Winter 2019: that online application has also opened! The winter LOP application deadline is October 1st, with supporting documents due October 15th. More info can be found on our Upper-Year Admissions page.

-Malina

• Like 2

I submitted my application at the beginning of October and when I check on my status it says " initiated" for my references. I just checked my with my employers and neither has received the link where they can send their letters. Should I just wait? 

On 11/5/2018 at 6:41 PM, fortniteplayer said:

I submitted my application at the beginning of October and when I check on my status it says " initiated" for my references. I just checked my with my employers and neither has received the link where they can send their letters. Should I just wait? 

The emails would have been sent already - "initiated" means the process has been initiated - so I recommend asking your referees to check their junk mail folders. Then, if they still can't find their email, you can send us an email to [email protected] to request the emails to be sent again. Please note that there may be a delay before you hear back from us, since we are now in a peak period.

Now that our application deadline has passed, we are working as quickly as possible to add the transcripts we've received so far, as well as the LSAT scores for those who are not writing the November or January LSAT. We thank you all for your patience!

-Malina

15 hours ago, UofC Admissions said:

The emails would have been sent already - "initiated" means the process has been initiated - so I recommend asking your referees to check their junk mail folders. Then, if they still can't find their email, you can send us an email to [email protected] to request the emails to be sent again. Please note that there may be a delay before you hear back from us, since we are now in a peak period.

Now that our application deadline has passed, we are working as quickly as possible to add the transcripts we've received so far, as well as the LSAT scores for those who are not writing the November or January LSAT. We thank you all for your patience!

-Malina

Thank you for your response! I just checked with my references and they both got it. 

I am happy to say that all of the supporting documents that we have received so far have been entered as received! Hooray! :) This includes LSAT scores for applicants who are not writing the November or January LSAT, and transcripts that have been sent to us so far.

Please note that we did not enter transcripts for institutions that an applicant is currently attending. Current students will need to wait until January before sending a transcript for their current institution.

We will continue to enter transcripts on an ongoing basis as we receive them. Something to keep in mind: even when there are no postal service strikes, it is very normal for transcripts to take a while to arrive by mail. Additionally, all mail (even couriered items) is delivered to our main shipping and receiving department, who sorts and delivers mail across campus, so even though your package tracking may say that the envelope was delivered, that doesn't mean it has made it to us yet.

As of the Fall 2019 admissions cycle, our supporting document deadline is now February 15.

For those writing the November and January LSATs: we will get your LSAT reports in mid-December and mid-February, respectively. Please keep in mind that you will probably receive your scores several days before we have access to them, and it will take us a bit of time to download, print, file, and enter them as received. Again, we thank you for your patience!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Malina

40 minutes ago, UofC Admissions said:

I am happy to say that all of the supporting documents that we have received so far have been entered as received! Hooray! :) This includes LSAT scores for applicants who are not writing the November or January LSAT, and transcripts that have been sent to us so far.

Please note that we did not enter transcripts for institutions that an applicant is currently attending. Current students will need to wait until January before sending a transcript for their current institution.

We will continue to enter transcripts on an ongoing basis as we receive them. Something to keep in mind: even when there are no postal service strikes, it is very normal for transcripts to take a while to arrive by mail. Additionally, all mail (even couriered items) is delivered to our main shipping and receiving department, who sorts and delivers mail across campus, so even though your package tracking may say that the envelope was delivered, that doesn't mean it has made it to us yet.

As of the Fall 2019 admissions cycle, our supporting document deadline is now February 15.

For those writing the November and January LSATs: we will get your LSAT reports in mid-December and mid-February, respectively. Please keep in mind that you will probably receive your scores several days before we have access to them, and it will take us a bit of time to download, print, file, and enter them as received. Again, we thank you for your patience!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Malina

Hi Malina,

Thanks for the update! Does this mean that applicants who currently have courses in progress will have their applications put on hold until the final transcripts are received?