UofC Admissions

Submitting Your Application

Hey everyone,

The old Sending Your Application In thread was originally created with info about the old process, back when paper application forms were mailed in. Since things have changed a bit since then, and the old thread is now 11 pages long, I figured it was time for a new thread so everyone can more quickly locate the most up-to-date information.

Mods: any chance we could get this new thread pinned and the old one locked? Thank you! :)

Behind the Scenes

I’d like to give you an update on what is going on behind the scenes after you submit your application, to help put the process into perspective:

Now, while there are several digital elements to the process (such as an online application form, checking your supporting document status in your Student Centre, and online reference submission), there is actually a very large human element to the processing and assessment of applications, completed by a small, dedicated team of Student Services staff.

If you have previously applied to UCalgary (to any program, not just law!) or if your name is similar to someone else who has ever applied to UCalgary, the system will flag your application for us to manually check. If a lot of people submit their application around the same time, we can end up getting a long list of applications to manually check and release. This is why some people report getting their email confirmation seemingly right away after clicking “submit”, and others might get theirs later; same thing goes for the auto-generated emails to referees. The system won’t generate emails until it is sure that they are being sent to/for the correct applicant.

Files are reviewed either once or twice by a member of the Admissions Committee, or by staff in the Student Services office. Because of our comprehensive assessment process, we literally send out paper application files in small bundles to be assessed, so that the assessor can review all aspects of your application package. There is no way for us to know how long it will take for files to return to us each time we send them out; our admissions committee members give each file they read careful consideration and are kindly volunteering their time to us outside their day-to-day jobs. This is why we cannot guess how long it will take for each applicant to hear back from us: with files being processed and read manually, there is unfortunately no button we can press to be able to tell you the exact point of the process that your application has reached.

New for Fall 2016 Admissions: Online Reference Form replaces Letters of Reference

The UCalgary IT department unveiled a new online reference form this year, and we’re pretty excited about it!

The process for you, the applicant, will be the same: you will still enter your referees’ names and contact info into the online application form, and the system will auto-generate an email with a unique link to each referee to access the online reference form.

The process for your referees should now be much smoother: the prompts are easy-to-follow, it shouldn’t require very much time from the referee to complete the reference, and no more uploading! Since the form is online only, the system will auto-update your To Do List and send both you and the referee a confirmation email to confirm successful submission.

Note: When referees have difficulty receiving the email with their unique link, it is usually because their email filters the email to their spam folder, or their institution/company email does not accept auto-generated emails. Please ensure you obtain an email address from your referee that is capable of accepting auto-generated emails, and that your referee adds [email protected] to their safe senders list. (It would probably be good to add [email protected] to your safe senders list as well!)

UCalgary Law Website

Our website has been given an update, and information about JD admissions can be now be found at: http://law.ucalgary.ca/jdadmissions. I highly recommend that you use our website as the most up-to-date source of information about our admissions process and requirements.

Contacting UCalgary Law

We receive a lot of emails and phone calls, particularly during peak times: September through March. I want to help everyone as quickly as I possibly can, but there are going to be many days in the application cycle where I will receive literally hundreds of new emails each day to the [email protected] email, so I thank you in advance for your patience!

Fall 2016 Application Cycle

Applications for Fall 2016 will be open on our website from September 1 to November 1, 2015. Supporting documents will be due March 1, 2016, and the LSAT must be written no later than December 2015.

Cheers! :)

-Malina

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hey Malina, 

Just wondering if you can clarify something for me. Will referee's receive the auto generated e-mail only ever I submit my application? I've entered my referees' information on the site, but have not yet completed and submitted my application. Just wondering if they should have gotten something by now. 

Any clarification you could provide would be awesome! Thanks 

Hey Malina, 

Just wondering if you can clarify something for me. Will referee's receive the auto generated e-mail only ever I submit my application? I've entered my referees' information on the site, but have not yet completed and submitted my application. Just wondering if they should have gotten something by now. 

Any clarification you could provide would be awesome! Thanks 

Your referees should receive their emails within a couple weeks after you submit your application; the emails can't auto-generate until after the application form has been fully submitted.

Cheers!

-Malina

Hey everyone,

We are going to be at a number of upcoming career fairs, so if you're in the area and have any questions, please stop by and visit us! :)

September 23, 2015

Memorial University of Newfoundland Career and Graduate School Fair

http://www.mun.ca/cdel/news.php?id=5965

September 23, 2015

University of Alberta Career Day 2015

http://www.caps.ualberta.ca/Programs-and-services/Career-Fairs-and-Mixers/CareersDay.aspx

September 28, 2015

LSAC Canadian Law School Forum

http://www.lsac.org/jd/choosing-a-law-school/law-school-recruitment-forums

September 30, 2015

University of Lethbridge Career Fair 2015

https://www.uleth.ca/ross/ces/events/career-fair-2015

October 1, 2015

University of British Columbia Graduate & Professional Schools Fair

http://students.ubc.ca/career/events/gradfair

October 6, 2015

University of Calgary Grad School Fair

http://www.ucalgary.ca/careers/students-alumni/career-events/career-fairs

October 31, 2015

University of Calgary Open House Exhibit Fair

http://www.ucalgary.ca/openhouse/exhibit

Cheers!

-Malina

• Like 1

Since the form is online only, the system will auto-update your To Do List and send both you and the referee a confirmation email to confirm successful submission.

Do we receive any sort of email or confirmation to let us know that the email has been sent out to our referees? Before they submit it? 

Do we receive any sort of email or confirmation to let us know that the email has been sent out to our referees? Before they submit it? 

I think if you look at your Student Centre at your To Do List, under the referees it will say "initiated" or something similar. I believe that means that the email has been sent out. I also did get an email once the letter was submitted.

I think if you look at your Student Centre at your To Do List, under the referees it will say "initiated" or something similar. I believe that means that the email has been sent out. I also did get an email once the letter was submitted.

Yes, this is correct.

Cheers!

-Malina

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the emails to our references were not sent out until two weeks after we had submitted our application. Is this still the case?

My application had "initiated" for the reference emails right from when I submitted it. So if the system still doesn't email those links until two weeks later, then "initiated" doesn't actually mean that the links were sent yet. 

I read somewhere that the emails to our references were not sent out until two weeks after we had submitted our application. Is this still the case?

My application had "initiated" for the reference emails right from when I submitted it. So if the system still doesn't email those links until two weeks later, then "initiated" doesn't actually mean that the links were sent yet. 

To clarify: if you are seeing "initiated" next to your referee's name, the email has been sent and the process has been initiated. The reason we say that the system will auto-generate the emails within two weeks after you submit your application is because there is a human element to some of the processing of applications, as I described in my first post in this thread. We hope it doesn't actually take that long, but we figured applicants would prefer that we overestimate how long it may take to manually match and release applications, rather than underestimate. Here is the relevant excerpt describing this process:

If you have previously applied to UCalgary (to any program, not just law!) or if your name is similar to someone else who has ever applied to UCalgary, the system will flag your application for us to manually check. If a lot of people submit their application around the same time, we can end up getting a long list of applications to manually check and release. This is why some people report getting their email confirmation seemingly right away after clicking “submit”, and others might get theirs later; same thing goes for the auto-generated emails to referees. The system won’t generate emails until it is sure that they are being sent to/for the correct applicant.

Hope that helped to clear things up! :)

-Malina

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update to let you know where we're at:

Now that the deadline has passed, we now have the onerous task of creating application files, printing and filing your applications, and filing and entering transcripts and LSAT scores. Right now, there is so much paper around here that it looks a bit like the mailbag scene in Miracle on 34th Street! As I'm sure you can imagine, it's going to take a bit of time to get all of this done for all of the approximately 1160 applications we received this year. Please do not worry about transcripts that have already been sent, or LSAT scores - you'll start to see updates to your To Do Lists mid-November. 

We have also received a lot of emails and voicemails, and are working on answering them as quickly as possible, but please keep in mind that we are now in peak times of the application cycle, and we thank you for your patience! If you have sent us an email, please read our auto-reply in full, as it has answers to the most frequently-asked questions we are receiving at this time.

-Malina

• Like 3

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update to let you know where we're at:

Now that the deadline has passed, we now have the onerous task of creating application files, printing and filing your applications, and filing and entering transcripts and LSAT scores. Right now, there is so much paper around here that it looks a bit like the mailbag scene in Miracle on 34th Street! As I'm sure you can imagine, it's going to take a bit of time to get all of this done for all of the approximately 1160 applications we received this year. Please do not worry about transcripts that have already been sent, or LSAT scores - you'll start to see updates to your To Do Lists mid-November. 

We have also received a lot of emails and voicemails, and are working on answering them as quickly as possible, but please keep in mind that we are now in peak times of the application cycle, and we thank you for your patience! If you have sent us an email, please read our auto-reply in full, as it has answers to the most frequently-asked questions we are receiving at this time.

-Malina

Thank you for taking the time to touch base with everyone during such a busy time! You are always so thoughtful about calming down the anxious frenzy around admissions. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to touch base with everyone during such a busy time! You are always so thoughtful about calming down the anxious frenzy around admissions. :)

You're welcome! :)

Time for another update!

System Maintenance

The university 's IT department will be doing some maintenance to the university's PeopleSoft system from 6 pm on Friday November 20th, to 11:59 pm on Saturday, November 21st. The following services will not be available during this time: myUofC, Peoplesoft, Student Centre, Faculty Centre, and Degree Navigator. This means that the online reference form will not be available during this time.

Online Reference Form

The online reference form is brand new, and we are one of the first faculties at UCalgary to begin using it. With new technologies, there are bound to be a few bugs and quirks to work out. It turns out that ours was that the online reference form was taking longer to load for some than others, so I have been in contact with our awesome IT people over the last few weeks, and I am happy to report that they have identified and resolved the issue, so it should now load much faster for your referees!

LSAT Scores

LSAT scores have all been entered for everyone who did not indicate the December 2015 LSAT within their application. Those of you who did indicate the December LSAT within your application will note that the LSAT remains on your To Do List - this is normal, and it will be removed from the To Do List after we receive and enter your LSAT report. We anticipate receiving the December LSAT reports mid-January.

Transcripts

All of the transcripts we received prior to the November 1st deadline have been matched, and removed form To Do Lists. We are continuing to enter the transcripts we receive on a daily basis, but please note that we are continuing to receive a very high volume of mail, so we thank you for your patience.

If you are watching your tracking number for your mailed transcripts, please note that all mail and couriered items are delivered to the main university shipping & receiving department, where mail is sorted, then delivered through the campus mail system. It may take a few days or even a week before we receive a piece of mail after the package tracking tells you it has been delivered.

Please note that current students must wait until January, once your fall grades are finalized, before sending a transcript for your current institution. This applies to both undergraduate and graduate students. We cannot assess an application until it is complete, so please do not send a transcript for your current institution until January.

Rolling Admissions

Rolling admissions have begun, and will continue right up until the summer. Due to the nature of the assessment process, we unfortunately cannot guess exactly how long it will take for each individual applicant to receive their decision notification after their application file becomes complete, AKA getting a green circle. What we can confirm is that all applicants will receive an email with either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification by the end of June. If you want to read more about the assessment process and the form of rolling admissions that we use, please see our admissions page, at: http://law.ucalgary.ca/jdadmissions.

Please do not worry about rolling admissions if you are a current student or are writing the December LSAT; many applicants are in the same boat, and we know to anticipate and plan for this every year.

Hope you all have a great weekend! :)

-Malina

• Like 2

Hello everyone!

I will be away for the holidays after today, returning January 4th, so this will be my final update in 2015! :)

For any questions or concerns that may arise prior to the holidays, Therese will be available at [email protected] or 403-220-4155. Please note that along with most services on campus, the Faculty of Law Student Services and Admissions office will close for the holidays at noon on December 24th, and reopen on January 4th.

January tends to be one of our busiest times in the Student Services and Admissions office, with many December LSAT scores and transcripts with fall grades arriving, as well as many things that occur within our office for current JD students. Please note the following:

A lot of you indicated a December LSAT test date in your application. We anticipate receiving the LSAT reports for everyone who indicated a December 2015 test date mid-January. Please note that you will likely receive your score before we get it, and it will take us a bit of time to get them all entered, so please do not worry about the LSAT being listed on your To Do List.

Those of you who are current students, both undergrad and grad, may start sending transcripts for your current institution in January, once your fall grades are finalized. If you sent a transcript before your fall grades were finalized, please arrange for an updated transcript to be sent that shows your status up to the end of December 2015.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, and a very happy new year! :)

-Malina

• Like 3

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday break! :)

Just a quick reminder about December LSAT scores on To Do Lists: I know you all just got your LSAT scores, and are excited to see updates your applications. We manually enter scores into the system, and a lot of applicants indicated the December 2015 test date within their application, so it is going to take us a bit of time to enter them all. Thank you so much in advance for your patience!

Time to fuel ourselves with caffeine... :P

-Malina

• Like 2

The March 1st supporting document deadline is quickly approaching! 

It is ultimately the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their application file is complete, but as a courtesy, Therese sent out an email to everyone with an incomplete application yesterday. Just in case the email went to your spam folder, or your email address on-file is no longer current (she did receive some undeliverable notifications) please double-check your To Do List right away!

Information about supporting document requirements can be found on our admissions page, at: http://law.ucalgary.ca/jdadmissions.

How to Check the To Do List

You can check whether your supporting documents have been received through the To Do List in your Student Centre: once an item has been entered as received, it will no longer appear on your To Do List. The To Do List is the most accurate way to track what has been received and what hasn't, and is what will generate the symbols (e.g. green circle/yellow triangle) next to your application status, to let you (and us) know if your application file is complete or not.

You can find your Student Centre by signing into the myUofC portal; the link to sign in can be found in the top-right corner of our website.

The To Do List cannot be checked by phone or email; with approximately 1175 applicants, we simply cannot do this on an individual basis. (Plus I’m sure you would rather that we keep working on processing all of your documents and application files so we can get back to all of you as quickly as possible!)

Updating Contact Info

Your email address and other contact info can be updated through the myUofC portal.

Transcripts

As long as your transcript is postmarked by/on March 1st, it will be accepted as on-time. Please ensure that you use the address listed in the transcripts section of our admissions page.

All mail, including couriered items, gets delivered to our main campus shipping & receiving area. From there, the mail is sorted and delivered through the campus mail system, which may take a few days or even a week after initial delivery. Because of this, please do not worry that it may take a bit of time for your To Do List to be updated after your package tracking says “delivered”.

If you were a student in Fall 2015 and sent in your transcript before your grades were finalized, that transcript cannot be added to your application file; transcripts must include all of your grades up to the end of December 2015. This applies to both current undergraduate and graduate students. Please arrange for an updated transcript that includes your Fall 2015 grades to be sent to us right away.

Unofficial transcripts and faxed/emailed copies of transcripts will not be accepted.

References and Referee Change Requests

The online reference form closes at 11:59 pm MST.

If your referee is no longer able to provide a reference, you may request to change your referee by emailing [email protected] no later than February 15, 2016; please see our admissions page for the info required within your request email. 

Please note that we receive a very high volume of referee change requests as we get closer to the deadline and we will enter them as quickly as we possibly can, so we appreciate your patience. The February 15th referee change request deadline has been set to both allow time for us to enter the many change requests we receive, and to allow time for your referee to receive their email and access the online reference form to submit their reference before the deadline.

Application Fee

If you have not yet paid your application fee, we can still consider your application if it is paid by the March 1st deadline. You will not be able to pay by credit card past the submission of the online application form. Instructions on how to pay the application fee through online banking can be found at: http://www.ucalgary.ca/registrar/fees/paymentoption/onlinebanking.

The Green Circle

There is no set pattern for how long it will take to hear back from us after your file becomes complete and the green circle appears next to your application status within your Student Centre. Early on in the application cycle, there were fewer complete files, so some people may have heard back from us fairly quickly. The vast majority of files become complete in January and February, after the December LSAT scores and transcripts with finalized fall grades are released, so there are now a lot of files for us to work through.

We know that it isn’t fun to wait for the results of your application, so please be assured that we are doing everything we can to get back to everyone as quickly as possible. By the end of June all applicants will receive an email with either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification. The admissions decision will also be updated in the application status section of the applicant's Student Centre.

-Malina 

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

I have some updates for you! :)

Decision Notifications

As you may know, our goal is to provide all applicants with either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification email by the end of June. We know that it can be stressful waiting to find out the results of your application. With this in mind, we have been working very diligently to assess applications as quickly as possible and send out our notification emails as soon as we possibly can, right from the start of the admission cycle.

I am very happy to say that we have greatly exceeded our expectations, and all Fall 2016 applicants have now been sent their email with either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification! (Yay! :))

If you do not think you received an email with either an offer, regrets, or waitlist notification, these are the two explanations we have encountered in the past:

1. Your email’s spam filters sent the email to your junk mail folder.

2. Your email address has changed since you submitted your application, but you did not update it through the myUofC portal, so we sent your notification to the email address we had on-file.

If you still cannot locate the notification email that was sent to you, please contact us at [email protected], and if your email address changed, please also update it through the myUofC portal. (Note: offers and regrets also appear in your Student Centre, but waitlist notifications do not.)

Waitlisted Applicants

For those of you who are on the waitlist, please hang in there!

There are no rankings assigned to those who are on the waitlist; when offers are made from the waitlist, we consider all waitlisted applicants.

This means that we unfortunately cannot estimate how long it will take for each waitlisted applicant to receive their final decision. We do know from past experience that things change throughout the summer, and we will continue to review waitlisted applications. Final decisions for waitlisted applicants may be sent as late as orientation week, and if at any point it becomes clear that you will not receive an offer, we will advise you immediately.

Fall 2017 Admissions

The online application for Fall 2017 will be open on our website from September 1 to November 1, 2016. Please see our admissions page for more information to help you prepare for your future application: http://law.ucalgary.ca/jdadmissions.

-Malina

• Like 4

I hope everyone is having a lovely summer! 

Just a few updates for those of you planning to apply in our upcoming Fall 2017 admissions cycle:

Please keep an eye on our admissions website, http://law.ucalgary.ca/admissions, as it will be going through a series of updates in the late summer/fall! We'll be scheduling the updates around the dates our application are open, so you'll still be able to find all of the information you require and access the online application.

We have condensed the Statement of Interest questions, and there are now three questions that must be answered within the combined total of 500 words:

1. How have your previous experiences and academic choices influenced your decision to apply to law school?

2. Why are you interested in attending UCalgary Law specifically?

3. What would you like to do with your law degree?

We highly recommend that applicants take care to answer all three questions within your Statement of Interest. These questions can also be found in the Online Application Requirements section of our JD admissions page: http://law.ucalgary.ca/jdadmissions.

We have also added a list of upcoming career fairs and grad/professional school fairs we'll be attending to our JD Admissions page, which will be kept up-to-date throughout the year - though most occur during the fall. We hope to see you stop by our booth at one of these events!

Cheers!

-Malina

• Like 3

I hope everyone is having a lovely summer! 

Just a few updates for those of you planning to apply in our upcoming Fall 2017 admissions cycle:

Please keep an eye on our admissions website, http://law.ucalgary.ca/admissions, as it will be going through a series of updates in the late summer/fall! We'll be scheduling the updates around the dates our application are open, so you'll still be able to find all of the information you require and access the online application.

We have condensed the Statement of Interest questions, and there are now three questions that must be answered within the combined total of 500 words:

1. How have your previous experiences and academic choices influenced your decision to apply to law school?

2. Why are you interested in attending UCalgary Law specifically?

3. What would you like to do with your law degree?

We highly recommend that applicants take care to answer all three questions within your Statement of Interest. These questions can also be found in the Online Application Requirements section of our JD admissions page: http://law.ucalgary.ca/jdadmissions.

We have also added a list of upcoming career fairs and grad/professional school fairs we'll be attending to our JD Admissions page, which will be kept up-to-date throughout the year - though most occur during the fall. We hope to see you stop by our booth at one of these events!

Cheers!

-Malina

Thanks for the information, Malina, and I hope your summer was awesome as well!

I have a few questions for you, though:

1. Say I was to apply as soon as the applications opened (September 1st) and my transcripts are ready to be sent to UofC (i.e., I'm done undergrad, so you guys wouldn't have to wait for any of my grades to be completed), and my application was complete by the time the September LSAT scores are released, what is the earliest point in time that I could be accepted? This is all assuming my stats, PS, etc., are up to standard.

2. Does an application submitted earlier increase one's chances of being admitted? I.e., rolling admissions.

3. How much weighting does the Statement of Interest hold in the whole scope of things relevant to admissions?

4. Assuming there is a definite weighting of application components, how much weighting does everything else with regards to the application hold?

Thank you!