Sukhvirlam

Can anyone give insight about housing at UBC?

Would you recommend living on residence? Is it hard to get in, any tips? Which buildings do most law students live in? I heard that if you pay for the 8 semesters you get the summer free, is this true? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. 

In my opinion the residence at Green College is a cool setup - stunning location, some meals, sense of community and all post-undergraduate level students. There is also the Axis building, run by Concert Properties, that a lot of people live in. Incredibly expensive but steps from the law building.

Most of the residences at UBC have a very undergraduate feel to them, with the possible exception of Thunderbird but that's way on the other side of campus. Not a big deal if you ride a bicycle.

That said, I don't really know much about Marine Drive except that it appears to be beautiful and supposedly there are graduate student only floors.

I lived in Marine Drive shortly after it was built (so like 6-7 years ago), and had a largely positive experience. The units were pretty nice, the construction wasn't great, but you did have floor to ceiling windows, possibly with an ocean view. They had graduate students only buildings (I believe), and tended to group the younger students in one specific building, and on lower floors of other buildings. I think the graduate student buildings were the shorter ones, so no 16th floor ocean view there. That said, I ended up having a 19 year old roommate because she asked to be on a higher floor, so obviously the younger/older separation wasn't a hard rule.

I found that how much I enjoyed staying there was dependent on how much I liked my roommates although I think there are single rooms too (bachelors basically) which would take roommates out of the equation. It's also still a residence, with all the RA/floor social/party stuff you'd expect with that, but probably not as much as other areas.

Gage and Fairview are pretty filthy if memory serves, and filled with 19 year olds who party fairly frequently.

I was never inside Thunderbird, but they do have secure, underground parking that's one of the cheapest monthly parking on campus, which is a plus.

I've lived in and visited many UBC residences and DO NOT recommended Gage, Fairview or Thunderbird if you like cleanliness, plus T-bird is beside 1st/2nd year housing so it is often quite loud due to parties. Marine is quite nice, but expensive. Most of the actual UBC housing can be quite expensive for university housing, so I my recommendation would be to explore off-campus options, especially this time of year when students are seeking to fill last-minute roommate positions. In terms of UBC location, Gage residence or places near that are optimal for law students because it they are very close to the law building and bus loop. 

PS I've never heard the "pay for 8 semesters and get one free" rule, so definitely check into that with the university directly. 

As someone that has lived on campus for four years, the "8 terms paid, 1 free" rule you heard of is definitely not true.

I lived in Marine Drive last year and would say the residence is quite nice, and I had a friend in Marine Drive that was in UBC Law that enjoyed living in a studio. If you want to live on your own on campus, that would be a good fit. The Gage apartments (not the Gage towers) are also very nice, and much closer to the Allard building. Both are quite expensive, though.

On 8/22/2015 at 3:51 PM, Girby said:

As someone that has lived on campus for four years, the "8 terms paid, 1 free" rule you heard of is definitely not true.

I lived in Marine Drive last year and would say the residence is quite nice, and I had a friend in Marine Drive that was in UBC Law that enjoyed living in a studio. If you want to live on your own on campus, that would be a good fit. The Gage apartments (not the Gage towers) are also very nice, and much closer to the Allard building. Both are quite expensive, though.

Hey wanted to ask about Marine Drive. Currently only year round contracts are available, was this case with you? Also what did you do the summers where you worked/summered. 

On 12/4/2018 at 11:44 PM, yeezy said:

Hey wanted to ask about Marine Drive. Currently only year round contracts are available, was this case with you? Also what did you do the summers where you worked/summered. 

To be clear, I did my undergraduate degree at UBC. I did not go to Allard.

All of Marine Drive has been on year-round contracts since Ponderosa finished construction a few years ago. You can sublet your apartment for the summer to another student if you do not intend to be in Vancouver for the summer.

If you want housing from UBC for the school year only, apply for a room in the Gage Apartment building or Cedar House in Ponderosa. Both are quite nice and I think it's worth the premium to live comfortably and close to law school, especially during 1L. There are a lot of private residences in the area as well where you could find a similar arrangement. Wesbrook Village has a lot of 2/3BR apartments and there are listings in UBC Housing Facebook groups all the time.

I have lived with law students during 1L and 2L and I have enjoyed that arrangement. I met my roommates through our Facebook class group.

Quick question (kind of) related to this: Do a lot of law students live in housing on-campus (St.Johns and Green are the two mentioned in my offer letter), or do most opt for off-campus as a better/less expensive option? For some reason UBC housing has me very confused. 

2 hours ago, larthur said:

Quick question (kind of) related to this: Do a lot of law students live in housing on-campus (St.Johns and Green are the two mentioned in my offer letter), or do most opt for off-campus as a better/less expensive option? For some reason UBC housing has me very confused. 

No one lives at St Johns or Green. Some people live at Axis or Marine Drive/Westbrook Village. Everyone else lives off campus.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, larthur said:

I ended up at St. John's. Worth a shot, its pretty sweet.