Sign in to follow this  
Nutty

EI Litigation Clinic?

I'm not sure if this a new clinic being offered or something that was available in the past.

Does anyone have experience with the Employment Insurance Litigation Clinic? What was the work like? The time commitments?

Edit: Also, the type of cases being dealt with?

Edited by Nutty

I'm not sure if this a new clinic being offered or something that was available in the past.

Does anyone have experience with the Employment Insurance Litigation Clinic? What was the work like? The time commitments?

Edit: Also, the type of cases being dealt with?

To my knowledge this is brand new. In fact,  I believe even the business law clinic was only added during the last academic year.

As for time commitments, can't comment too much as I never did a clinic but I imagine its pretty crazy given all the competition to get a placement.

As for the types of cases dealt with, I imagine it'd be going before the tribunal about rejected claims/appealing the minister's decision on claims, probably a lot of them relating to disability (?)

I participated in this last year and it was a great experience. Would highly recommend! It's no more time commitment than a class would be, and you get a course credit for it. Plus I got to literally speak to a real tribunal representing a real client with a real issue, which is a very rare opportunity for law students.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• LOL clearly you aren't very familiar with this forum.
    • Call day is Thursday, so they’ll tell us one way or another by then. I thought they were doing second interviews Wednesday, but perhaps not 🧐
    • Because this is a forum for lawyers and law students. I came here to try to learn more about the field, and get a better idea of how I can explore it before I make the decision to go all in. I expected constructive, cordial, and objective discussion and advice. That has overwhelmingly been the case (and for those of you who sent me direct PM's you're amazing). I did not expect to be condescendingly grilled by a few (including a moderator for gods sake) for my grades, apparent "immaturity" and consideration for my parents view. That being said I appreciate that you can relate to my situation from a cultural perspective.
    • Alright.... let's all take a breath and stop the dogpile I can see coming. If anyone has anything constructive left to say please do. OP, you asked for advice and you're getting it. Take what you want and leave the rest but don't throw matches unless you want a flame war.
    • I will never understand why people who explicitly ask for advice from STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET are then confused/shocked when people tell them things they don't want to hear.    I can sympathize with you to an extent. Your situation reminds me a lot of things I've had to deal with.  I'm an immigrant and I had immense pressure put on me by my very old-school family on numerous occasions when I had to make life-altering decisions. I can't even count the number of arguments we had about my undergrad and pursuing law. In the end, I had to make the decisions that were best for me, and while that can be a tough pill to swallow for your parents (especially for super traditional eastern europeans like mine), you have to do it for yourself. Realistically your parents aren't going to be around forever. Then what? You've wasted a huge chunk of your life pursuing something that maybe your heart wasn't even 100% in. That's a way bigger bummer to me than some familial disagreements.  Realizing what you want vs what your family wants was something that took me a VERY long time to negotiate, but I'm glad I came to the realization sooner rather than later.  One last thing - barring other "hardships" you've made vague references to - you need to realize how extremely fortunate you are to even be in the position you are in. You're 25 years old, your parents are paying for your schooling, and you have to **gasp** decide between Law and Medicine.