Sign in to follow this  
FrustratedStudent

Can't fathom what happened today (Losing Motivation)

This is a vent thread, but i just don't know what i did wrong to not receive any call backs. I have always wanted to practice in litigation and i was disappointed with the outcome today. The fact is i have won couple of awards in my law school for advocacy, including a national moot competition. Also, my GPA is competitive. Yet no call backs. I don't know what i did wrong with my apps even after getting numerous people to look at it. As a visible minority, Im getting tired of this term "fit". Just another form of institutional barrier. I'll leave this here... http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/11/12/discrimination_a_daily_reality_for_visible_minority_lawyers_in_ontario_report_says.html

What happened today is making me rethink whether i should pursue this career. 

This is a vent thread, but i just don't know what i did wrong to not receive any call backs. I have always wanted to practice in litigation and i was disappointed with the outcome today. The fact is i have won couple of awards in my law school for advocacy, including a national moot competition. Also, my GPA is competitive. Yet no call backs. I don't know what i did wrong with my apps even after getting numerous people to look at it. As a visible minority, Im getting tired of this term "fit". Just another form of institutional barrier. I'll leave this here... http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/11/12/discrimination_a_daily_reality_for_visible_minority_lawyers_in_ontario_report_says.html

What happened today is making me rethink whether i should pursue this career.

Sometimes life just kicks you in the nuts. I've gotten no calls either. As for the career path, to be honest LSUC & the FLSC have done a great job of taking my money but a very poor job in inspiring and hope or confidence.... They've done a pretty good job in making me doubt my degree choice and my career choice though. I suppose that is the very essence of being human, the doubts and fears and jubilation when they disappear; the years of sorrow when dreams are crushed and the laughs of victory and restlessness of success.

Such is life

Lcbo will be busy tonight

Bars have been open in Ontario for an hour. Just saying. If I have to hear one more person say "chin up, man"... 

I remember my own job search - when I struck out initially the phrase I heard the most was "Oh, you'll find something!" It was so easy for everyone I knew to say with such blithe confidence - and it only made me feel that much more alone. Not helpful at all since I was convinced I had just proven that the vote of confidence was completely misplaced.

I remember the next afternoon I literally went through the yellow pages (this was before the internet was the monolith is it now for this sort of thing) and began cold calling. I may or may not have been drinking at the time. A definite low point for me.

I won't post advice since OP says this is a vent thread. There are other threads on the forum about job searches and when y'all are interested in looking for them, you'll find them. Until then, try not to spit in anyone's latte or punch anyone in the face. They mean well.

• Like 11

What gets me is not the blind optimism that I'll find something/trying to cheer me up, but the constant "you'll be a lawyer, and make lots of money, especially because you go to such a *prestigious* school

I can definitely say I'm jaded and frustrated and pissed off but no choice but to dust off and get back to it. I may or may not be planning to bug Uriel and others for advice

OP, I'm in the same boat as you.  I structured my entire JD towards getting a legal aid position and didn't get a call back.  I thought I had tremendous extra-curiculars, did a full semester at our school's clinic, won numerous trials, mediations, sentence submissions, etc.. had glowing reference letters and did't get called in for an interview.  I've been so bummed the whole day and just want to go out have a few drinks....but I'm sitting here baby sitting and watching Toy Story 2 lol.  

I have no idea how the ef I'm going to ever end up being able to practice criminal law.  FML

Edited by homer

at least you guys completed your articling. i'm sure you will find something else. i'm trying to secure articling right now and i feel the same way when people say "oh you'll find something". 

at least you guys completed your articling. i'm sure you will find something else. i'm trying to secure articling right now and i feel the same way when people say "oh you'll find something".

The posters above you are also searching for an articling position.

The posters above you are also searching for an articling position.

ok, I got confused. I thought they completed their articles and did not get offers for a 1st year lawyer position.

I hear ya. Zero luck from any of the processes-no idea what I'm going to do now. 

Hey, look. It sucks but it might work out.

I interviewed and didn't close at a bunch of firms at OCI's and formal articling. I went into 3L as a 2.5L, sans articling gig.

interviewed at a local place that was accepting CV's for a weekend. I legit went in and ranted about how the Charter doesn't fit with our history for 20 minutes and they hired me. 

And the spot is great. 

So just, play along. Things will work out the way they're meant to be.