Sign in to follow this  
RomS

McGill Courses

Hi everyone, 

Those who are in or are going into McGill law school, I wanted to ask you if you had any suggestions on how to go about taking a reduced course load with courses in the summer. I called the admissions office and they said to talk to the academic advising in the student affairs office. Have any of you taken a shortened course load, if so how did you go about it. 

Could you please let me know. 

Thanks! 

Hi everyone, 

Those who are in or are going into McGill law school, I wanted to ask you if you had any suggestions on how to go about taking a reduced course load with courses in the summer. I called the admissions office and they said to talk to the academic advising in the student affairs office. Have any of you taken a shortened course load, if so how did you go about it. 

Could you please let me know. 

Thanks! 

Do you mean reduced courseload during the regular schoolyear, and then courses in the summer to make up for it? This is possible in 2L and 3L. 1L you don't have flexibility in your schedule.

Do you mean reduced courseload during the regular schoolyear, and then courses in the summer to make up for it? This is possible in 2L and 3L. 1L you don't have flexibility in your schedule.

Yes you do. I know of at least 3 people who took less classes in 1L.  In 1 case, it was ECO that was delayed, in another it was Legal Meth. Unsure about the third person.Special permission was obtained from the Vice Dean Academic.

Other people, myself included, started taking a reduced courseload and graduated in 4 years instead of 3.5.

The larger question is do you mean PART-TIME (9 credits or less) or the bare minimum for full-time (12 credits)?

Yes you do. I know of at least 3 people who took less classes in 1L.  In 1 case, it was ECO that was delayed, in another it was Legal Meth. Unsure about the third person.Special permission was obtained from the Vice Dean Academic.

Other people, myself included, started taking a reduced courseload and graduated in 4 years instead of 3.5.

The larger question is do you mean PART-TIME (9 credits or less) or the bare minimum for full-time (12 credits)?

I stand corrected :). I didn't realize that was an option in 1L.

Keep in mind that you are not eligible for Dean's Honour List if you take under 27 credits per year.

Keep in mind that you are not eligible for Dean's Honour List if you take under 27 credits per year.

90% of per students aren't eligible for Dean's Honour List though...

• Like 3

Thank you all the responses. I am going to be a student with the Office for Students with Disabilities and am in the process to get connected with them. i can't take 6 or 7 courses with my learning needs. So, they told me get settled with them and then Im suppose to meet with the dean the week of August 10 to get things approved. What Student affairs told me was that I would most likely take either 4 or 5 courses during the year and 2 or 3 in the summer. Has anybody done this?

Taking 2 or 3 courses during the summer is crazy if you are talking about taking 2 or 3 Law courses. Non-Law courses have more reasonable schedules during the summer, but law courses are very intense. It is ever hard to find two summer law courses with compatible schedules. 

If you need to take a lower courseload, just take 4 or 5 during the year, and maybe 1 during the summer. I know at least one student who did 1L on a part-time basis without trying to "catch-up" during the summer and everything worked out well, The requirements they impose are partially artificial. And when you don't strictly respect those rules, you find out that nothing really happens. Conclusion: do what you need to do according to your needs, and rules tend to be negotiable (even if they officially try to discourage you from doing otherwise). 

• Like 1

Taking 2 or 3 courses during the summer is crazy if you are talking about taking 2 or 3 Law courses. Non-Law courses have more reasonable schedules during the summer, but law courses are very intense. It is ever hard to find two summer law courses with compatible schedules. 

If you need to take a lower courseload, just take 4 or 5 during the year, and maybe 1 during the summer. I know at least one student who did 1L on a part-time basis without trying to "catch-up" during the summer and everything worked out well, The requirements they impose are partially artificial. And when you don't strictly respect those rules, you find out that nothing really happens. Conclusion: do what you need to do according to your needs, and rules tend to be negotiable (even if they officially try to discourage you from doing otherwise). 

I did 2 summer law courses at the same time and that was my best semester GPA-wise. It depends on the course/the prof/ whether you can strategically miss a lecture to catch up in the other class.