Sign in to follow this  
Another Hutz

Vancouver Articling Week 2016/17

Lidstone called this morning

I heard Lidstone is a puck hog. Would pass up goal opportunities to the wings in order to keep it in his possession. I don't know about working with one of those--too allegorical.

Can someone comment on what kind of amazing quality one needs in order to get a DoJ interview? Please tell me and make me envious... sounds like such incredible odd...

Edited by missclaw

Word on the street is DOJ got over 200 applications for 1 spot.

I know of a major firm that received 320 applications for 1-2 spots. They're interviewing 25.

I know of a major firm that received 320 applications for 1-2 spots. They're interviewing 25.

How do you even review that many?  It hardly seems worth it for them to bother getting in the mix.

ETA: lets just assume that 320 represents everyone in the market.  How many jobs are there?  20?  30?  So grim.... I'm so sorry my wee ls.ca-ers

Edited by almostnot

How do you even review that many?  It hardly seems worth it for them to bother getting in the mix.

ETA: lets just assume that 320 represents everyone in the market.  How many jobs are there?  20?  30?  So grim.... I'm so sorry my wee ls.ca-ers

That's why grades still matter.  It's the easiest filtering method for that many applications.  

I believe our CSO said there will be around 40-50 articling spots before summer ends?  Don't know how accurate that number is.  

10 or so UBC 3Ls to be secured articling positions through this recruit in my year.

Supposedly 5-10 through the formal recruit is the norm. Plenty more through informal channels. And even then, only around 50% have something secured by end of summer so it's not really a huge problem.

Mentioned this elsewhere on the board, but one thing to consider is seeking out or constructing split articles.

If you have an "in" with a smaller firm or an SP, be aware that the financial aspect to hiring a full time articled student probably bars them from doing so. But if you know they have the work or a big case or something you could help with, you might bring up the possibility of split articles with them.

I am not at all familiar with the law society requirements for this kind of thing, but it's worth a shot if your skills and interests lean toward small firm or SP work, e.g. criminal, immigration, family...

• Like 2

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

What is the sound of not getting articles?

I hope it went well for some of the people on this board!

Anyone know if BHT did second interviews? I didn't get the job and thought I had a pretty good shot.

I got second interview but no offer as well.

Better than average grades for sure. There's only a handful of spots, ~300+ applications and ~20-30 interviews. Keep your expectations low unless you have some crazy experience or you already have an "in" with them (e.g. coming close during OCIs).

To get interviews you just need to be close to the median. That said, for the larger firms there's basically a ranking, which is mostly grade based, and then people move up or down from that anchor point.

Better than average grades for sure. There's only a handful of spots, ~300+ applications and ~20-30 interviews. Keep your expectations low unless you have some crazy experience or you already have an "in" with them (e.g. coming close during OCIs).

To get interviews you just need to be close to the median. That said, for the larger firms there's basically a ranking, which is mostly grade based, and then people move up or down from that anchor point.

Thank a lot