Sign in to follow this  
Nutty

2015-2016 Courses

My registration was a disaster - Im registered for all the courses in my block, except for my small torts class... Waiting to hear back from Academic affairs.

My registration was a complete disaster, I'm so disgusted. No one answering the phones to help was the icing on the cake. I echo the other frustrations -- what a crumby way to kick off the UO experience. 

Sounds like we can't make any changes until August -- so if you made a mistake (like I did), you're stuck with it. Brutal. 

I registered for Crim Group 7: G with Jeffrey Johnston and my thematic is Civil Liberties.

Ive hear some great things about professor Johnston- but does anyone have any experience in his class?

I'm sorry to hear about people's registration woes. Compared to my traumatic experiences registering for undergraduate courses (Carleton), I found Rabaska was relatively straightforward. I can't believe I had no difficulty this time. I mean, upon confirmation, I had to periodically refresh the main page for some 20 odd minutes in order assuage my paranoia. I hope academic affairs can resolve your complications.

By 10:02am, that civil liberties course was almost half full! I opted for Int Econ though (interested in the content and have heard good things about McRae).   

I'm sorry to hear about people's registration woes. Compared to my traumatic experiences registering for undergraduate courses (Carleton), I found Rabaska was relatively straightforward. I can't believe I had no difficulty this time. I mean, upon confirmation, I had to periodically refresh the main page for some 20 odd minutes in order assuage my paranoia. I hope academic affairs can resolve your complications.

By 10:02am, that civil liberties course was almost half full! I opted for Int Econ though (interested in the content and have heard good things about McRae).   

I found the registration process relatively simple and fast as well. Perhaps a little too fast, as my top four thematic choices filled up immediately. Hoping that a space in one of them (ideally Civil Liberties) opens up at some point but that seems unlikely given the demand.

Is anybody aware of how to swap a course? Spaces have somehow opened up, yet I am not able to make the change.

This process is killing me. The academic affairs office won't answer any calls or emails and the front office will not help in the time of need.

Well, I ended up getting my second choice for both the block and thematic, and theres definite advantages to both of the blocks I was looking at. But I found the registration process to be rather stressful and frustrating. Originally I was trying to get into the Michael Pal block for small Criminal Law and it didn't specifically tell me the course was "Full", it just said the registration could not be completed (I was thinking that it might have been Rabaska being overloaded and glitching). Later I learned how to check the total # of seats still available in a section =|

Does anyone know if registration ACTUALLY did open up at 10am? At one point it seemed as if some of the comments on this board regarding registration were posted at like 7:30AM?

Edited by seanwise

Is anybody aware of how to swap a course? Spaces have somehow opened up, yet I am not able to make the change.

This process is killing me. The academic affairs office won't answer any calls or emails and the front office will not help in the time of need.

On the Registration page in Rabaska, under the heading "View registered courses", click the tab titled "Courses" and check the box on the far right under where it reads "Select".

Next, from the drop down menu that reads "You can...", select "Change the section for the selected course" and click "Go".

You'll be brought to a new screen that shows the sections for CML 1105, both available and full. Select the section in you wish to register by checking the box beside it and click "Next Step".

The next screen will ask you to confirm your change. If you're certain of your choice, click "Confirm change section".

Finally, stand up, have a stretch and go to the fridge to enjoy a cold beverage.

Edited by citizenzero
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about everyone's troubles with the system.

Thankfully I got the block I wanted but not the thematic course...I also thought the whole adding a thematic course to be quite 'back door' and not as straight forward as adding blocks...overall confusing but not dreadful experience but I could only imagine it was a nightmare for guys who got stuck in platform bugs/problems 

Hey guys,

I unfortunately didn't have any luck getting into the International Business Law/Intl. Economic Law/Public Intl. Law courses, since those were my top 3, I'm kinda stuck. Does anyone know if I should wait for people to potentially switch their thematic courses around (does that even happen/is that even possible?) or should I just suck it up and pick something else?

Thanks!

To everyone freaking out about registration

Don't worry too much if your schedule isn't the way you like it right now. There's always plenty of movement once the semester actually begins and 3/4 of the time you can switch into what you want. 

• Like 5

I suppose for now I will need to pick something just to have the course on my list for the purposes of completing registration?

Hey guys,

I unfortunately didn't have any luck getting into the International Business Law/Intl. Economic Law/Public Intl. Law courses, since those were my top 3, I'm kinda stuck. Does anyone know if I should wait for people to potentially switch their thematic courses around (does that even happen/is that even possible?) or should I just suck it up and pick something else?

Thanks!

Pick something at least as a place holder for now. It's better to get your 4th choice than your last choice if switching doesn't work out.

Edited by Nutty
  • Like 1

On the Registration page in Rabaska, under the heading "View registered courses", click the tab titled "Courses" and check the box on the far right under where it reads "Select".

Next, from the drop down menu that reads "You can...", select "Change the section for the selected course" and click "Go".

You'll be brought to a new screen that shows the sections for CML 1105, both available and full. Select the section in you wish to register by checking the box beside it and click "Next Step".

The next screen will ask you to confirm your change. If you're certain of your choice, click "Confirm change section".

Finally, stand up, have a stretch and go to the fridge to enjoy a cold beverage.

Thanks for this, but it seems like the software the system is running doesn't actually work as it was meant to. It allows 1Ls to choose small groups and courses that are separate from one another - which shouldn't be the case.

Academic affairs seems to have recognized the issue and are working to fix it, but it has been causing loads of issues.

I know that public international law is the set thematic for dual program students (us/can) so that likely reserved a majority of the space, unfortunately i dont think that is listed anywhere so i am not sure how people were to know that.

i was working with a friend of mine (joining us at uOttawa in the fall) who is in vietnam over facebook messenger so you can imagine the nightmare we went through