Sign in to follow this  
ljlife

Best pre-law Arts majors?

In your opinion, what are the best Arts majors that prepare you for law school? I plan on doing political science but I'm debating between philosophy, history and economics as my 2nd major (I find all three interesting so i can't decide, leaning towards philosophy at the moment). Also, if someone does 1 major and 3 minors, do you think that law schools will look at them negatively because they didn't do 2 majors or honours? Ideally, I'd love to do a major in political science, minor in history, minor in philosophy and a minor in french, but I'm afraid that it will look like I slacked off.

By the way, I'm the one who posted the McGill vs Concordia undergrad question a while ago and if anyone is wondering....I chose McGill. 

They don't care, study what you're interested in.

Only one thought, you know the old line about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing?  Far better to get a deep knowledge of one or two particular areas then to end up with a superficial knowledge of 3 or 4.  Take a wide variety of courses in first year (because, hey, you don't know what you're interested in), narrow it down in second year and upper years.  Using myself as an example, I started doing a degree in poli-sci, but took economics, history and some other courses in first year.  By second year, I was doing an economics degree with a history minor, and by third year it was mostly economics (principally because the economics department offered more interesting history courses than the history department, although I took a spattering of philosophy courses in 3rd and 4th year which turned out to be very valuable).  Nobody actually cares what your majors/minors are, a degree's a degree, but its just more intellectually satisfying to come away from undergrad with a deep understanding of something. 

• Like 1

If you can achieve the same grades doing a major vs. honours, do honours. If your grades will suffer, do a major with 1 or 2 minors. 

• Like 1

I wish I'd spent my undergrad learning a new language.

I plan to minor in french to become perfect at the language... I think it's a good idea, especially since I plan to apply to McGill and civil law schools.

In my opinion, economics would be the most useful (in real life) of the three 2nd majors you're deciding between.

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter but something where you have to do a lot of writing and reading may help. If your university has a strong program in an area with good job prospects that might help too (if you choose not to go straight to law school and work for a bit). 

• Like 1

I would approach it as follows:

1) Pick something you are interested in (which you seem to feel equally about them so far)

2) Pick something employable

The first is because you will need good grades, and it is easier to learn a subject you are interested in.  The second is because the majority of people who apply do not get into law school.  You may even find in 4 years the idea of law school (or more school in general) is the last thing you want.  So it is good to put yourself in a position where you will be employable after undergrad.

Edit: For number 2 I should add I have no real input on what degrees are "employable."  Lots of people are in jobs that the only requirement was any degree, so it isn't a clear definition.  I imagine becoming fluent in French would greatly benefit you.  Opens up a lot of doors in many areas.

Edited by TKNumber3
  • Like 2

Edit: For number 2 I should add I have no real input on what degrees are "employable."  Lots of people are in jobs that the only requirement was any degree, so it isn't a clear definition.  I imagine becoming fluent in French would greatly benefit you.  Opens up a lot of doors in many areas.

Someone linked this earlier, it's good http://cou.on.ca/publications/reports/pdfs/cou-gradsurvey_nov2013-final-final-s

double major in forestry/theology, be a druid, 100% employment rate

• Like 4

Would probably do poli sci and economics if I were you, not just for law but general knowledge as well(economics can be very useful)

• Like 1

Meh, if I had to do it all over again, it would either be Communication Studies (again), Psych/Linguistics (audiology or OT), or Industrial Relations (labour field). Look into the industrial relations courses at McGill. It's a small department, and is a mix of business and arts classes.

• Like 1

They don't care, study what you're interested in.

Only one thought, you know the old line about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing?  Far better to get a deep knowledge of one or two particular areas then to end up with a superficial knowledge of 3 or 4.  Take a wide variety of courses in first year (because, hey, you don't know what you're interested in), narrow it down in second year and upper years.  Using myself as an example, I started doing a degree in poli-sci, but took economics, history and some other courses in first year.  By second year, I was doing an economics degree with a history minor, and by third year it was mostly economics (principally because the economics department offered more interesting history courses than the history department, although I took a spattering of philosophy courses in 3rd and 4th year which turned out to be very valuable).  Nobody actually cares what your majors/minors are, a degree's a degree, but its just more intellectually satisfying to come away from undergrad with a deep understanding of something. 

I take an issue with the idea that an undergraduate degree in an arts program will leave you with "deep knowledge."

I take an issue with the idea that an undergraduate degree in an arts program will leave you with "deep knowledge."

Knowledge is communities in the Ozarks, it's all relative. 

In your opinion, what are the best Arts majors that prepare you for law school? I plan on doing political science but I'm debating between philosophy, history and economics as my 2nd major (I find all three interesting so i can't decide, leaning towards philosophy at the moment). Also, if someone does 1 major and 3 minors, do you think that law schools will look at them negatively because they didn't do 2 majors or honours? Ideally, I'd love to do a major in political science, minor in history, minor in philosophy and a minor in french, but I'm afraid that it will look like I slacked off.

By the way, I'm the one who posted the McGill vs Concordia undergrad question a while ago and if anyone is wondering....I chose McGill. 

The one that gets you a decent paying job if you don't get into law school (the majority of applicants don't). 

• Like 1

^^ I don't think there is a BA that ensures a decent paying job is there?

Certainly any motivated BA holder can get a decent paying job, but it would not be as a result of their specific degree area.

• Like 2

Economics is the most employable arts degree but only do it if you're good at math.

• Like 2

I believe in BC that the theatre design / production BAs have remarkably high employment rates (for arts degrees, in their chosen field).

Edited by kurrika

Everyone's already said it, I'll just say it again in eye-ache-inducing bold font.

With the exception of specialized degrees like engineering, most undergraduate degrees will not get you a good job, no matter how impressive the title of the course or difficult the content. It's the great lie the establishment told our generation. It's a well-meaning lie, because for our parents it was true, but it's a lie nonetheless.

Most jobs either don't require an undergrad degree, or require an undergrad plus something else. That's why if you're in undergrad, it's absolutely essential that you know why you're there. If you're there for the love of knowledge, take whatever the hell you want. If you're there to get a job, figure out the kind of job you want immediately. If you don't know what you want, take "love of knowledge" courses and think about it for awhile or even better drop out and get some life experience and think about it for awhile. This is important because unless you're fine spending time and money on a long, open-ended journey of discovery (and nothing's wrong with that), you should be planning your undergrad by working backwards from the actual requirements of the kind of job you want, that you took the time to research to the courses you should be taking. My own mistakes deserve italics.

Which brings us to law school. If you're planning to go to law school, take easy courses where you'll get high marks. That's it, that's all. Don't overthink it. The vast majority of law schools do not care what you took in undergrad.

If you're afraid the easy courses will disqualify you from the other thing you might want to do in four years, put some serious effort into figuring out what that other thing is and make sure the harder courses you're going to take are actually a prereq for doing the other thing. Because the dumbest thing you can do if the goal is law school is take difficult courses that you don't enjoy that still won't qualify you for jack shit. I put most poli sci, philosophy, economics, and general science classes in that category.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 3