Sign in to follow this  
Bob316

Earned and not Given [an undeserved "A"]

Hi folks,

I have a quick question for you. I recently received my final undergrad marks, which included a 'A'. However, I'm not sure that my performance on the final warranted this mark, as I'm sure that I fell in the 'B+' range. Here's my issue: I want my mark in this specific class to be earned and not given, as I worked very hard in this course. If you were in this situation, would you accept the grade? If so, why or why not? Here's some additional information:

- the class is not curved.

- my prof will not release my exam mark.

- I don't want to force my profs hand into releasing my mark, as it could paint him/her into a corner.

- this is not a crisis of character type scenario.

Thanks for your advice,

Bob.

lol what? So you think you got a higher mark than you deserve? Ok its nice that you want to earn your marks but just leave it at an A and be happy with it and move on. Lol what is this.

I mean, unless you did something greatly unethical to get the A, then its a different situation. But if you just have a lower opinion of your own work than your prof and the class isn't even curved meaning that your grade won't hurt anyone else' grade than who gives a fuck?

• Like 5

This has got to be the stupidest "problem" I've ever heard anyone having. Is this just a really subtle/dumb humble brag about your one grade?

Heck, if this is really stressing you out OP, write an addendum to your law applications. Say how you got an A but deserved lower; perhaps an F. I'm sure they will be just as impressed as I am.

• Like 3

Bob,

You already know the answer to this problem. Or you should, and if you don't that isn't a good sign. You seem to be indicating that you want a lower grade, yet you don't seem to want to cause your prof to actually alter it. In order for your grade to be altered, you will likely need to bring forward information indicating a change is needed. I do not see how that can come about within your current circumstances. You will need to provide a case for change to your institution, which would probably involve an audit of your grades. You've indicated this is not something you want to happen.

If you want more meaningful advice, you'll likely have to provide a little more detail. Something is missing here. Profs don't just get to withhold the grades of students "just because."

• Like 1

As a TA this is what I always told my students: If I accidentally gave you a grade too low (maybe by missing a question, or overlooking part of an answer) please talk to me and we will raise your grade. If I accidentally gave you a grade that's too high... Please don't bother me. Accept my miscalculation as human error and run with it.

You don't know how you performed on your final exam. Perhaps there was a curve in the end! Maybe everyone did terribly and so the prof added 10% to every test. I've seen that happen; you have no idea how the final grades were assigned. Take your grade and go with it.

• Like 2

I'm curious why you think this matters. Like DSman said, unless you did something unethical to get the grade, who cares if it's higher than you thought it would be? Count it as good fortune and move on. Maybe your prof thought your work was better than you did; maybe he/she had criteria that was different from yours and you touched on those areas exceptionally.

Whatever the case, why does this bother you? Marks are typically subjective anyway, especially in the social sciences. Getting different marks than what you thought you would get is pretty common.

I'm not sure why you are so sure that your performance fell in the B+ range.  Perhaps you did better than you thought.  Perhaps the marks were overall a bit poor and you were, comparatively, an A (even thought there is no formal curve, there are generally rules or guidelines about grade distribution).  Just take the A.  

This is actually the craziest post I've seen in a while. I mean, how can someone honestly assess their performance so well that they are confident it's only a 'B+' and not an 'A'. It's not even like you thought you failed.

Edited by manordlu11
  • Like 1

I thought there was an actual problem in this thread that required assistance. I'll see myself out.

• Like 2

This is actually the craziest post I've seen in a while. I mean, how can someone honestly assess their performance so well that they are confident it's only a 'B+' and not an 'A'. It's not even like you thought you failed.

Perhaps an A was out of reach even with 100 on the final?

Hello folks,

A troll I'm not! I know that this seems like a 'first world problem'. To conclude this thread, I want to explain my position a bit more clearly. When I left the exam, I was confident that I scored in a specific range, which accounted for the M/C and theoretical questions. As previously mentioned, the only feedback from my prof was that I missed a bunch on the M/C, but did well on the short answer portion (the exam was weighted 60% on the M/C, and 40% on the short answer). Why this matters....I have to work much harder than my peers to earn the same mark, and in this course I worked extremely hard. That's a subjective statement isn't it? However, this is what my whole academic career has boiled down to. To put this in perspective, to me, getting a 'A' instead of what I'm sure I earned is like:

- Farve laying down for Strahan's record breaking sack.

- Bond's hitting his record breaking hr while juicing.

- Hogan vs Jarrett, circa 2000 ish.

- Stieb's last 'strikeout' to get his no hitter.

Am I comparing my academic accomplishments to these great record breaking feats? Absolutely (kidding,,,,,,,calm down everyone). F*&k yes I'm taking this grade, but it just feels hollow.

Bob

@ jackiecharles- I would have needed a 96% on the final to get an 'A'.

@ jackiecharles- I would have needed a 96% on the final to get an 'A'.

You are assuming that there is no adjustment after the percentage grades are calculated.  This is often enough not the case.

• Like 1

Your self worth should not be determined (merely) by grades, either good grades or bad grades. That is all.

I feel hollow whenever I get a good mark in a course, it's like "you tried so hard and achieved your goal but you're still going to die and be forgotten forever." So maybe you're not feeling hollow enough OP?

• Like 5

Am I comparing my academic accomplishments to these great record breaking feats? Absolutely (kidding,,,,,,,calm down everyone). F*&k yes I'm taking this grade, but it just feels hollow.

Shhhhh. Everything's going to be okay.

• Like 1

Hello folks,

A troll I'm not! I know that this seems like a 'first world problem'. To conclude this thread, I want to explain my position a bit more clearly. When I left the exam, I was confident that I scored in a specific range, which accounted for the M/C and theoretical questions. As previously mentioned, the only feedback from my prof was that I missed a bunch on the M/C, but did well on the short answer portion (the exam was weighted 60% on the M/C, and 40% on the short answer). Why this matters....I have to work much harder than my peers to earn the same mark, and in this course I worked extremely hard. That's a subjective statement isn't it? However, this is what my whole academic career has boiled down to. To put this in perspective, to me, getting a 'A' instead of what I'm sure I earned is like:

- Farve laying down for Strahan's record breaking sack.

- Bond's hitting his record breaking hr while juicing.

- Hogan vs Jarrett, circa 2000 ish.

- Stieb's last 'strikeout' to get his no hitter.

Bob

Ok, anyone who can reference wrestling events from 15 years ago has to be an outstanding individual on the up and up. I retract my earlier snarky comments.

It'll be ok, Bob. We've all been there. Getting those hollow As. It's rough, but once you get to law school and the grades come rolling in, those hollow As will be but a distant memory and you can take a newfound satisfaction in your solid Bs.

• Like 1