Many schools' threads have topics similar in nature to this, so I figured I'd toss one in here. Looking back on things, it would've been handy to have a forum to voice concerns or ask questions when I was trying to make my decision between schools.

If any prospective 1Ls, committed or undecided, have any questions, feel free to sound off here. I'll do my best to answer them - and I'm sure some other members will chime in.

And seriously, ask anything: classes, 1L jobs, where to live, exams, social events, best place to grab coffee (Leva, if you're wondering).

How is Ontario represented in your 1L year? Im out of province thinking about applying to UofA

Every year has a batch (don't know exact numbers, but it's not tiny) of students from Ontario. Of those, some are looking (and some succeed) at returning home, others end up working in Edmonton or Calgary or elsewhere. You won't be "the lone Ontarion."

How is Ontario represented in your 1L year? Im out of province thinking about applying to UofA

I know a handful in my 1L year. Some are participating in the Toronto recruitment, others have decided to stick around Alberta.

Everything that has been said is correct. One thing I will note - very few U of A grads article on Bay Street. I think this is mostly selection bias as the vast majority of students at U of A want to work in Alberta or BC, but it is something to consider. If Bay Street is your heart's desire, then you should go to a school in Ontario. Otherwise, if you're from Ontario but are open-minded about relocating to the West, then it's a good option.

Everything that has been said is correct. One thing I will note - very few U of A grads article on Bay Street. I think this is mostly selection bias as the vast majority of students at U of A want to work in Alberta or BC, but it is something to consider. If Bay Street is your heart's desire, then you should go to a school in Ontario. Otherwise, if you're from Ontario but are open-minded about relocating to the West, then it's a good option.

In addition to this, many people with roots in Edmonton, even if one of their goals is bay street, will take part in the Edmonton 1L recruit. If they accept articles during that 1L summer, I don't think they can participate in any Toronto recruits.

For those of you accepted but are not planning to go to U of A, it would be a life-saver to us (people on the waitlist) if you could let Admissions know that you will not be attending. Waitlisted people are making huge life decisions to move to different provinces (some with our entire families including children). If some of us don't hear back a decision by mid-August, we might lose the chance to go to U of A or any law school at all. Hope you understand our difficult situation, and much appreciated if you can let admissions know if you are not planning on attending U of A. Thanks for your time to read this.

Is the Legal Research and Writing course Pass/Fail or does it give a specific grade? Thanks

Unless they've changed it, the first assignment is pass/fail and the remainder of the course is graded.

Unless they've changed it, the first assignment is pass/fail and the remainder of the course is graded.

Thanks

On 8/9/2016 at 2:57 PM, tyrion said:

Is the Legal Research and Writing course Pass/Fail or does it give a specific grade? Thanks

The LRW course is graded, but because it's curved unless you really mess up you should get about an average grade. It's more of a hassle than anything.

Hi

my wife and kids will be staying in Toronto. I am trying to figure out how hard it is to fly back and forth if I go to UofA.

Do you think it's realistic to leave every Friday early and come back Sunday midnight/Monday morning?

23 minutes ago, andrewhl said:

my wife and kids will be staying in Toronto. I am trying to figure out how hard it is to fly back and forth if I go to UofA.

Do you think it's realistic to leave every Friday early and come back Sunday midnight/Monday morning?

Wow. This seems an incredible burden to me. I've done a number of work/home commutes across cities, but I'd say a weekly trip from EDM to TOR would be too much for me. I don't know that anyone on this forum can answer this question for you. You need to do the math yourself based on where you live in Toronto, the average drive to Edmonton airport, and which airport you'd be flying into in Toronto between Pearson and Billy Bishop. You're looking at, after cabbing or driving and parking, airport arrival and security checks, then potential delays, an enormous commute time (14+ hours every weekend) let alone the cost.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:26 AM, andrewhl said:

Hi

Every week is a bit much. I know I said in another thread that you can afford to go every week vs going to Windsor dual, but it will be very taxing and you may have to end up doing readings/assignments while you are with your family.

On the bright side, it's very doable once a month and with Skype and Facetime you will be able to chat with them every night! Plus, if you land a summer job in Toronto, you can hang with them all summer long (actually, you can do this if you don't score a summer job anywhere as well. Silver lining!)

• Like 1

I don't think its realistic. LRW is on Friday, either 9-12 or 1-4. That means the earliest flight you could take to Toronto would be 1:30 or so, meaning you wouldn't arrive until around 8pm, so at best, you'd get 2 days. If you're in the PM group, you're looking at a 6pm flight, meaning a midnight arrival.

Plus, remember that your weekends won't be free...you'll have a lot of readings to do, studying, group work (factum, moot), etc. I think your best bet would be to go home during long weekends, but otherwise, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LadyOfLaw said:

I don't think its realistic. LRW is on Friday, either 9-12 or 1-4. That means the earliest flight you could take to Toronto would be 1:30 or so, meaning you wouldn't arrive until around 8pm, so at best, you'd get 2 days. If you're in the PM group, you're looking at a 6pm flight, meaning a midnight arrival.

Plus, remember that your weekends won't be free...you'll have a lot of readings to do, studying, group work (factum, moot), etc. I think your best bet would be to go home during long weekends, but otherwise, 

could you elaborate on this? is the factum like a group essay?

20 hours ago, LadyOfLaw said:

Thanks. Besides assignments, what law students usually do at weekends? Any particular important event will usually happen on weekends?

17 hours ago, bigfudge2017 said:

could you elaborate on this? is the factum like a group essay?

A factum is essentially a statement of your argument on a case. As a component of the first year curriculum, every 1L participates in "moot" court proceeding, for which you will need to write a factum. The factum and moot are completed in pairs. It will be roughly 20 pages of writing, split between you and a partner, about a legal topic that you will argue before a panel of mock judges.

2 hours ago, andrewhl said:

Thanks. Besides assignments, what law students usually do at weekends? Any particular important event will usually happen on weekends?

How you spend your weekends is *very* much up to you. There's really not one way to approach law school. Some people who are more concerned with making lasting social connections will spend more time going out, some people whose career path depends on performing academically with spend more time doing readings and assignments. At least at the beginning of the year, there will be LOTS of events on the weekends, so it is easy to keep busy then. 

It's worth noting that the first year of law school is made up of very few assignments. Most of your time will be spent reading for classes and making notes on those readings. (Which takes a lot of time if done properly, but there's a strong case to be made that it doesn't need to be done properly)

• Like 1