Sign in to follow this  
anyways

Refused at McGill

I got a refusal letter from McGill last day :(

In that letter, they're mentionning that my records were pretty good and that they woould like that I reapply next year.

I was wondering if that last message is only sent to few people who got refused or is it simply a generic message with every refusal?

Thanks

Edit: Here's the message

"Le Comité a relevé plusieurs points forts dans votre demande et aimerait recevoir une nouvelle demande de votre part pour le prochain cycle d'admission. Bien sûr, toute nouvelle demande serait jugée en comparaison avec les autres que nous recevrions pour l'année en question." 
Edited by anyways

Hey Anyways. Sorry to hear this. I can't give you a 100% positive answer, but I wouldn't say it's a generic message. It clearly mentions that you have several strengths, I don't think a candidate with mediocre record would get the same message. 

That being said, did the message mention why you got refused? Since you have good enough records for them to want to reconsider you for next year, why don't they simply accept you this year? O.o

Edited by simon93
  • Like 1

Realistically, is the answer to this question going to change whether or not you reapply? 

Try sending admissions an email to follow-up on your application. The admissions team is very helpful and I'm sure they could answer your question. Make sure to ask them a specific and direct question, otherwise they'll likely feed you some generic line. Good luck and all the best in the future! 

In that letter, they're mentionning that my records were pretty good and that they woould like that I reapply next year.

I was wondering if that last message is only sent to few people who got refused or is it simply a generic message with every refusal?

Thanks

"Le Comité a relevé plusieurs points forts dans votre demande et aimerait recevoir une nouvelle demande de votre part pour le prochain cycle d'admission. Bien sûr, toute nouvelle demande serait jugée en comparaison avec les autres que nous recevrions pour l'année en question." 

hey sincerely sorry to hear this as well.....If you applied to other schools - you could maybe consider starting somewhere else and apply for a transfer ? 

Would you mind sharing your stats ? 

best of luck for the future! 

refused last week   :|

McGill student, 3rd year.
3.46 of 4.0
150 lsat (Dec, only take)

3 languages, extensive work experience, strong references from tenure profs at mcgill. 

Thanks

I got the same message myself. Unfortunately, I feel like they just say that to everyone who meets the minimum standards. Applications will only gets stronger next year. 

But please let me know if you get in touch with anyone in admissions and they tell you anything different. 

Best of luck! 

FWIW I was refused last year and my letter stated it was due to my lack of French speaking skillz. I reapplied, as well as actually learned French, and I got a call today, presumably for the interview but since I didn't have time was in a public space they told me to call them next week. Can't imagine it would be for anything else but even if it isn't my letter said it was due to a specific concern rather than the general platitudes in other refusal letters. 

I got the same message myself. Unfortunately, I feel like they just say that to everyone who meets the minimum standards. Applications will only gets stronger next year. 

But please let me know if you get in touch with anyone in admissions and they tell you anything different. 

Best of luck! 

Don't give up because applications get stronger. In fact many people get admitted the second or third time they apply. It shows you are motivated and really want to study at mcgill plus they keep your personal statements from previous applications so you get to expand on it. Good luck !

Sorry to hear about the rejections, guys.

Just to update, I was rejected last year and got a generic but not generic letter stating that it was due to my lack of proficiency in French. My cgpa is low but with a strong upward trend and strong finish, LSAT 165 - so not bad stats but not great by any means... definitely felt like I was a marginal candidate - not to dramatize it, I had confidence in my application despite not succeeding in blowing the LSAT out of the water to compensate for my low gpa, but I knew it was gonna be a long wait, and would need some luck, so to speak.

Anyhow, I re-applied this year, stats didn't change but I did take the academic year to learn French, at McGill, so I think it helped that they also recognized the program. Obviously, since I re-applied on worked on what they said needed improving, it made a good impression as it showed that I was serious about going to McGill. Still, my stats didn't change, but showing the commitment helped. I was admitted in the second round, roughly 5 weeks after I had my French interview, so the wait was long and I think that, despite being interviewed, I did luck out to an extent in that someone had to decline their acceptance. Maybe that's not entirely how it works, but I wasn't a slam-dunk candidate, and I'm guessing we are/were on the same boat in that regard.

What's the point of this? I think that McGill does highlight what a rejected candidate's shortcomings are/were, and if that can be improved, then re-applying will definitely put you in a better position for that cycle. I would strongly advise anyone to make sure they kill it with the PS, since it can really make a difference. In my acceptance letter it was stated that my PS played a big part in being accepted. It's important to be able to highlight why you're a good candidate despite not having the best stats, why that is, why it doesn't mean that you won't succeed in law school, etc. 

In short, it's worth the time to work on your application and then re-apply. 

• Like 1

Rejected Monday April 20th. Not competitive enough.

sorry to hear this, would you mind posting or pm'ing me your stats?

Refused a few days ago. 32 r score. No big deal, I will re-apply with better stats and more knowledge after my B.A!

• Like 1

Rejected yesterday. They gave me my French interview 2 weeks ago. They never gave me a specific reason in the letter, but I'm going to guess it was the abysmal interview :)

Rejected yesterday. They gave me my French interview 2 weeks ago. They never gave me a specific reason in the letter, but I'm going to guess it was the abysmal interview :)

Solid stats, a shame you weren't admitted, unlucky, I'm sure you'll enjoy UBC/Osgoode, wherever you choose to attend  :-P

After waiting about 3 months after my French interview I got rejected. They said I had many positives in my application but in the end they weren't convinced my French was good enough. They gave me the option to call back as I was in class, I could have read the forum to look for the questions and prepare myself. I also should have responded in French and not just English but I didn't. But it didn't matter I had already accepted a fully funded PhD offer at UVic at the beginning of February. Mcgill called at the end of February, if I had heard from McGill first I probably would have tried harder. But even if I was accepted I don't think I would have given up the opportunity at UVic. In the end I just wanted the acceptance letter. :P ....Good luck to the rest of you! 

I didn't write the LSAT so I only applied to McGill
I had a 3.7/4.0
I'm not bi-lingual but did an exchange in France
I had several scholarships throughout my BA and MA and awesome LORs. 

I'm happy I made it this far. I heard the interview is the last step for people they were seriously considering pending the language barrier. If I write the LSAT I'm sure I'll get in somewhere. But for now BC is calling my name. 

Edited by Alfie547
  • Like 1