Sign in to follow this  
ljlife

French Interview

Hey everyone.

So I think there's a chance they will consider my application, and I will probably be asked to have a French interview.

Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask? And how good at french they expect the person to be?

Thanks!

Hey everyone.

So I think there's a chance they will consider my application, and I will probably be asked to have a French interview.

Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask? And how good at french they expect the person to be?

Thanks!

Hey there. I posted this a while back in the Accepted thread about my French interview, so I'll just repost it here for your reference. Hope it helps!:

"I had my French Interview today. I'm from Toronto, so it appears as though they are now starting to look at out-of-province candidates and non-fluent bilinguals. I did immersion throughout elementary and high school, but haven't taken a French course since, so I chose to answer all the questions in English. I literally got the call as I was about to get on to the subway, so I panicked a bit trying to find a quiet place to be able to hear, let alone understand, the questions. I had no problem with comprehension, but having to communicate over the phone doesn't make things any easier. A little stressful, but she said I did fine, so we'll see! Based on past years, I think I got the standard questions (i.e. "Describe how you studied French", "Talk about the last thing you read in French", "Explain McGills approach to bilingualism", "How will you strategize to learn the complex judicial terms in French", "What are your motivations for attending McGill".). Again, she clarified that this is a separate process from admissions, so it bears no weight on any decision. My advice: ask to call back on your time, so that you can prepare yourself in a quiet place"

Basically, you only have to demonstrate French comprehension, and they don't seem to care much about the content of your responses as long as you generally understand the question. 

*Then again, I had my interview about a month ago, and haven't heard back, so maybe I totally botched it and all those questions are inaccurate haha 

Edited by JoeShmoe

Hey there. I posted this a while back in the Accepted thread about my French interview, so I'll just repost it here for your reference. Hope it helps!:

"I had my French Interview today. I'm from Toronto, so it appears as though they are now starting to look at out-of-province candidates and non-fluent bilinguals. I did immersion throughout elementary and high school, but haven't taken a French course since, so I chose to answer all the questions in English. I literally got the call as I was about to get on to the subway, so I panicked a bit trying to find a quiet place to be able to hear, let alone understand, the questions. I had no problem with comprehension, but having to communicate over the phone doesn't make things any easier. A little stressful, but she said I did fine, so we'll see! Based on past years, I think I got the standard questions (i.e. "Describe how you studied French", "Talk about the last thing you read in French", "Explain McGills approach to bilingualism", "How will you strategize to learn the complex judicial terms in French", "What are your motivations for attending McGill".). Again, she clarified that this is a separate process from admissions, so it bears no weight on any decision. My advice: ask to call back on your time, so that you can prepare yourself in a quiet place"

Basically, you only have to demonstrate French comprehension, and they don't seem to care much about the content of your responses as long as you generally understand the question. 

*Then again, I had my interview about a month ago, and haven't heard back, so maybe I totally botched it and all those questions are inaccurate haha 

Thanks for posting this. Can you tell us what they said when they called? I'm curious because I got a call today and they asked me if I had 10-15 mins to talk about my file. I asked if it was about the French interview but they just restated it was about "my file" so I said sure, I'm on the bus but I got time to talk. They told me it would be best if I was alone and not in a public space, and since they asked if I had 10-15 mins free I'm guessing it was for the interview. They told me to call back when I could. I get that it could be about my file but I don't see what could take 10-15 mins to go over other than the French interview.

Also, I don't want to make a new thread but is it true that they only interview you if you are already essentially "in" pending the French requirement? I've read/heard stuff to that effect. Anyhow, I hope you/others can weigh in, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for posting this. Can you tell us what they said when they called? I'm curious because I got a call today and they asked me if I had 10-15 mins to talk about my file. I asked if it was about the French interview but they just restated it was about "my file" so I said sure, I'm on the bus but I got time to talk. They told me it would be best if I was alone and not in a public space, and since they asked if I had 10-15 mins free I'm guessing it was for the interview. They told me to call back when I could. I get that it could be about my file but I don't see what could take 10-15 mins to go over other than the French interview.

Also, I don't want to make a new thread but is it true that they only interview you if you are already essentially "in" pending the French requirement? I've read/heard stuff to that effect. Anyhow, I hope you/others can weigh in, that would be very much appreciated.

I can't quite remember exactly what they said when they called, but I remember they started speaking in French right away and said something along the lines of asking a few questions to test my French abilities. So it would seem as though you may not have been called for the 'French' interview - but don't take my word for it. There are a number of other reasons they could call besides the French interview, for what it's worth.

I think we're all under the impression that being called for an interview means at the very least that your application is being seriously considered, but seeing as though I had my interview back in January and have yet to hear anything, there might not be any guarantee at all. It's hard to say how many more offers will be sent out from now until April 1st (the first deadline for accepting offers), but I'm getting the sense that anybody waiting on a response won't hear back until more spaces are available, or at least later in March. Which would be unfortunate for me, as I'll have had to accept at UofT by then. 

Hope that helps! Best of luck to you with the rest of the process.

• Like 1

I got the same call on Friday and it was for the interview.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I called today and it was indeed for the interview.

I think I did well, I answered all in French and bumbled a bit but I think I showed a good grasp of French.

So... I'm hoping that all is good now... The interviewer did not tell me I did well but I didn't ask cus I was nervous at the end but there weren't any "bad" signs lol.

Ugghhh now to wait.

So basically, for anyone who is interested, they ask you typical questions but just in French, like why McGill, why the transsystemic approach, how will you improve your French and study complex legal terms in French, would you consider taking a law course in French if admitted, what is a recent memory you had to speak of (I think, I didn't understand that one so I jus went with it), and what are your strengths and weaknesses in French... lol for that one I spoke about my character traits first cus I understood the en francais bit to mean you HAVE to answer this one in French, but then quickly switched to my strengths and weaknesses in the language. Silly... Umm.... yeah that's it, I spoke all in French so I don't know if I hurt myself by not being more elaborate but in English, though I think I showed a good grasp of the language.

Good luck to all y'all. 

I got the same call on Friday and it was for the interview.

Yeah I figured it had to be that because they ask to make sure you have the time to talk and you are not distracted, I guess if they said it was for the interview and please call back it could let you prepare and call whenever you're truly ready, so it makes sense why they wouldn't elaborate.

To anyone else wondering, as soon as you say that yeah you have time, they switch to French that's the start of the interview.

They don't say anything after, just thanks and good luck in the process. Though I think they only interview candidates they are serious about admitting, otherwise it would be a waste of time to interview ppl they will reject anyway. I think it's admitted pending French competency, or at least some kind of inner circle of top candidates to be reassessed after interviews. Who knows, now I'm just overthinking things.

So basically, for anyone who is interested, they ask you typical questions but just in French, like why McGill, why the transsystemic approach, how will you improve your French and study complex legal terms in French, would you consider taking a law course in French if admitted, what is a recent memory you had to speak of (I think, I didn't understand that one so I jus went with it), and what are your strengths and weaknesses in French... lol for that one I spoke about my character traits first cus I understood the en francais bit to mean you HAVE to answer this one in French, but then quickly switched to my strengths and weaknesses in the language. Silly... Umm.... yeah that's it, I spoke all in French so I don't know if I hurt myself by not being more elaborate but in English, though I think I showed a good grasp of the language.

Good luck to all y'all. 

When she asked "why McGill?" I responded that its because I want to be close to Schwartz's smoked meat...she didn't laugh quite as hard as I hoped.....

• Like 5

When she asked "why McGill?" I responded that its because I want to be close to Schwartz's smoked meat...she didn't laugh quite as hard as I hoped.....

Haha, yeah, I just wanna be where La Banquise is and also be able to attend Habs games. 

• Like 1

Haha, yeah, I just wanna be where La Banquise is and also be able to attend Habs games. 

Best. Poutine. Of. My. Life. So worth the move to another province, LOL! xD

Best. Poutine. Of. My. Life. So worth the move to another province, LOL! xD

La Banquise is the best DRUNKEN poutine. You need to try some good ol' casse croute style poutine when traveling out of Montréal.

• Like 1

La Banquise is the best DRUNKEN poutine. You need to try some good ol' casse croute style poutine when traveling out of Montréal.

What about in Montreal, en ville preferably... Went to Poutineville the other day and that was awesome. I live near Atwater metro and there is a casse croute near Chomedey which looks good... any other good places?

Has anyone heard of people getting refused after the French comprehension phone interview??!!??

Had my french interview last wednesday. I was in lecture, I initially hung up and they called back. The second time I ran out of the lecture and took the call. I'm a TA and sit in the front, it was kinda funny as the class of 300+ students saw me. 

Anyway, I was kind of familiar with some of the typical questions they would ask but didn't actually have time to prepare for them before hand. The call was so unexpected, they gave me the option to call back WHICH I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN! But I was done playing the waiting game and just wanted to take it! Anyway, I'm pretty sure I messed up a lot of the questions. I answered all in English. I should have spoke in French to show them I could.

I did an exchange in Lyon, France and I also did the Explore program in Quebec. I'm not french immersion but studied all throughout high school and took courses during my BA. But I froze on the exam. I couldn't even speak proper English I was so nervous, let alone in a noisy building. 

They asked about the last book I read in French and I jokingly said "Le Petit Prince"...we both chuckled, then I said Discipline and Punish by Foucault. At least they know I have a good sense of humour! AHHHH I walked away with my head down.   

So many questions. I'm hyper-ventilating.  

-----

I graduated with Highest Honours at Carleton. Currently finishing my MA in Legal Studies of which I won an OGS for.

CGPA 3.7 (at Carleton, not sure how McGill translates that); No LSAT
Good softs - many scholarships, I was a parliamentary assistant, volunteer work with humanitarian groups   
Excellent LORs (I assume :P)   

Edited by Alfie547
  • Like 1

I'm not privy to any special information, but, if there's been a gap between a recent french interview and any follow-up, the admissions committee may be waiting for the first round of offers to be either accepted or declined. The deadline for that is April 1st and there may be a bit of movement shortly after.

Has anyone heard of people getting refused after the French comprehension phone interview??!!??

Had my french interview last wednesday. I was in lecture, I initially hung up and they called back. The second time I ran out of the lecture and took the call. I'm a TA and sit in the front, it was kinda funny as the class of 300+ students saw me. 

Anyway, I was kind of familiar with some of the typical questions they would ask but didn't actually have time to prepare for them before hand. The call was so unexpected, they gave me the option to call back WHICH I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN! But I was done playing the waiting game and just wanted to take it! Anyway, I'm pretty sure I messed up a lot of the questions. I answered all in English. I should have spoke in French to show them I could.

I did an exchange in Lyon, France and I also did the Explore program in Quebec. I'm not french immersion but studied all throughout high school and took courses during my BA. But I froze on the exam. I couldn't even speak proper English I was so nervous, let alone in a noisy building. 

They asked about the last book I read in French and I jokingly said "Le Petit Prince"...we both chuckled, then I said Discipline and Punish by Foucault. At least they know I have a good sense of humour! AHHHH I walked away with my head down.   

So many questions. I'm hyper-ventilating.  

-----

I graduated with Highest Honours at Carleton. Currently finishing my MA in Legal Studies of which I won an OGS for.

CGPA 3.7 (at Carleton, not sure how McGill translates that); No LSAT

Good softs - many scholarships, I was a parliamentary assistant, volunteer work with humanitarian groups   

Excellent LORs (I assume :P)   

I mentioned this in the "accepted" thread, but I also felt really horrible after my French interview. I answered all of the questions in English, and there was one question that I had to come back to. I was also very nervous. 

While I obviously don't know how this will effect your individual application, I think you can take some comfort in knowing that a bad interview -- or at least the perception of a bad interview -- doesn't necessarily preclude a successful application. 

• Like 1