Sign in to follow this  
murdochmysteries

Queen's vs Western: Cost of Living

Currently deciding between Queen's and Western and was wondering if I could get some input from either location on how much people are spending on housing while getting their JD. Preferably I want a bachelor or 1 bedroom apartment and am not really sure what the average costs are.

Any input is appreciated!

I went to Western. I was away from the downtown core and on the west side of the campus.

I paid $600/month (utilities/cable/internet in) for a solo basement apartment, separate entrance, shared kitchen.

I'm at Western as well.  I live in a pretty big (maybe 700-750 sq ft) 1 bedroom for a little under $800/month including utilities. I assume I'm on the higher end of what most people pay.  With roommates you kind find stuff as low as $500/month.

I have no idea what Kingston costs but I always assumed it was comparable.

I went to Western. I was away from the downtown core and on the west side of the campus.

I paid $600/month (utilities/cable/internet in) for a solo basement apartment, separate entrance, shared kitchen.

Thanks!

I'm at Western as well.  I live in a pretty big (maybe 700-750 sq ft) 1 bedroom for a little under $800/month including utilities. I assume I'm on the higher end of what most people pay.  With roommates you kind find stuff as low as $500/month.

I have no idea what Kingston costs but I always assumed it was comparable.

I will definitely want to live by myself even if it costs me more. Thanks for your input!

Having attended both Queen's and Western, I can say assuredly that London rent is much, much cheaper than in Kingston, and that there are many more apartments to choose from in the London area.  Transit is so good that in almost any direction you can get a bus to the university, whereas at Queen's there is a very limited area in which you can find an apartment, especially as most of Kingston is quite unsafe.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I lived there, and there's no doubt some sections North of Princess could be sketchy, but I never thought of Kingston as "unsafe".

Is there a specific area that's gotten bad recently?

• Like 2

It's been a long time since I lived there, and there's no doubt some sections North of Princess could be sketchy, but I never thought of Kingston as "unsafe".

Is there a specific area that's gotten bad recently?

Attending Queen's right now. Sections north of princess are unsafe, yes. The city, overall, is definitely not "quite unsafe." 

Rent costs are ridiculous though. If you want to live near campus on your own you're looking at ~800/month. You can live in Queen's community housing and pay less, but it is further away.

Edited by Tacious

Attending Queen's right now. Sections north of princess are unsafe, yes. The city, overall, is definitely not "quite unsafe." 

Rent costs are ridiculous though. If you want to live near campus on your own you're looking at ~800/month. You can live in Queen's community housing and pay less, but it is further away.

That is not ridiculous at all! In Calgary it's at least $1000 if not $1100-1300+ to live near campus and alone. That sounds like pretty affordable housing to me, at least relative to where most law schools are located. 

That is not ridiculous at all! In Calgary it's at least $1000 if not $1100-1300+ to live near campus and alone. That sounds like pretty affordable housing to me, at least relative to where most law schools are located. 

If you think about what Kingston has to offer versus what Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver etc. have to offer it is ridiculous. Rent here is high, and you don't have the option to live further away from campus and take transit in (like you would in larger cities). 800 is also likely going to be a very basic apartment/attic/basement. If you really want to live where all the law/med students live, you're looking at 1k+ except you're in Kingston, not Toronto. It's a tough market here; they know it is mostly students and they jack the rent accordingly. 

• Like 1

If you think about what Kingston has to offer versus what Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver etc. have to offer it is ridiculous. Rent here is high, and you don't have the option to live further away from campus and take transit in (like you would in larger cities). 800 is also likely going to be a very basic apartment/attic/basement. If you really want to live where all the law/med students live, you're looking at 1k+ except you're in Kingston, not Toronto. It's a tough market here; they know it is mostly students and they jack the rent accordingly. 

I agree with you, but it needs to be compared in the context of other law schools which are mostly located in high rent areas. I can't speak for other cities, but in Calgary unless  you live right by the university or on prime C-Train land, then you are looking at an extremely long commute. 

I meant the 1k for a very basic apartment as well. For the better apartments it's easily over 1.3k. 

Rent is pretty expensive anywhere with the exception of a few schools from what I've seen and Queens is on the lower end. 

I agree with you, but it needs to be compared in the context of other law schools which are mostly located in high rent areas. I can't speak for other cities, but in Calgary unless  you live right by the university or on prime C-Train land, then you are looking at an extremely long commute. 

I meant the 1k for a very basic apartment as well. For the better apartments it's easily over 1.3k. 

Rent is pretty expensive anywhere with the exception of a few schools from what I've seen and Queens is on the lower end. 

Well I suppose if we compare it to Western (with the values listed above) Kingston still comes out as the more expensive of the two options.

I know a couple people living in the York Village beside York U/ Osgoode and they only pay 450-650/monthly in room costs. Granted it's not in the better part of Toronto, but $800 rent for Kingston does seem high.

I know a couple people living in the York Village beside York U/ Osgoode and they only pay 450-650/monthly in room costs. Granted it's not in the better part of Toronto, but $800 rent for Kingston does seem high.

For a one bedroom? That's insane, but also not surprising from that area :P 

For a one bedroom? That's insane, but also not surprising from that area :P

One bedroom with their own washroom and spacious living room. Large 2-bedroom apartment is $1000, which divided between two people is $500 each.

I guess people in Kingston have more money to blow haha.

One bedroom with their own washroom and spacious living room. Large 2-bedroom apartment is $1000, which divided between two people is $500 each.

I guess people in Kingston have more money to blow haha.

I wish we had more money to blow...  :cry:  :cry:

It could be a castle with a waterslide ... you're still in the York Village.

• Like 2

Kingston is more expensive than London, but I think it is also a nicer place to live. It's a historic town, that is by the lake, and with some very scenic neighbourhoods (especially Sydenham Ward, where many law students live). It's also got a really vibrant art scene, as well as many good independent restaurants/coffee shops. I have only been to London once, but my impression of it was of a quintessential southern Ontario suburb, i.e. suburban sprawl run amok, dreary concrete apartment blocks, and an over abundance of family-friendly restaurants.

You'll be hard pressed to find a decent 1B where most law students live for less $1000 in Kingston. All bets are off if you're willing to commute a bit.

You'll be hard pressed to find a decent 1B where most law students live for less $1000 in Kingston. All bets are off if you're willing to commute a bit.

Depends what you mean by decent. I had a 1B there for ~$850/month - not amazing quality, but certainly livable, and in a good location (i.e. outside the student ghetto, but < 10 minute walk to campus).