Sign in to follow this  
ljlife

McGill vs Concordia for Undergraduate

I'm a CEGEP student applying to McGill for law, but I understand that there is a low chance I will be accepted. I'm not discouraged and I plan to do an undergraduate degree and re-apply to McGill AND other Univs.

Here are my choices of undergraduate programs:

Honours in Poli. Sci and Concordia University

Bachelor of Arts (will major in poli. sci at McGill)

Honours in poli sci concordia:

Pros-> Shows that I can handle a big workload, apparently easier to get a high gpa due to friendly environment and teachers..

McGill Bach. Of Arts (poli sci)

Pros--> Reputation...

Has anyone been an undergraduate student at these schools with the intention of going to law school and have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

Coming from a Concordia grad, go to McGill. You will have a much more pleasurable university experience. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I don't think a poli sci degree looks better to law schools than any other (I could be totally wrong about this though). I did a political science degree and I think its utility is more how it benefits you when you get to law school than it is getting you into law school. Law school exams (from what I've been told, so again could be totally wrong) have no right or wrong answers and reward you for innovative, logical thinking in your responses and for applying relevant knowledge. Most exams I've written in political science have been a similar format. 

With regards to school choice, I don't think schools prefer one over the other. Yes, some schools have better reputations but that doesn't mean they necessarily grade on a more difficult curve or have a higher work load. Reputations generally derive from the quality of the professors and research at the institution, neither of which really reflects on their undergraduate students. Also, high school is really, really, really easy. Getting good enough grades in high school to be admitted to UofT for undergrad doesn't say that much about you. The only real advantage I can think of, if McGill law is your goal, is that you may be able to get letters of reference from professors who the adcoms at McGill may know and respect. I have a feeling this played a role in my admission to Osgoode because my academic reference was from a professor of international law at York whom is well known in the community to the best of my knowledge. 

Ultimately, I would go wherever you feel you'll enjoy the program the most and to take whichever program you think you will enjoy the most. You are far more likely to get good grades if you are happy at your school and that is what law schools will want to see. I would also not recommend trying to get into law school from CEGEP. Not because you can't do it but because you really don't want to be a lawyer when you're that young. Besides the fact that it may be hard to gain respect from firms and clients if you're only 22 you are also going to sacrifice the best years of your life to school and then the workload required to be a successful associate in your first few years. I wouldn't trade the experiences and the living I did when I was younger for anything and it's only now that I really feel like I'm ready to settle down into that sort of routine. Going out and living a little can also be of tremendous benefit in the study and practice of law, invaluable maybe, because all the legal know-how in the world doesn't mean much if you don't understand how the world works. 

This is just my opinion - I'm sure others would disagree. 

Edited by Alistriwen
  • Like 1

Setto, why do you think McGill offers a more pleasurable experience compared to Concordia? I'd like to hear what you have to say about that

Setto, why do you think McGill offers a more pleasurable experience compared to Concordia? I'd like to hear what you have to say about that

I always found that McGill had a more typical University vibe to it.

Where McGill has an expansive beautiful campus, Concordia has a bunch of buildings peppered all over the place downtown. The quickest way to one of my classes was literally through Sharx bowling alley/bar. McGill has a strong alumni network, Concordia - not so much (unless you are going to JMSB). 

There are a few gems at concordia. Strong MBA program, great engineering co-op, the best athletic therapy program in Quebec, and there poli sci is pretty good. But I have found that my friends who have gone to McGill have had much more doors open for them then I did. Ultimately though, if your goal is law, it really doesn't matter. At all. But I am now a student at U of A and for the first time I feel like I am in a real University setting with a real campus and proud students sporting their U of A shirts. 

Ah alright I see. I've heard that McGill is generally tougher because of the larger classes and because the teachers don't enjoy teaching as much compared to at Concordia. Did any of your friends who went to McGill mention this?

Also apparently McGill students don't have as many Extra curricular opportunities which are important when applying to law school.

Ah alright I see. I've heard that McGill is generally tougher because of the larger classes and because the teachers don't enjoy teaching as much compared to at Concordia. Did any of your friends who went to McGill mention this?

There are hundreds of professors teaching at McGill... none enjoy teaching?

Also apparently McGill students don't have as many Extra curricular opportunities which are important when applying to law school.

There are hundreds of clubs and research opportunities...

Your concerns sound like they are derived from stereotypes that unknowledgeable high schoolers spread around. Pay a visit to the campus and see for yourself.

PLENTY of extracurriculars to do around McGill. Think about all the medschool wannabes who attend McGill. Med places a significantly higher emphasis on extras than Law and McGill students manage to get into both...

The strong candidate can make his/her own opportunities. There is an entire world off campus to explore. 

I searched up McGills club listings and I already see 3-4 clubs I'd be interested in so I'm favouring McGill at this point !

Concordia undergrad, McGill law here. I LOVED Concordia. Much more diverse, much better course selection, urban vibe. McGill is stuffy, and honestly, the undergrads were nothing to write home about (I took 3 non-law undergrad classes at McGill).

Honestly, it is going to come down to the program. Some programs, quite frankly, are better at one school over the other. Communication Studies, Psychology, Fine Arts, Education, are all Concordia strengths. I wouldn't touch physics at Concordia. Engineering can go either way. Poli sci is somewhat unique. Concordia offers a wide course offering, catering to different interests in the field. The 200-level courses will be large, and more of a survey style. I feel McGill offers more in way of Political Economy, which, to me, is more interesting than the typical Poli Sci degree.

If I ever redid undergrad, I would not hesitate to choose Concordia over McGill all over again.

Apply to both. Go visit the schools. Look at which programs are offered at both schools, and see if they have classes that look interesting to you. You may be interested in poli sci now, but may realize that industrial relations is more exciting to you, or linguistics, etc. as you discover what they are. You can make your decision after acceptances roll in.

Yup that's what I'm going to do. Unfortunately I missed McGills open house so I'll probably book a tour. I think both McGill and Concordia have similar course categories for poli Sci but I'll look into it.

If you are at all concerned/interested of going abroad for work or graduate studies, go to McGill. McGill is one of the few schools in Canada that has a international reputation.