Hegdis

Multiple Accounts: Sock Puppets Are Bad

LS.ca  tracks typing patterns and can identify users based on the timing of keypresses / cell phone typing.

Same basic principle they used in world war II to identify german morse code operators.  Now a days they use it to track Tor users and advertisers use it to track users across sites.

:roll:

Seriously? Like a digital form of handwriting? I don't THINK that you're pulling my leg, but it sounds so incredible..

What if I just type with like one finger 'tap' 'tap' 'tap'... :-P

Seriously? Like a digital form of handwriting? I don't THINK that you're pulling my leg, but it sounds so incredible..

What if I just type with like one finger 'tap' 'tap' 'tap'... :-P

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/07/30/websites-can-track-us-by-the-way-we-type-heres-how-to-stop-it/

You can find articles / proof of concept stuff going back a while.  Morgans LLP uses it instead of passwords on their computers.

Edited by kurrika
  • Like 2

Bumping this because holy crap you guys. Way too many multiple accounts popping up here. 

Instead of sending us weepy PMs about how sorry you are for being a jerk and you just wanted fresh start, try this:

1. Don be a jerk

2. Stick to one account

because we have no problem linking your old jerk account to your new one publicly. It’s been done before and it’s looking pretty likely to happen again soon - to more than one person. So knock it off. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hegdis said:

Bumping this because holy crap you guys. Way too many multiple accounts popping up here. 

Instead of sending us weepy PMs about how sorry you are for being a jerk and you just wanted fresh start, try this:

1. Don be a jerk

2. Stick to one account

because we have no problem linking your old jerk account to your new one publicly. It’s been done before and it’s looking pretty likely to happen again soon - to more than one person. So knock it off. 

I'd also like to say that being a jerk one time (or even multiple times) doesn't mean you can't redeem yourself by just starting to contribute in a helpful/more constructive way. If someone calls you out just tell them "yeah, I was a jerk a few times in the past, sorry, I'm trying to contribute now." Though I'd bet that most users prob won't even remember that you were a jerk at some point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conge said:

I'd also like to say that being a jerk one time (or even multiple times) doesn't mean you can't redeem yourself by just starting to contribute in a helpful/more constructive way. If someone calls you out just tell them "yeah, I was a jerk a few times in the past, sorry, I'm trying to contribute now." Though I'd bet that most users prob won't even remember that you were a jerk at some point.

Je me souviens!

But seriously, whether or not one thinks one is the problem, as I think I had discussed with @Hegdis once, if one is creating work for mods that's automatically bad, even if one is/believes one is in the right. Whether that's creating work by repeated insults or multiple accounts or starting Troodles topics in the wrong thread (see, that may annoy Hegdis, but doesn't create more work for him... :twisted: ).

I will also clarify that we aren’t monsters and if you have a really good reason to need a name change, need some previous personal info revealed removed because you now recognize it was not a great idea to post, need to post under a temporary alt or even in some particular circumstances just start fresh, it’s been allowed before and when people are proactive in asking, the mods tend to be a lot more understanding about it. Don’t abuse their volunteer time and it won’t be instant to get a response, but it’s much preferred vs finding out people started new accounts to try out new online personalities to argue with their old one. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'm a little confused.  It sounds like it's happening with increasing frequency, but in this thread I only saw 2 accounts being ousted as sock puppets.  I thought it was a 1-strike policy, has the threat alone been enough to deter offenders?   I've come across arguments in threads where it crossed my mind that there was some multiple account crap going on, which sucks for us [me] garden-variety idiots who say things they [ I] should not have after a few late-night pints of courage [stupidity].

Edited by TrqTTs

I get that you would like to see more public humiliation dispensed on the forum, but not today.

There are other things we do that are not visible to you guys. Don’t worry about it too much. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1