Sign in to follow this  
manordlu11

How bad is Winnipeg Transit?

I've heard mixed reviews. Some people say it's the bane of their existance, while others have used it say it's not that bad. Can anyone chime in for me?

Thanks!

Our transit system is limited to buses only & a few inches (ha ha) of rapid transit buses. But despite that, main routes are serviced well, especially in rush hour - not too bad from anywhere going to U of M -  it is the feeder routes that can run slow & back you up time wise. All in all not too bad!

I don't find it that bad. You need to keep up with the schedule which you can easily check online. I think the worst part about taking public transportation in Winnipeg is waiting in the cold for it to arrive. 

All I can say is find a place close by university if you want to rely on the buses. I live in the north part of the city and it takes me 25 minutes by car, or usually over 2 hours by bus. "Rapid transit" is a joke, just a glorified bus lane that stretches a few blocks. Living somewhere near pembina hwy would be a good idea if you want to bus everyday.

I'm not really sure why you're asking about Winnipeg Transit as a whole when you should really be asking - how long will it take for me to commute to school.

The answer to this completely depends on where you live.

Why wouldn't I ask about Winnipeg Transit as a whole? Some transit systems are notoriously bad. Where I am from we have a very sad excuse of a transit system, whereas having spent a few months in Victoria B.C, I found their transit system to be excellent. 

Obviously how far you live will effect how long it takes to get to school. I'm not sure how that's a constructive piece of advice.

By the sounds of it, Winnipeg Transit isn't perfect, but gets the job done. I'll definitely look to get an apartment as close to the school as I can. Thanks for all the advice!

Aww come on, false positive! :P

Haha. Yeah theyre just trying to get all the "most racist city" stuff off the front page. 

Haha. Yeah theyre just trying to get all the "most racist city" stuff off the front page. 

Let's see how long that dubious title takes to go away...people here still like to talk about "Canada's Worst Neighbourhood" (also according to Maclean's), and that article came out in 2007. (I work in that neighbourhood...it's not really that bad. I mean, our curbside recycling bin has been stolen so many times the city won't replace it again, and you do find used needles in the bushes and back alley whenever the snow melts...but overall not much worse than downtown Regina).

I wonder which of our two cities will be the homicide per capita leader for 2014?

Im with you. I love the city and usually take exception when people are unreasonable critical. I have never felt worried about going anywhere in town. Some people are just weenies. 

• Like 1

Mixed reviews is a pretty fair assessment and matches my experience over the last 15 years of taking transit nearly every day. As long as you aren't coming from or going to somewhere too far off the beaten path it's reasonably reliable. Service can get pretty desolate after 8 or 9 pm to many areas and on the plus side if you take the bus after hours sometimes you get a free show with your ride.

If you're from out of town, I would recommend getting a place in Osborne Village. Lots of bars and restaurants, close to downtown, and the 185 is a great bus route - goes through the village and then straight to the U of M. On average, even during rush hour, it's a 20-25 minute ride on a quiet bus. You'll have marginally faster commute times closer to the U of M, but you'll have nothing but gas stations and crappy retail around you. I know of at least a 20 law students who live in Osborne VIllage.

If you're from out of town, I would recommend getting a place in Osborne Village. Lots of bars and restaurants, close to downtown, and the 185 is a great bus route - goes through the village and then straight to the U of M. On average, even during rush hour, it's a 20-25 minute ride on a quiet bus. You'll have marginally faster commute times closer to the U of M, but you'll have nothing but gas stations and crappy retail around you. I know of at least a 20 law students who live in Osborne VIllage.

Totally second this. Check out the link below for more on "Canadas greatest neighbourhood."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/osborne-named-canada-s-greatest-neighbourhood-1.1266733