Malicious Prosecutor

So You Want To Be A Crown (criminal)

7 hours ago, cigarettes said:

On a more topical note, how has the work of a Crown changed as a result of covid? 

I can only speak for my own experience (Alberta).

Much more court is done remotely.  We do all docket court from our offices via WebEx.

We've totally reorganized the assignment of trial courtrooms.

We have to do a lot more witness hand-holding in advance in order to try and stagger out witnesses.

Judges have been doing pre-trial conferences on every file via telephone.

Tons more trials are still being adjourned for Covid reasons - a witness, or an accused, or a lawyer, can't come to court because they're isolating.

• Like 1

In BC most remand courts are via TEAMS. We have COVID PTCs for every trial and the Crown is expected to have things arranged so witnesses are staggered or appearing by video and both parties are expected to file proposed materials well ahead of time to minimize passing things around. 

• Like 1

Ontario

I now work remotely from home most days. Remand court, bail court, and plea court are all being done remotely via audio conference or Zoom- this may be shifting to completely via zoom going forward. 

the Ontario crown file management system- SCOPE allows us to review most disclosure in a file aside from surveillance videos and statements- so there is not much need to go into the office

At this point the only times I go into the office are if I have a trial or other court appearance that needs to be in person. My in person attendances are like the comments above- the crown is expected to have witnesses arranged and spaced out. 

The virtual courts require a lot more prep and follow up than physical court used to- but the lack or dead time waiting around and the absence of a commute make up for that.