Sign in to follow this  
Diplock

Quick Note re: Paralegal Discussion

6 minutes ago, whereverjustice said:

@sanfordian has elaborated on his employment history in this post.

Thanks. I guess my definition of "investment banker" is different than whereverjustice's. 

3 hours ago, OWH said:

Thanks. I guess my definition of "investment banker" is different than whereverjustice's. 

I would actually suspect your definitions are much closer than you think. 

• Like 1

GPA is around 2.8 (for my LSAT you're right I am actually assuming itll be around 165 because thats where all my practice test have been. My actual score is only 157 but I've taken it again so I'm trying to do predictions based on what I hope it will be). 

I am an investment banker. It isn't as prestigious as maybe you imagine but I do have a few financial certificates and work for RBC. But I'm not trying to say that'll give me an advantage or anything, I'm just wondering if it would be less attractive on an application than a paralegal. 

I researched what it takes to be a paralegal. It will be some work but nothing too difficult I think. A year of schooling, a test, and an application to the paralegal organisation. 

I'm just wondering if anyone had to guess, would it easy to transition from paralegal to lawyer, just as easy to transition from banker to lawyer, or from UK lawyer to Canadian lawyer. 

23 hours ago, sanfordian said:

GPA is around 2.8 (for my LSAT you're right I am actually assuming itll be around 165 because thats where all my practice test have been. My actual score is only 157 but I've taken it again so I'm trying to do predictions based on what I hope it will be). 

I am an investment banker. It isn't as prestigious as maybe you imagine but I do have a few financial certificates and work for RBC. But I'm not trying to say that'll give me an advantage or anything, I'm just wondering if it would be less attractive on an application than a paralegal. 

I researched what it takes to be a paralegal. It will be some work but nothing too difficult I think. A year of schooling, a test, and an application to the paralegal organisation. 

I'm just wondering if anyone had to guess, would it easy to transition from paralegal to lawyer, just as easy to transition from banker to lawyer, or from UK lawyer to Canadian lawyer. 

To be licenced as a paralegal (P1 class) the requirements are a course of study at a school accredited by the LSO, passing the paralegal licencing exam, being "of good character" and application to the Law Society of Ontario. 

There is no transitioning from being a paralegal to being a lawyer. If you a paralegal wants to become licenced as a lawyer they must go through the same process as anyone else. 

Edited by OWH

19 minutes ago, tiptoemaster said:

asking for a friend, anybody know the passing grade for the licensing exam??

It's pass/fail and it changes every year depending on what the advisory committee sets for that particular exam.