Sign in to follow this  
sfustudent

Bond JD or Monash JD?

Actually Hegdis,  I  have studied Law in both countries they are essentially the Same !  

Edited by kenny123

Actually Hegdis,  I  have studied Law in both countries they are essentially the Same !  

I listed three countries. And I dispute your assertion. In what way are two of the three countries "essentially the ame"? 

Can we use criminal law as an example?

Edit: forget my broad question. Let me phrase it this way. I have practised criminal law for a number of years. I would never, ever, travel to the UK or to Australia and assume I knew what the eff was going on. Do you mean to suggest I should be able to do so?

Edited by Hegdis
as noted
  • Like 1

ORION, " If you really can't get into any law school in Canada [TRU or Laskin for example] then I would seriously reconsider choosing law as a career path chances are you aren't cut out for it. " 

This comment is absurd !  Seriously If anything the Common law degree is universal on all grounds. Your statement is incorrect, Countries like the UK and Australia Offer Law Degrees that are Par with Canadian Schools, in fact  they are harder then most Canadian Law schools in terms of course work. 

Grades don't define a person and they sure as hell don't make good lawyers 100% of the time. 

I know so many UK educated lawyers who where average in Law school and our know top criminal lawyers in Canada, in fact they are better  lawyers then the student who got A's. 

This statement is ridiculous !!! please refrain from using this rubbish on here, you risk putting a bad taste in aspiring lawyers mouths. 

But spelling, apparently, is vastly different.

• Like 2

I can confirm, speaking as a Vancouverite who went to UBC.... There is no meaningful difference between UBC, UVIC, and SFU aside from the fact that UVIC is on the island, and SFU is up on that stupid hill.  For 98% of people there is no reason to give a shit, an arts degree from UBC is just as useless as an arts degree from SFU.

Can confirm. All arts degrees are useless and more than likely scams. 

Can confirm. All arts degrees are useless and more than likely scams. 

I don't know. Mine so far has been pretty useful for my law career.

Edited by brokebloke
  • Like 2

Hello I have been accepted into Monash. I was also considering submitting in an application to Bond as January is that last date to take NCA exempt courses.

From my research, and living in Australia on a working holiday visa for the past 7 months I have come to the following conclusions.

1) Staying in Australia is NOT an option for me. First because, Lawyers in Victoria are mostly Solicitors. That is they rarely ever go before the court. To become a Barrister is an additional process. Google it. Secondly, the legal market in Australia is saturated. Equivalent to the US, however carries less prestige than in the US.  Third, Australian society and work is different from Canada, relies heavily on social factors (which keeps me out of the running for obvious reasons). Finally, firms do not hire people who do not have citizenship or PR. That is even if you have working rights given to foreign students for 2-3 upon graduation, getting work (the work has to be in your field of study) is an up hill battle. 

3)However, attending Monash does present some benefits. The Monash program offers a combined degree with Washington University (jd/jd) for stellar students. I would like to participate in this, but the competition would be stiff. 

4) Many students in the course are working at least part-time, some full-time. Many of them are clerks/ accountants at law-firms or work in the financial industry. My mentor for next semester has a Masters from Cambridge and works in Parliament. Professors encourage you to work. I’m trying to find a clerk/ legal sectary position. You can work 20 hours a week on a student visa.

5) There are scholarships for international students doing post-graduate course work. There are four full paid scholarships and 31 10,000 scholarships specifically for international post-graduate course work students. I have applied and waiting for results for both.

6)The course can be completed in 2.5-3 years.

7)There are very few international students in this course. They just started letting them in. Which may or may not be a good thing…but international students pay only slightly more than domestic students who don't have government supported places.

Despite all of these lovely facts. I do NOT want to stay in Australia under ANY circumstance. I will even do 2 years at a Canadian law school upon returning if let in. Considering that, would it be better if I just went to Bond, got exempt from the NCA requirements/did my best to transfer from Bond to a Canadian school?

Or maybe I should apply to University of Melbourne. Better name recognition, requires the LSAT (which I will be writing again on Dec. 6).

I don’t know what to do.

Panicking and applying to jobs in Canada, other schools in Australia, schools at home again, but worried I’m giving up a good opportunity.

Advice, please!

Hello I have been accepted into Monash. I was also considering submitting in an application to Bond as January is that last date to take NCA exempt courses.

From my research, and living in Australia on a working holiday visa for the past 7 months I have come to the following conclusions.

1) Staying in Australia is NOT an option for me. First because, Lawyers in Victoria are mostly Solicitors. That is they rarely ever go before the court. To become a Barrister is an additional process. Google it. Secondly, the legal market in Australia is saturated. Equivalent to the US, however carries less prestige than in the US. Third, Australian society and work is different from Canada, relies heavily on social factors (which keeps me out of the running for obvious reasons). Finally, firms do not hire people who do not have citizenship or PR. That is even if you have working rights given to foreign students for 2-3 upon graduation, getting work (the work has to be in your field of study) is an up hill battle.

3)However, attending Monash does present some benefits. The Monash program offers a combined degree with Washington University (jd/jd) for stellar students. I would like to participate in this, but the competition would be stiff.

4) Many students in the course are working at least part-time, some full-time. Many of them are clerks/ accountants at law-firms or work in the financial industry. My mentor for next semester has a Masters from Cambridge and works in Parliament. Professors encourage you to work. I’m trying to find a clerk/ legal sectary position. You can work 20 hours a week on a student visa.

5) There are scholarships for international students doing post-graduate course work. There are four full paid scholarships and 31 10,000 scholarships specifically for international post-graduate course work students. I have applied and waiting for results for both.

6)The course can be completed in 2.5-3 years.

7)There are very few international students in this course. They just started letting them in. Which may or may not be a good thing…but international students pay only slightly more than domestic students who don't have government supported places.

Despite all of these lovely facts. I do NOT want to stay in Australia under ANY circumstance. I will even do 2 years at a Canadian law school upon returning if let in. Considering that, would it be better if I just went to Bond, got exempt from the NCA requirements/did my best to transfer from Bond to a Canadian school?

Or maybe I should apply to University of Melbourne. Better name recognition, requires the LSAT (which I will be writing again on Dec. 6).

I don’t know what to do.

Panicking and applying to jobs in Canada, other schools in Australia, schools at home again, but worried I’m giving up a good opportunity.

Advice, please!

Personally I wouldn't pursue a legal education anywhere unless I was sure I was going to stay there after graduation, it just doesn't make sense to return to Canada immediately. Too many hoops.

I'd also like to say that I'm not really surprised that the legal market is saturated in Australia, that's what happens when you lower the barriers to entry.

Anyhoo as far as your situation goes, you'd be willing to complete two extra years at a canadian law school anyway, why not come back and complete two more years of undergrad and apply to the L2 schools that allow that? Honestly if you do that and can't get a 3.7 and a 160 it's a pretty good indicator that you aren't a good fit for the profession. They have those standards for a reason. As far as I can tell the only real opportunity you have in Australia is to enter the Australian job market which you don't want anyway.

Edited by FreshPrince

Attending law school in Australia carries a pretty high risk of having a huge debt + being unable to find articles/post-articles jobs.  I would be far too risk-averse to explore such a path.

I would also note, as someone who attended a US law school, that I don't think WUSTL is worth the price of admission (barring scholarship), because it is a (very expensive) private school in a not-great legal market.  Thus, I wouldn't consider a joint degree with them as a big plus.