Sign in to follow this  
Uriel

GET AN AVATAR JEEZ

I'm going through my PM inbox this morning and queries from users without avatars outnumber those with avatars more than three to one.

Guys, virtually all of you have usernames involving:

• one real name and an initial (that you will eventually beg us to change because you didn't read the forum warnings, and the answer will be no); 
  • some variation on the name of a philosopher or TV show character; or
  • some variation on "applicant", "chances", "law (student/guy/girl/dude/alien) or some modest suggestion that your chances are poor.

It's tricky enough keeping you all straight for the purposes of moderation as the site continues to power through five-figure numbers of users.  It's even more tricky when you are asking for assistance specific to your personal situation.  I get a lot of enjoyment out of helping you guys out wherever I can, but a lot of the time I have to re-read our conversation to remember which person you are because your name's not unique and you have no avatar.  

This gets especially awkward when I run into people at a CLE event or a cocktail party and they're like, "I'm LawStudent41!  Thanks so much for all your help!" and I'm like,  :shock:.  ("I just got back from that Amsterdam exchange I was telling you about!"  "Ohhh!  Great!   How's your dog?")   And I know I can't be alone in this.  People use this forum to link up with other students at the same school, with articling students at firms, with current students at schools to which they're applying... we could all use a hand here.

Plus, it just helps to integrate you into the community a bit, which helps you receive more feedback when you need it.  If I were to say the names:

- This_Is_Sparta

- BetterCallSaul

- jmcazabon

then you would probably know who I'm talking about.  You'd be able to say something about their personality and maybe where they work or go to school.

But if I were to say:

- cdc

- Adrian

- ericontario

you might have a harder time, even though the latter group are all more prolific posters.  

Help everyone remember who you are, folks!  Put a face to the name!  (Or, in the case of JAGGERS and epeeist, at least make some interesting typographical choices.)   :uriel:

And stick with it.  It's like getting plastic surgery when you change your avatar (or at least the avatar theme, per Hegdis' ravens).  

• Like 10

Help everyone remember who you are, folks!  Put a face to the name!  (Or, in the case of JAGGERS and epeeist, at least make some interesting typographical choices.)   :uriel:

And stick with it.  It's like getting plastic surgery when you change your avatar (or at least the avatar theme, per Hegdis' ravens).

[portion only quoted]  

I thought when Hegdis switched avatars, some people stopped posting in reply - they decided to quote the raven nevermore.

What do you mean by your suggestion to making "interesting typographical choices"? I assume you mean something more interesting than all-caps and bolding, respectively.  :uriel:

Are you saying that we can change the font of our pseudonyms? Are you volunteering to help do that? Or do you want us to mix-and-match the fonts we use in our posts? Start using more headings, titles and subtitles, numbered lists, endnotes, etc.?

Because if so, be careful what you ask for...  :twisted:

• Like 1

Man, I can't believe I am being called out on this.

Fine! The hunt for an avatar is on.

• Like 3

+ a billion to Uriel

I'm going to petition Morgan to make this a mod power. I would immediately abuse it.

There is some one I have been wanting to turn into a newt for some time now.

But seriously, I have encountered the same problem with tracking conversations over PM. My Inbox has about two dozen grey headshots and maybe six unique avatars. Harder to remember who is who with absolutely no visual.

• Like 5

Would the inverted colours satisfy this request? I feel like it might stand out in a row of grey heads.
(I was actually really proud when I came up with this idea so....) 

But, if not, I can add another distinctive feature I have in mind... 

Edit: If I ever do happen to meet you Uriel I will wish I had left my avatar blank so that when I tell you my username I could have seen you make the face   :shock:.

Edited by 102mike103
  • Like 2

I thought when Hegdis switched avatars, some people stopped posting in reply - they decided to quote the raven nevermore.

What do you mean by your suggestion to making "interesting typographical choices"? I assume you mean something more interesting than all-caps and bolding, respectively.  :uriel:

Are you saying that we can change the font of our pseudonyms? Are you volunteering to help do that? Or do you want us to mix-and-match the fonts we use in our posts? Start using more headings, titles and subtitles, numbered lists, endnotes, etc.?

Because if so, be careful what you ask for...  :twisted:

I'm just saying, you can tell at a glance when you're looking at a standard epeeist post due to the heavy use of bold on disclaimers.  :)

It also helps that you two are prolific enough that we all know who you are anyway.  And it's just natural for people to have a recollection of actual names (e.g., John Grisham, Lionel Hutz), simple words (Omph, Catalyst) or all-caps (though I think Jaggers has seized the market on that one).

Man, I can't believe I am being called out on this.

Fine! The hunt for an avatar is on.

That's what you get for trying to be invisible and prolific at the same time!  You're among the elite of our non-avatarred contributors.

• Like 2

Would the inverted colours satisfy this request? I feel like it might stand out in a row of grey heads.

(I was actually really proud when I came up with this idea so....) 

But, if not, I can add another distinctive feature I have in mind... 

Edit: If I ever do happen to meet you Uriel I will wish I had left my avatar blank so that when I tell you my username I could have seen you make the face   :shock:.

I would count the inverted avatar.  I thought it was clever when I first saw it :)

Ugh - fine: Gott ist nicht tot... Uriel has amazing powers of persuasion and resurrection. 

I vote for D's original avatar to make a comeback. 

Edited by Zarathustra

I like to think I've cornered the market on stupid law-based puns. Also annoying-to-pronounce-out-loud names.

Edit: for a brief period a few years ago I changed it to Saturn Devouring His Son by Goya. I could've cornered the celestial paternal cannibalism market but noooo! *silently chastises self*

Edited by Lawl

Gators gonna 'gait!

I think I mentioned this in an avatar thread a few years ago, but Catalyst's avatar is my all time favourite.  Makes me laugh every time.

• Like 4

I was taking a break from my readings for tomorrow and thought I'd browse this site as I usually do most evenings to unwind and see what the LS community has been up to today. Little did I know I'd spend the next 20 minutes thinking of, searching for and editing a new avatar.

Can't promise it'll be static, but I'll try to stay within a theme as you say.

BTW - this avatar thread seems like a good opportunity to muse about something I've been curious about: copyright infringement and avatar photos on forums. (Not looking for legal advice obvs, but just curious if it's happened.)

• Like 1