Sign in to follow this  
Radfahrer

2014 Toronto OCIs

Atrocious. 2/19 + 1 on waitlist. Strong B+ with ECs, some interesting work experience etc. Makes me wonder if I would have fared better if not for the transfer.

Oh well - now I get to explore the land of non-OCI jobs

• Like 1

Atrocious. 2/19 + 1 on waitlist. Strong B+ with ECs, some interesting work experience etc. Makes me wonder if I would have fared better if not for the transfer.

it only takes one offer. Dude, I had 17 or 18 OCIs, 14 in-firms and 1 offer. My friend had 2 or 3 OCIs, 1 in-firm and 1 offer. It only takes one offer. 

• Like 9

it only takes one offer. Dude, I had 17 or 18 OCIs, 14 in-firms and 1 offer. My friend had 2 or 3 OCIs, 1 in-firm and 1 offer. It only takes one offer. 

Seriously true. A friend of mine had only a couple of OCIs and no in-firms, then got a last-minute off-the-waitlist in-firm at one of her favourites only a few days before interviews and landed the job. Don't be discouraged.

But, just to throw in there - the land of non-OCI jobs may end up being frustrating, but even then things can work out. I had something like 11 OCIs and no in-firms, then ended up getting an amazing job months later and then an articling job at my #1 firm. There is SO much out there beyond OCIs.

• Like 3

Absolutely. I'm not out of it just yet, and the way I figure it, if the firms didn't see something of interest (or, enough of something) in me, it's their loss. I'm also not a 'sore loser' and am happy for anyone and everyone who got OCIs.

I'll just have to maximize my prep and do my best during the process. It's just that there's also extra pressure to succeed, but at least I can focus on each of those firms.

Any idea btw on how likely/often it is to get a waitlisted OCI?

Absolutely. I'm not out of it just yet, and the way I figure it, if the firms didn't see something of interest (or, enough of something) in me, it's their loss. I'm also not a 'sore loser' and am happy for anyone and everyone who got OCIs.

I'll just have to maximize my prep and do my best during the process. It's just that there's also extra pressure to succeed, but at least I can focus on each of those firms.

My buddy had one OCI, one in-firm and one offer. You just need one. 

No clue - i was WL at 2 places, got 1, didn't get the other. I assume it all depends on who turns down their interviews. Hard to predict. 

Is it important to speak to students at the firm currently/from this summer? Many of the firm websites advocate taking this approach, however this seems awkward and also I would be unsure what questions to ask them in a 'cold-call' email or over coffee. Also, if you're going 20 OCIs that's a ton of cold-call emails. Thoughts?

Is it important to speak to students at the firm currently/from this summer? Many of the firm websites advocate taking this approach, however this seems awkward and also I would be unsure what questions to ask them in a 'cold-call' email or over coffee. Also, if you're going 20 OCIs that's a ton of cold-call emails. Thoughts?

Just a tip you might already know: usually law schools have a list of students that summered/will be articling at a firm who are willing to be contacted to talk about their firm. If your school uses Symplicity it might be on there.

Yeah - forget that. I'd talk to students at firms where I accepted in-firms... or firms (during OCIs) that I really, really liked... but no way am i doing 20 cold calls or something like that... 

• Like 1

Yep.  I had too many OCIs that I had to decline (20+, ended up taking 17), 6 in-firms and no offers (1 firm I was first on the WL but everyone accepted their offer).  Then I got a job in the articling recruit.  You never know what will happen until it happens

Edited by italia12

Waitlisted OCIs can be absolute last minute.

And "not out of it just yet" is way off.  I'm not just saying that as a cheerleader, but the fact that you have 20 OCIs doesn't really make it any more likely that you'll score any particular one of them.  It just means your credentials were good enough to get you OCIs.  Lots of people show up with 20 and do terribly in interviews and are lucky to get three in-firms and one offer.  Plenty of others are fought over tooth and nail by the two firms that OCI'ed them because they're stellar in person.  I can think of people with 15+ OCIs that wound up with one or two in-firms, and no offers.  By the end of the OCI process, you will be on even standing with a lot of people that had a dozen OCIs.  Both of you might have two in-firms --- except for you that will be a source of confidence and for them it will be a personal crisis.

Look, you're 100% competitive at two firms.  That allows you to focus and show a real interest and prepare for the OCIs --- even meeting with third-year students or articling students --- which people with 20 cannot do.  You can definitely make it to the dinners and the cocktail parties, and stay for the whole duration without checking your phone.  That focus and additional attention balances off whatever was missing in your application package.  And remember: once you're behind that OCI curtain, it's a new ball game.  No one comes in with a significant advantage over you.

When I go to do OCIs, I know that the students I'm seeing are all smart enough.  The weeding process is already done.  I have 17 minutes to assess whether their EQ is high enough for this job and what the odds are that we'll actually make an offer, and that they'll accept that offer.  I wouldn't in-firm the greatest candidate in the world, with a stellar resume and a magnetic personality, because they're probably going to New York or clerking or quitting when they get bored or, inevitably, a better offer.  I'm looking for a future partner that will be a "fit" with the culture of my firm.  It's an elusive thing to you, but an everyday environment for me.  So believe me when I say that from this point onwards, you have basically the same odds as anyone else at those two firms, and you can ramp up interest and commitment when they will have to be evasive and vague.  Number of OCIs is a fun statistic to obsess over, but it means precisely jack by Hallowe'en.

TL;DR: Low OCI success does not correlate to low success from that point onwards.  Scoring a low (or high) percentage of your OCI applications does not mean you will score a low (or high) percentage of in-firms.

• Like 3

classmates are hand selected by the future versions of themselves.

Sounds like the concept of "firm culture" and "fit" is starting to break through!  It never makes sense until after you see where your friends (and rivals) wind up.

Cosby, who else have you heard from?

Skadden and Davies. Didn't hear from Faskens. Not sure if any other firms have replied to UWO students. I think this year since we seem to be one of the last OCIs in the province, we are being looked at later.

Skadden and Davies. Didn't hear from Faskens. Not sure if any other firms have replied to UWO students. I think this year since we seem to be one of the last OCIs in the province, we are being looked at later.

Great job so far though :)

Edited by nutsandbolts
  • Like 1

From U of A/U of C

OCI: Gowlings and Stikes

PFO: Blakes

Still haven't heard back from Miller Thomson or Bennett Jones, although I heard Miller Thomson doesn't send OCI confirmation emails.

When I go to do OCIs, I know that the students I'm seeing are all smart enough.  The weeding process is already done.  I have 17 minutes to assess whether their EQ is high enough for this job and what the odds are that we'll actually make an offer, and that they'll accept that offer.  I wouldn't in-firm the greatest candidate in the world, with a stellar resume and a magnetic personality, because they're probably going to New York or clerking or quitting when they get bored or, inevitably, a better offer.  I'm looking for a future partner that will be a "fit" with the culture of my firm.  It's an elusive thing to you, but an everyday environment for me.  So believe me when I say that from this point onwards, you have basically the same odds as anyone else at those two firms, and you can ramp up interest and commitment when they will have to be evasive and vague.  Number of OCIs is a fun statistic to obsess over, but it means precisely jack by Hallowe'en.

That explains why I didn't get an in-firm with you guys :)

I think most firms would take a flyer on that candidate.