Sign in to follow this  
blank

Going Into 2L in September, Ask Me Anything

In addition there is 600 King Edward which has about ten or so study rooms that law students can book online. Generally I prefer this building to study in (rather than the library study rooms), but to each their own.

Unfortunately the stunning feature of Ottawa Law is not it's architecture, however the school more than makes up for it with its wide range of class selection and excellent faculty.

FTX is a confusing building to get around. The layout is weird but the classrooms themselves are adequate. Pretty much all (?) of the rooms have enough outlets for class.

The library is not GREAT but it is better than meh or average, because of the large windows.

The rest of campus has some really nice spots, but honestly you will end up being chained to FTX. I did my undergrad at UO and know the campus well, but even then I stuck to FTX 90% of the time.

Hey! my EBill due dates changed on the Bill to September 24.  I called them yesterday and the rep on the line did something to change it.  You should call and ask them to do the same.  and today I checked from work and my due dates did change.

I did this today and was told that my due date has also been changed! Thanks for the heads up :)

In addition there is 600 King Edward which has about ten or so study rooms that law students can book online. Generally I prefer this building to study in (rather than the library study rooms), but to each their own.

Unfortunately the stunning feature of Ottawa Law is not it's architecture, however the school more than makes up for it with its wide range of class selection and excellent faculty.

STOP TELLING EVERYONE ABOUT KING EDWARD :P

• Like 2

@safespace: this is how I felt about Café Alt right before they renovated it.

that entire room was my personal study office back in the day. Unknown, ugly, un-renovated but EMPTY room and it was all mine

Are any 1Ls willing to share how much their tuition is? I'm curious how much it's gone up since my first year.

Are any 1Ls willing to share how much their tuition is? I'm curious how much it's gone up since my first year.

Total amount was a little more than $17K inclusive of all the filler items like insurance, bus etc.

What was it your first year..I had heard when I applied it was low $16k

It was 16800 in 2014. I can't see the 2013 invoice, but it would have been lower.

Edit: I was confused and thought I was overpaying. The issue was that the UPass is not included in the tuition fee listed on the Registrar's website. Problem solved.

Edited by Nutty

$17,471.39 + the $500.00 deposit making it $17, 971.39, to be exact. 

*edit* I didn't subtract all the insurance, bus pass costs, etc.... this number is just what the total cost is for everything. 

Edited by cn2334

is it normal that whne i go on uozone and click purchase my books that the bookstore screen that pops up says "we a re unable to find the specified course" for all of my courses? (i dont want to actually buy the books from the bookstore i just want to know the names of my textbooks so i can start arranging with upper years the books i want to buy are the right edition etc).

Yes it's normal. Law books are not sold through the main book store. The CLSS operates a temporary book store for law books at the start of each semester. It's on the second floor of FTX. Just look for the long line. Occasionally, some profs will use books available at other stores (ex. In the past, Prof Sheehy's crim book was at Benjamin Books which is a small book store one block from campus).

so we wont know what books to buy off upper years till we go to class the first day and the prof gives us the syllabus essentially? 

Book lists are posted on the AEECLSS Bookstore website here: http://bythestudents.ca/book-list/

Professors email them during the summer to let them know which books are necessary for the term. If a book is not listed (Ie: Prof. Mayeda Crim often doesn't have one) then this  means it's like a course pack to be purchased at the docucentre.

Be warned: the bookstore DOES NOT EVER accept returns. It doesn't matter if it's unopenned. Therefore, to be safe, you may want to wait until the first day of classes to purchase the book; but in my experience the list is always accurate.

• Like 1

Ive already been told a number of times to wait until the first week to buy my textbooks: as profs sometimes change their mind and etc.  So does that mean I should attend the first class with no textbook and no readings being done and buy the text book for each class after I attend that particular class?

ex: attend TORTs--> go to bookstore buy book for torts.  attend CRIM --> go to bookstore buy book for crim.

Also, on day 1 your professors are not teaching substantive material (maybe something very small), most of the discussion will be focused on what to expect from the course, structure of the two semesters (if you have two semesters in the course), how the professor structures their readings: recommended, optional and required, assignments etc and what pages to have read for next class. I think I recall my contracts class had an online article we had to read before the first class, but nothing from the textbook. 

I've never been to the UofO campus. How is the FTX library / building and the UofO campus in general?

A really nice campus part of campus to study in if you want a break from FTX is the Social Science building. Its a different environment, but I can usually find space in there to study.

Hey! Can anyone shed some light as to what work out facilities are at Ottawa U?  I try to ensure I work out at least 3-4 times per week.  Im wondering where the gym is and whether tuition covers our entrance into the gym! 

Hey! Can anyone shed some light as to what work out facilities are at Ottawa U?  I try to ensure I work out at least 3-4 times per week.  Im wondering where the gym is and whether tuition covers our entrance into the gym! 

There is the montpetit gym (I think that's what its called?) that has a weightlifting room as well as a couple of basketball/volleyball arenas, a jogging circle (?), and perhaps a few more stuff. I don't go that often unfortunately. It's barely 5 mins walk from fauteux. 

Can any of you comment on your success or failure when it comes to changing courses/blocks? My registration was a total catastrophe and I'm stuck in a crumby block and so far haven't had any luck with my "course modification" request form. Tomorrow is the last day for changing blocks, so I'm hoping my request will go through before all is said and done, but I'm not that optimistic after all that has happened.

Is there any other time -- say, the first week or two of classes? -- that they let you switch entire blocks if students fail to show up for classes, pay their tuition, or ??? and a spot opens up? I've read the policies and procedures but am curious if anyone has actually done this -- or if anyone has any suggestions. 

Thanks everyone. 

Can any of you comment on your success or failure when it comes to changing courses/blocks? My registration was a total catastrophe and I'm stuck in a crumby block and so far haven't had any luck with my "course modification" request form. Tomorrow is the last day for changing blocks, so I'm hoping my request will go through before all is said and done, but I'm not that optimistic after all that has happened.

Is there any other time -- say, the first week or two of classes? -- that they let you switch entire blocks if students fail to show up for classes, pay their tuition, or ??? and a spot opens up? I've read the policies and procedures but am curious if anyone has actually done this -- or if anyone has any suggestions. 

Thanks everyone. 

Unfortunately, I believe the "blocks" are relatively new. I'm a 3L and we didn't sign up in "blocks." It may be tough to fond someone with this experience :(

there are two gyms on campus. Montpetit and the Sports complex.

Sports complex is at King Edward and Templeton but because it`s a nicer facility it can be busy. That said, from my friends that use the UO facilities, it`s fine except right after New Years (understandably)

Tuition covers gym membership