Sign in to follow this  
blank

Going Into 2L in September, Ask Me Anything

I wasn't able to get any of my top three block choices for registration, is there an app or anything that can notify me if anyone drops/ swaps out of one of the blocks I wanted to join?

Apparently you can set up some sort of space notification alert in Rabaska, but good luck finding it. (I've been trying to figure it out for the past hour or so.)

I've also found "modification request" forms, but those won't be accepted 'til late August. 

Meanwhile, all calls to the academic affairs team support line are going straight to voicemail -- which is full (!). 

If you find the answer, please post here. I'll do the same...

Starting 1L in September- Just wondering:   when and how should we by our textbooks?  

I've written about this a few times.

I would wait until the first week to buy your books.

The overwhelming amount of 1Ls buy their textbooks new. This will run you just under $1000. All books are not returnable so you need to make sure you have the right one before you purchase.

I have yet to purchase a textbook new. You can shop for used text books on Facebook - upper years will post on facebook what their selling (I highly recommend you join your 2018 group and the book selling group). My first year I was able to get all of my books for just over $400 (I think?) and this past year I spent about $250.

Edited by TheScientist101
  • Like 1

To piggyback on what TheScientist101 said, it is true, first year tectbooks are STUPID expensive, but it won't necessarily be like that in upper-years. Those classes often have cheaper coursepacks or just a list of decision you look up on CanLii. Like, I think I spent maybe $200 on books all new during 3L

So fear not! It gets better!

Hey everyone! Starting Ls in September.  I'm currently working now and graduated last year- would like to know- what I can do in my spare time in preparation for law school? (other than sleep as much as I can)

Is there anything you guys would recommend or anything you guys wish you did prior to starting LS? Nay books to read?...

Edited by TheCriminalDefence

Hey everyone! Starting Ls in September.  I'm currently working now and graduated last year- would like to know- what I can do in my spare time in preparation for law school? (other than sleep as much as I can)

Is there anything you guys would recommend or anything you guys wish you did prior to starting LS? Nay books to read?...

Take a vacation. Visit family and friends. Have fun.

Reading: http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/41676-prelaw-reading-list/

And more specifically see this post:

Edited by Nutty
  • Like 2

Just have fun, live your life, go on an adventure, make some money. 

Don't even think about law school right now

The only sort of concrete thing I could suggest is start some healthy habits now because they quickly go out the door in law school. The better you can have a decent routine starting law school, the better you will be during law school. Make a habit of eating healthy, working out, taking time for yourself, keeping your ego in check, quit smoking (if you do that now) all that stuff.

You're smart enough to get in, now it's time to see if you're healthy enough to get out in one piece!

Edited by Myrand
  • Like 1

This may sound like a stupid question but I'd really appreciate someone who would know this:

what exactly is the difference between lectures, seminars, tutorials and discussions groups? 

I mean a lecture seems straight forward, but to me tutorials, seminars and discussion groups all seem to by synonyms with one another. I just noticed the four different "groups" on my schedule so I'm curious as to what they may entail. 

Thanks! 

This may sound like a stupid question but I'd really appreciate someone who would know this:

what exactly is the difference between lectures, seminars, tutorials and discussions groups? 

I mean a lecture seems straight forward, but to me tutorials, seminars and discussion groups all seem to by synonyms with one another. I just noticed the four different "groups" on my schedule so I'm curious as to what they may entail. 

Thanks! 

Honestly, there's like, no difference. The more important factors are:

How many students are in your class?

What is the prof's style like?

Some profs just sort of roll-over and give the material even if it says "discussion group" and some profs can take a class of 80 and still make you fear about being called on. 

Again, ignore the designations. They're pretty much useless in my experience.

The exception would be tutorial: generally you do actually work on things there (whether is Legal Research, or Legal Writing in your small group). All of this is not to be confused with the student led tutorials that are voluntary (ie if you're having trouble with classes you can go to them and get help in a discussion group sort of setting).

Edited by Myrand
  • Like 1

I was wondering how realistic it is to have a part time job while in law school? Has anyone done this/ is anyone planning to? It looks like i'll need to take on a student line of credit in addition to OSAP as it doesn't look like OSAP will cover everything for me, so am looking at ways that I can reduce my debt load - hence the part time job question.

Speaking of student lines of credit, can anyone recommend a bank / have any experience with student lines of credit? I've been looking up Scotiabank and they seem to have a pretty good interest rate (prime rate + 0.5%), although most of the major banks don't seem to differ much in what they offer.

• Like 1

I was wondering how realistic it is to have a part time job while in law school? 

I'm only a 0L but I imagine it wouldn't be worth it. Most of the blocks in 1L have significant gaps between classes so I imagine it would be difficult to work anywhere unless its downtown. Also you could probably only work shifts during the week that are really early morning or late evening (which probably wouldn't make you very productive at school). So that really leaves only the weekend which you have to ask, is it worth it to sacrifice your weekend for maybe 160$ worth of work (assuming its a min wage job). 

Also you may want to look at this thread for others response to your question about working: http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/41468-working-while-in-1l-totally-uncommon/

Working during law school isn't for everyone, your ability to balance a job and school will depend on the type of person you are, your work habits and how much sleep you need to function.

I absolutely would advise against working during your first term of 1L. You are just learning how to study a topic and it's best to use all of your focus to learn how to learn law. I worked in my first term of 1L and it was very overwhelming.

My second term in 1L I also worked way too much (about 30hrs/week) and this was overkill. Again, if you are going to work you need to find the balance.

Throughout 2L I worked about 25-30hrs/week and this seemed more manageable (probably because by 2L I was kind of used to law school). It should also be noted that a huge proportion of my jobs were/are flexible - I had exam periods off and I could do a majority of the work from home. I plan to continue the trend and work about 25-30hrs/week in 3L.

But remember, the vast majority of law students do not work during their studies; for myself, I find I am most successful when I'm in a time crunch - but for most people the stress of working and studying is just not worth it.   

Edited by TheScientist101

Thanks GTM39 and TheScientist101 for the replies! I guess I will look at how my first term of 1L is going and then decide. I wouldn't want to overwhelm myself and then have to make the decision of whether to stop working once it's too late.

I was wondering how realistic it is to have a part time job while in law school? ...

I'm only a 0L but I imagine it wouldn't be worth it...

Also you may want to look at this thread for others response to your question about working: http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/41468-working-while-in-1l-totally-uncommon/

See these threads too:

http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/41672-working-in-law-school/

http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/41275-working-a-part-time-job-during-law-school/

In general, most people say don't work and focus on school. 1L grades will be important for interviews. Also, you need to report your income to OSAP so if for example you earn an extra $2000 over the semester, it's possible that your loan amount will be proportionally reduced.

One middle path between work and no work is to find highly paid work. Poke around the faculty. Sometimes you can get lucky in 1L and grab a paid RA position, and they pay WELL so that way you have money but you aren't dedicating as many hours (because the per hour rate is high)

• Like 2

the Scotiabank line of credit is amazing specifically because they don't make you jump through nearly the same hoops as TD, and they give you something like $100k over three years. this school, like probably all the others, is crap at telling you how to find the money to actually attend. they'll toss some scholarships your way and then assume you'll figure out the rest.