Sign in to follow this  
blank

Going Into 2L in September, Ask Me Anything

Has anyone here had Bruce Feldthusen lately? Any suggestions for how to best prepare for him?

Watch The Paper Chase.  

I say this tongue in cheek--I actually think he is a very knowledgeable a personable guy and some people like the Socratic method.  I will leave it to others to comment on Bruce as a prof.

Edited by ProfReader

Watch The Paper Chase.  

I say this tongue in cheek--I actually think he is a very knowledgeable a personable guy and some people like the Socratic method.  I will leave it to others to comment on Bruce as a prof.

Thanks ProfReader. You are the second person who has told me to do that to prepare for him :-).

I condone the socratic method, it's effective. However, I was wondering if it was more the method or the person.

Anyway, just plain petrified, but I guess you can't keep trying to avoid situations like this in life so c'est la vie!

Edited by Sixth

Has anyone here had Bruce Feldthusen lately? Any suggestions for how to best prepare for him?

had him for first half of Torts....You can tell the guy is extremely knowledgeable but imho, he is not the best prof. I found him to be very easily distracted from the assigned readings. He would start teaching concepts beyond the assigned readings and it confused me quite a lot. However, it may have have just been me because a number of my classmates loved him and did very well in his class. 

P.s. in his large Torts class, his final exam was entirely multiple choice which is not what you want in law school. However, I am certain he provided fact pattern for his small Torts class. 

• Like 1

any opinions on Profs Marin and Morales ??? (for torts)

Marin is amazing. Take a class with him. He's a prof that cares and will remember you. Seriously, grab a class with him, especially if you're in English Common Law because I think he does mostly National Program & French Common Law courses.

had him for first half of Torts....You can tell the guy is extremely knowledgeable but imho, he is not the best prof. I found him to be very easily distracted from the assigned readings. He would start teaching concepts beyond the assigned readings and it confused me quite a lot. However, it may have have just been me because a number of my classmates loved him and did very well in his class. 

P.s. in his large Torts class, his final exam was entirely multiple choice which is not what you want in law school. However, I am certain he provided fact pattern for his small Torts class. 

Can confirm the absolute nightmare of Feldthusen's multiple choice questions. He based some of our multiple choice questions off presentations people gave in class. The people who did those presentations didn't even know the right answer to the questions.

Edited by SafeSpace
  • Like 1

Any opinions on David Wiseman? 

David Wiseman is a professor who cares. Twice during the semester he handed out blank pieces of paper for comments about the class so he could adjust his teaching without having to wait for the "official" teacher evaluations.

I also like his Australian accent.

• Like 3

Can confirm the absolute nightmare of Feldthusen's multiple choice questions. He based some of our multiple choice questions off presentations people gave in class. The people who did those presentations didn't even know the right answer to the questions.

Thanks Hamid and SafeSpace. I appreciate your honest feedback and that really helps me with my decision.

• Like 1

any opinions on Profs Marin and Morales ??? (for torts)

Morales was good. She taught us at a very comfortable pace and she's very thorough. She's incredibly approachable as well.

• Like 1

Are we required to register for thematic courses at the same time we register for our 1L blocks? If so, is there a way to see the options?

Edit: question answered - yes.

Any suggestions for which thematic to take?  :-P

Edited by emm-ee

Are we required to register for thematic courses at the same time we register for our 1L blocks? If so, is there a way to see the options?

Look at how the course is evaluated and play with your strengths. If you think you are good at 100% exams then take one evaluated as such. Likewise, if you are good at writing and researching, take one with a major paper. Thematic rarely has an influence on the type of law you want to practice. 

• Like 1

I would advise against taking Project Management with Prof. Ika, ahhh. An upper-year highly recommended the course to me, but he might've had a different prof in his year. Course concepts and expectations were quite unclear, and the final exam was a mess... the very first question was so out of left field we all sat there for 15 minutes looking for the hidden cameras.

• Like 1

I would advise against taking Project Management with Prof. Ika, ahhh. An upper-year highly recommended the course to me, but he might've had a different prof in his year. Course concepts and expectations were quite unclear, and the final exam was a mess... the very first question was so out of left field we all sat there for 15 minutes looking for the hidden cameras.

Lol so many people said the same thing about that course 

• Like 1

Look at how the course is evaluated and play with your strengths. If you think you are good at 100% exams then take one evaluated as such. Likewise, if you are good at writing and researching, take one with a major paper. Thematic rarely has an influence on the type of law you want to practice. 

In upper years students can take a pass/fail grade for their January course. Is that true for 1L too? If you can take P/F, then you could take a course that sounds interesting without worrying about the grade.

I dont think you can take a P/F course in first year. I might be wrong though

I dont think you can take a P/F course in first year. I might be wrong though

No you're right. There's no P/F in January for 1Ls. It's ADR. In my head I was thinking that the 1L elective was in January, but that's during the winter semester.

Can someone fill me in as to what happens during the Friday "Conferences"? Are there mandatory activities/lectures/conferences every Friday from 3:30-10 p.m.?!

Can someone fill me in as to what happens during the Friday "Conferences"? Are there mandatory activities/lectures/conferences every Friday from 3:30-10 p.m.?!

Hey there- Im a 1L.  to answer your question: I would assume not- because if you take a look at all the schedules - there are no classes scheduled during that time.  I just think its there to make us aware that if any conferences, guest lectures and/or activities take place it will be during that time.  thats what I gathered.  but I could be wrong.

Hey there- Im a 1L.  to answer your question: I would assume not- because if you take a look at all the schedules - there are no classes scheduled during that time.  I just think its there to make us aware that if any conferences, guest lectures and/or activities take place it will be during that time.  thats what I gathered.  but I could be wrong.

3L here. This is not an authoritative answer, but I think TheCriminalDefence is correct. Some of the conferences/lectures that appear in the schedule over lunch are also not classes. I think the faculty is just trying to give you some info about what's going on.

That said, the conferences/lectures are often quite interesting so I would recommend attending if the topic interests you. Plus, there is sometimes free lunch.

I wasn't able to get any of my top three block choices for registration, is there an app or anything that can notify me if anyone drops/ swaps out of one of the blocks I wanted to join?