Sign in to follow this  
Lamps8

Just finished 1L (JD) - ask me anything

Hi thanks! I noticed this was for the Undergraduate students, the same plan applies for the Law students as well?

Law students are considered "undergraduate students" at Windsor. So yes, the same plan applies for the Law Students.

Law students are considered "undergraduate students" at Windsor. So yes, the same plan applies for the Law Students.

Wait! So it's not a doctorate???

• Like 2

I'll still refer to myself as "the doctor". Just gotta go out and buy a white coat.

• Like 1

I'll still refer to myself as "the doctor". Just gotta go out and buy a white coat.

Or a TARDIS....

How much printing can we expect to do? I'm buying a new printer and wondering how intensely I'll be using it.

How much printing can we expect to do? I'm buying a new printer and wondering how intensely I'll be using it.

It depends. Do you print all your notes? Do you print various drafts of every assignment? I only printed when doing moot prep and exam outlines. I probably went through a total of 700 pages for the year.

PS I'd recommend a laser printer.

It depends. Do you print all your notes? Do you print various drafts of every assignment? I only printed when doing moot prep and exam outlines. I probably went through a total of 700 pages for the year.

PS I'd recommend a laser printer.

I prefer to read physical copies over reading on my laptop. So if there were pdfs of cases I'd likely print them. Based on this should I expect to do a lot of printing? 

I prefer to read physical copies over reading on my laptop. So if there were pdfs of cases I'd likely print them. Based on this should I expect to do a lot of printing? 

Most of the cases are from coursebooks. Only my crim prof gave PDFs of cases (there was no book), and access to justice had readings to do online. You're probably looking at 100pgs/week for those 2 courses.

In that case you might also choose to print off your CANs when making outlines, or to bring to class, or powerpoint slides, or a lot of other stuff. I know people who went through ~2000pgs+ for the year. It really depends on what you choose to read and print.

ETA: I bought a 24" monitor when the year started. That way, I could hook up my laptop via HDMI, and read on the big monitor. Made things easier/better. Then again, I prefer reading off a screen (unless I'm reading an actual book) so YMMV. If you do end up going this route, buying on Amazon and picking it up in Detroit could save you $$.

Edited by Lamps8
  • Like 2

I would budget 1500-2000 pages for the school year.  You will likely print CANS/Notes for exams for each class, plus A2J and LRW assignments etc.

• Like 3

Most of the cases are from coursebooks. Only my crim prof gave PDFs of cases (there was no book), and access to justice had readings to do online. You're probably looking at 100pgs/week for those 2 courses.

In that case you might also choose to print off your CANs when making outlines, or to bring to class, or powerpoint slides, or a lot of other stuff. I know people who went through ~2000pgs+ for the year. It really depends on what you choose to read and print.

ETA: I bought a 24" monitor when the year started. That way, I could hook up my laptop via HDMI, and read on the big monitor. Made things easier/better. Then again, I prefer reading off a screen (unless I'm reading an actual book) so YMMV. If you do end up going this route, buying on Amazon and picking it up in Detroit could save you $$.

I would budget 1500-2000 pages for the school year.  You will likely print CANS/Notes for exams for each class, plus A2J and LRW assignments etc.

Thanks this really helped!

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking for CANs for Wills and Succession, Commercial Sales, and secured transactions!

TIA

You'd probably have better luck posting that on the Windsor All Years FB page. I'd post a link but I can't seem to post links on this website.

What can we expect the first week? Is it just orientation? Or do we have classes? Should I bring a backpack for orientation? Thanks for answering!

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking for CANs for Wills and Succession, Commercial Sales, and secured transactions!

TIA

SLS has a database for CANs if I recall correctly.

Is the orientation boat cruise worth the $40? I can't decide if I should buy a ticket

People seemed to enjoy it last year - I also think it's sold out for this year?

What can we expect the first week? Is it just orientation? Or do we have classes? Should I bring a backpack for orientation? Thanks for answering!

Sorry, I was busy with my first week prep and neglected to comment. Hope it went well!

Hi Lamps,

Thanks for doing this! I've been able to glean a bunch of info from this thread.

I am in my first year at Windsor and am still trying to figure the best way to prepare for classes/final exams. I was wondering whether you found CANs from a different professor, in a different section, helpful in the event of not being able to obtain a professor-specifc substitute for my own section (for example if a prof is teaching a certain class for the first time) or whether it would just be better to stay away from them altogether?

Also, how weird was it to see that 85' equalizer from Frank yesterday?

Hi Lamps,

Thanks for doing this! I've been able to glean a bunch of info from this thread.

I am in my first year at Windsor and am still trying to figure the best way to prepare for classes/final exams. I was wondering whether you found CANs from a different professor, in a different section, helpful in the event of not being able to obtain a professor-specifc substitute for my own section (for example if a prof is teaching a certain class for the first time) or whether it would just be better to stay away from them altogether?

Also, how weird was it to see that 85' equalizer from Frank yesterday?

Glad it's been of some help!

I think that given your scenario, while you could rely on some of the CANs from other profs, I'd be very cautious. Case commentary will likely be unchanged/helpful; but the other notes, including on what the professor lectured, could throw you off if it is not covered in class, or covered differently. Even with the same book, or the same prof, there may be significant differences, so don't rely on any CAN religiously. I'd put off using those CANs until you are doing exam prep, at which point you could consolidate them with your own notes in case you missed anything, or just read them over for clarification. Good notes of your own (from lectures and the book) have no substitute I think - they make it harder and take more time, but more stays with you, and you understand the material better.

<soccer banter> Yea, I was watching...I have no comment really. On the one hand, I never doubted Super Frankie's skills, and regret CFC letting him go - he also wasn't sufficiently marked. On the other, seeing him score against Chelsea for the first time ever hurts. The refusal to celebrate though cements him as a true professional in my books though. And 1 point to keep the spot at the top of the league was enough out of this game, even if I hoped for a win. </soccer banter>