canstudent12345

Rejected 2014

reply to nosetothegrindstone 

I got the exact same email. I definitely don't think they took a holistic approach at all (even though their website states they do!)... you know their process of admissions is flawed when they provide everyone with the same rejection letter.

Did you notice that they message in the email is so generic that it can apply to every applicant in some way.

We should come together and challenge the way admissions is conducted. Not happy. I thought a University with such a strong reputation would not cheat their applicants in this way.

Do you expect them to send out 1800 personalized rejections? Obviously that wouldn't be practical or feasible on their end.

I was also rejected this afternoon with a 3.65cgpa, 3.77 b2 and a 167 lsat.

reply to nosetothegrindstone 

I got the exact same email. I definitely don't think they took a holistic approach at all (even though their website states they do!)... you know their process of admissions is flawed when they provide everyone with the same rejection letter.

Did you notice that they message in the email is so generic that it can apply to every applicant in some way.

We should come together and challenge the way admissions is conducted. Not happy. I thought a University with such a strong reputation would not cheat their applicants in this way.

I'm confused. You think they didn't take a holistic approach because their rejection letters are generic? I don't see the connection at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure every school gives you a generic rejection letter. You expect 2500 or so unique letters, to each of the prospects they rejected? 

Look, without nailing anyone in particular, please don't take rejections personally. That's the problem of any kind of holistic approach. People find it a lot easier to "lose" to someone with a higher GPA or LSAT, but losing to someone else because they are a more worthy person "holistically" bites harder.

I'm sure you all think that you are awesome and have done all kinds of neat things with your lives. But truthfully, I've never known a law student who didn't have at least some of that going for them, and most have quite a lot of it. Obviously your material wasn't neglected entirely just because you didn't get in. How is that logical? It's just that other applicants were stronger.

There's no reason at all to assume generic rejections mean your application wasn't considered holistically. Seriously, how many ways are there to say "sorry, but at least 180 other people were better than you?" There's nothing obviously wrong with your application. There's no special reason you aren't worthy. Just other people are better applicants. Welcome to the world.

There's no universe in which any personal statement makes up for 158 LSAT and 3.43 GPA, btw. Anyone who told you that might work was either clueless or intentionally screwing with you.

And as to the suggestion that you all band together and fight the injustice in the system ... umm, good luck with that. Seriously, good luck. There's nothing like finally not getting something they want to turn would-be law students into social crusaders. Couldn't give a fuck about any war, or anyone starving in any street, or any other social injustice or cause or problem. But let there be apparent arbitrariness in admission to a law school and suddenly you're ready to fight the power. Have fun with that.

To everyone else with their head screwed on straight. There's no bad law school in Canada, and failing to get admitted to U of T is hardly a "problem" by any ordinary definition. You'll all land somewhere, and do fine there. So relax.

Edited by Diplock
  • Like 7

Everyone faces rejection at some point. It stings. Sure, you can be upset. You can be down in the dumps. You can give yourself that time and space to feel bad.

Then after you get some distance, you pick yourself up and move on.

You'll eventually be rejected again. Maybe after being wined, and dined it'll be through mass email. Maybe it will sting more because you've actually spent time with the person on the other end. It might feel personal, but it's not personal.

It's just the way things work. So mope if you must, and spend time in the emotional dump. But don't bring that resent back with you to the real world. It's not going to cut it.

• Like 2

Out with 3.8/160/weak Ecs

Applied with the intention of rewriting the LSAT, but was too lazy in the end.

Chain1234, I assume you had already been accepted into another good school when you decided not to retake the LSAT?

Rejected yesterday.

Not surprised though, obviously. Still a little disheartening.

Was my first rejection out of the 6 Ontario schools.

Chain1234, I assume you had already been accepted into another good school when you decided not to retake the LSAT?

No sir, decided like mid November not to write in December. Ah well.

Also rejected today. 158 LSAT, 3.43 GPA. Was told my PS wouldn't even get read because of numbers, 

Wait, they actually tell you why they rejected you? What if you receive a generic comment that just says they can't pin point the 'flaw' in your app?

Edited by yupper

Wait, they actually tell you why they rejected you? What if you receive a generic comment that just says they can't pin point the 'flaw' in your app?

Not sure if they sent the same letter as last year, but I had good stats and was rejected with a generic letter. I assume they weren't impressed with my personal statement :P

Edited by Turkeytime

Dear Soniq and Sevic196,

I understand what you guys are saying but, first of all, their application cost is the highest in Ontario, about $200.00. I would definitely want my application evaluated in its entirety, regardless of the numbers, thats why we pay an application fee right...... also, how are you supposed to know why you got rejected if there is a generic letter going out... just saying... please be aware of what happened to you... I am simply saying the treatment was not fair... Just remember, I am on your side... we both got rejected and there is a possibility that I am right..

My stats: lsat 169

last three years 3.79 gpa

Disabled, I explained my circumstances, but I feel as if my PS was never read...

I dont care about the outcome, I wouldn't want to go to u of t anyways because of their ignorance in evaluating applications.

I am just stating a position, which is why this forum is here in the first place.

Best of luck to everyone on their other applications.

• Like 1

There seems to be a bit of a trade off between holistic admissions and transparency of the process. Compare ubc and u of a--they're pretty much as transparent as you get, here's the medians for recent years, this is more or less what you need to have a chance. It's understood that below a certain threshold, they don't read your PS. On the other hand, someone in the accepted thread says they got into the u of t with something like 3.6 and a sub 160 LSAT. Maybe It's understandable that they won't read your PS below a certain threshold, (all schools do that because they don't have time to thoroughly review 2000 applications). But why did they read this person's (who was accepted with low stats) and not the person who was rejected with similar stats (and claims was told the PS would not be read) Who knows? It's holistic, and clearly there is some factor X which they aren't going to tell potential applicants about.

I'm not upset myself, but I can understand why some people might feel frustrated, because u of t actively encourages people it's lower stats to apply, and yeah, it's an expensive application.

• Like 2

These complaints make no sense at all. You guys really don't take rejection well at all, which is probably something you should start working on.

• Like 1

Dear Soniq and Sevic196,

I understand what you guys are saying but, first of all, their application cost is the highest in Ontario, about $200.00. I would definitely want my application evaluated in its entirety, regardless of the numbers, thats why we pay an application fee right...... also, how are you supposed to know why you got rejected if there is a generic letter going out... just saying... please be aware of what happened to you... I am simply saying the treatment was not fair... Just remember, I am on your side... we both got rejected and there is a possibility that I am right..

Disabled, I explained my circumstances, but I feel as if my PS was never read...

I dont care about the outcome, I wouldn't want to go to u of t anyways because of their ignorance in evaluating applications.

I am just stating a position, which is why this forum is here in the first place.

With those numbers, your personal statement was definitely read. 

• Like 3

There is no shame in getting rejected from U of T. Personal statement makes up 1/3 of the admissions process, of course it is read for most applicants, unless you have completely dismal numbers (below 3.0, 160). There is no point guessing if your application was read or wasn't read. You got the rejection. Accept it. Chances are you got into some other amazing schools in Ontario and Canada.

Best to stop stressing over things like this and be happy about getting accepted to some other amazing law schools here.

Edited by Lawstudent1
  • Like 1

From what I heard, UofT definitely does read your personal statement and gives it a score. No idea how they score it, but that score is equally weighed with your GPA and LSAT in their final decision. The only thing that they admit to not reading (or reading sometimes) are letters of reference.

Dear Soniq and Sevic196,

I agree with Wildlocke. With your numbers, it's overwhelmingly likely they read your PS.

When I applied I think the fee was $100 like everywhere else, I didn't realize it had gone up. Regardless, that fee is not payment for "fair treatment" as you see it. That fee is for them to consider your application. Whether they read your PS and decided you weren't a good fit for the school, or they neglected to entirely because your numbers were too low (again, very unlikely in your case), you can be absolutely certain they considered it. That is all you paid for.

I'm not sure who you think you are, that you've decided a rejection means the admissions committee is ignorant, but rest assured, with that attitude, few law schools would want you attending.

• Like 1